Tank Bag Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Nelson Rigg CL350 and it works nicely. Road all day in the rain and didn't even need the rain cover. The map started to get a little fogged up but I wasn't looking at it while riding anyways while riding RT 421 aka the snake in the rain.
+1 on the CL350 by Nelson Rigg. Used mine last year at SW-FOG. I liked it.

I can't say how it rates against others but I can say the Nelson Rigg CL350 works very well for me. Meets your stated requirements and seems very well made. No complaints at all. The magnets are very strong!

I also have a 21 L Cortech, which does not fit nicely on the FJR and I am not impressed with it anymore.
Wow I've never had a problem with mine
I havent had a problem with it per se...however it seems to lost it's shape. While traveling I leave it unzipped so that I can grab my camera out the main compartment and take a picture while moving. Being unzipped the sides tend to flop around. Where the magnets are located the cloth that is there to protect the tank has worn thru the first layer. I wrote Cortech about the problem and never got a response. On the Connie (C10) this bag works fine, not interferring with the handle bars, it interfers a tad on the FJR when trying to do a slow U turn or using the full swing of the handle bars. Of course I have stuff in the side pockets on the Cortech.

The Rapid one I got seems to be narrower, but like I said I just got it and I am sure I will find something I don't like. The price was a heck of alot cheaper than the Cortech 21

Willie

.......I will say the RKA is a quality unit.This is almost as much fun as an oil thread :rolleyes:
LOL, we've got a shitload of good oil choices, that are all about the same ...but a Tankbag, man-0-man, that is something that only a few of the manuf's have figured out.

.,..and when you're ready to do it right:

(clicky image)

These folks not only do a wonderful job, they support their product beyond belief. I've got a bag with well over 100Kmiles on it ....it needed a new clear map pocket, the part I need they no longer make. Instead of trying to sell me a new bag, they are making a custom map holder for me ....and charging me 20bucks including shipping. These folks rock. I've had a lot of tank bags over the years, I doubt I'll be buying anything but RKA from now on.
'

Gunny on the RKA tank bag. I have an "ancient" RKA tank bag and it is still going strong and one of their new 20 liter seat bags. The quality is top notch and so is their service! Plus, I don't know if it would matter to you, but it does to me that they are made right here in the U.S.A !
Hey Puppy, here is a customer service story for ya: Three days ago I called RKA to order a new map holder. Mine was brittle from years of sun and miles. My particular style has been discontinued. What did RKA do? They charged me a paltry 20bucks, including shipping, custom fabricated the item for me ..and today it was waiting in my mailbox when I got home.

I'd like to know how many manuf's would do that? I dare say none. These folks don't expect your business, instead they EARN your business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!!! I didn't expect this many responses this soon. And some of these I hadn't heard of yet. Man I love the people on this site!!!! Thanks Guys.....

I have the Nelson Rigg CL350 and it works nicely. Road all day in the rain and didn't even need the rain cover. The map started to get a little fogged up but I wasn't looking at it while riding anyways while riding RT 421 aka the snake in the rain.
+1 on Nelson Rigg...a very big bang for the buck...get them at www.newenough.com which is a great company owned and run by motorcyclists

Three diff bags of diff sizes: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/sets...57623737991809/

CL50 mini/micro - day rides

CL300 - medium - used the most these days

CL350 - large/giant - overnight touring - I have it "backwards" on the tank

I like the wide part toward me and the skinny/thin end toward the bars

hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'

I also have the CL300. Have had on a VFR800 and now on my FJR...great bag at a really good price.

I like my SW-MOTECH Engage tank bag. I like the fact that it uses a tank ring to mount and doesn't touch the tank. I also have the power option which allows for an easy power disconnect just by lifting the bag off the tank ring.
Engage Tank bag
I also have one of these without the power option. I like the fact that it's not touching the paint.

I also have one of these:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859/114/

for sale (I know, I know I'll post it in the proper place). Without the ring that mounts on the gascap. (There is a ring on the bag).

Well ordered and recieved the First Gear Laguna GPS Tank Bag. The fit on the bike and the convenience of how it holds a GPS is much better than I expected. Then again I haven't ridden with it on the bike yet. I'm optomistic that I'll be 100% satisfied with this bag....

Cortech Super 14 magnetic:

Tank bag link at Motorcycle Superstore.

& Pic.

FJRReady-1.jpg

Had it for a year now and about 13k miles. Still in great shape.

Cheers,

W2

I use a <a href="https://www.newenough.com/parts/luggage/tank_bags/rapid_transit/recon_19_magnetic_motorcycle_tank_bag.html" target="_blank">Rapid Transit Recon 19</a> tank bag. Big enough, but not too big, with lots of interior and exterior pockets. The magnetic mounting is very secure, even in those heavy crosswinds we all love so much.

I am so glad that I checked out this bag. I had to buy it off of Ebay and didn't get to see it in person, but what a bag. I highly recommend this bag. I'm a new rider and I am as anal retentive as they come. This bag has the pockets, a cover built into it, a place for your phone (I'm on call alot). For me it was perfect, thanks for the great advice!!!

Here's my basic style bike with the bag on it. For my needs it was perfect. There's some great suggestions on here, that's for sure.

IMG_1378Small.jpg

IMG_1380Small.jpg

Dang. I put the wrong photos on the post before this one, but I can't edit it. I hate being new :eek: )

Here's what the Recon 19 looks like now on my bike. I used a sticky plate from my GPS and stuck it to the clear plastic on the bag, then I put one of my maps inside the pocket and it stays stiff. But, I can see my phone, the GPS and all of my stuff is right there. Then I put velcro on the round pad and on the GPS and it has worked flawessly. I've been surprised as my other unit was mounted to the handlebars, but this was a better fit for me. I'm short so the screen is literally right under my nose. I carry my gun on me, but if I needed to, I could easily put it in the bag. :)

IMG_1390Small.jpg

IMG_1391Small.jpg

IMG_1389Small.jpg

That's an easy one. Go with the Yamaha FJR tank bag from Yamaha. These new bags rock.

<a href="https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=4613&group=M&model=3299" target="_blank">https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/acc...&model=3299</a>

i'm considering trying to order one of these bags. Can you answer a couple of questions for me:

1. how many liters will it hold (collapsed and expanded)

2. does it come with a rain cover

3. is it available in the US or do i need to order it from a euro site and have it shipped. (am i even able to order this bag in the US)?

4. does it convert to a backpack

5. what are its measurements when collapsed vs. expanded

its on the pricey side, but looks like it may be what i'm looking for.

thanx

GreyGoose

<!--quoteo(post=726312:date=Apr 15 2010, 04:12 PM:name=rjsMeTaL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rjsMeTaL @ Apr 15 2010, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=726312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like my SW-MOTECH Engage tank bag. I like the fact that it uses a tank ring to mount and doesn't touch the tank. I also have the power option which allows for an easy power disconnect just by lifting the bag off the tank ring.

<a href="https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2131" target="_blank">Engage Tank bag</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
+1. I have the City version of the above which is a bit smaller but a better fit and sleeker for the shape of our gas tanks.

I use a <a href="https://www.newenough.com/parts/luggage/tank_bags/rapid_transit/recon_19_magnetic_motorcycle_tank_bag.html" target="_blank">Rapid Transit Recon 19</a> tank bag. Big enough, but not too big, with lots of interior and exterior pockets. The magnetic mounting is very secure, even in those heavy crosswinds we all love so much.

I am so glad that I checked out this bag. I had to buy it off of Ebay and didn't get to see it in person, but what a bag. I highly recommend this bag. I'm a new rider and I am as anal retentive as they come. This bag has the pockets, a cover built into it, a place for your phone (I'm on call alot). For me it was perfect, thanks for the great advice!!!

Here's my basic style bike with the bag on it. For my needs it was perfect. There's some great suggestions on here, that's for sure.

IMG_1378Small.jpg

:thumbsupsmiley: I like the Rapid Transit 19 too. Its perfect for my FJR, but a little too long for my FZ1 tank. I like the built in cover (so I can't lose it) and the pockets are nice, lots of room, and pretty sleek so I barely know its there.

IMG_1380Small.jpg

Please add whatever new comments you have OUTSIDE the quoted material. Putting them inside makes it ridiculously and needlessly hard to figure out what the heck you are trying to say or add to the topic.

Thank you.

Moto-Centric Mototrek 19. Some nice features, built-in raincover with its own pocket, organizer section inside the top flap, removable map pocket, ports for an audio cable and Camelbak tube. Supposedly 19 liters, but looks somewhat smaller to me. Pretty simple and relatively cheap at about $72 from Bike Bandit.

IMG3392-XL.jpg

IMG3394-XL.jpg

I have a tank bag that came with the bike (used 05). Not sure what brand it is but on my recent trip I put a big scratch on my tank. One of the magnets had worn through. Be sure to check the condition of your tank bags underside.