tank bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although obviously others' mileage varies, I had a magnetic tank bag for about a week, until it started noticeably affecting my paint. It may be because it's metallic, but I will never again have a tank bag that touches the paint. I now have the Luggage Locker Tank Locker. It's a pretty good size and the tank ring keeps it up off the paint.

tank3a.jpg

I have their small Daypack. I had one on my old Ninja too.

the zipper on my current one is failing, I get a couple years daily commuter use out of them. Time for a new one!

I have a SW-Mototech/BagsConnection Trial QL from Twisted Throttle Clicky. The mounting system is something not previously mentioned in this thread - it mounts to a ring on the gas cap. There's pull cord at the front of the bag that releases a pin holding the bag to the mount, making it pretty easy to take off to fuel up.

shapeimage_3.png

The only problem that I have found, and I think it's easy to correct, is that with the handlebars fully over to the right, the starter button can get pressed by the corner of the bag. I'll be moving the adapter on the bottom of the bag forward to set the bag back when it's mounted on the tank.

I used to use a Rapid Transit bag that was just barely big enough for the two-way radio to fit. I still have it, but rarely use it now.

IMG_0302.jpg

ian

I just got this motocentric tank bag and the trunk roll. I was blown away by the quality and got it at a great price on Bike Bandit. $65 for the tank bag and $35 for the trunk roll.

I also have a SW Motech tank bag setup. I have the City bag which I love. It is not to big and not to small. I had the day pac 2 but it was just a little to small for what I needed. Here are a couple pics

citytankbag004.jpg

citytankbag001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a powered tank-bag and only use it for day rides when I need to get to a camera or music. For some reason I really do not like tank bags for longer trips.

I've got a Cortech Super Mini. Just enough room for phone, sunglasses, plug kit, flashlight, etc. Got the magnetic mount version.

Cortech Super Mini Tank Bag
This is the one I have, I wanted something about as small as possible, but have room for wallet, sunglasses and pocket camera, which this has and more. However, I can't recommend it. The nice thick heavy comfy handle hangs down and rubs on the gas tank where it is creating a wear mark. Would be a perfect bag for me if the handle was mounted so it didn't rub...
Went and checked my bag, and the handle doesn't come close to touching the tank.

I've got a Cortech Super Mini. Just enough room for phone, sunglasses, plug kit, flashlight, etc. Got the magnetic mount version.

This is the one I have, I wanted something about as small as possible, but have room for wallet, sunglasses and pocket camera, which this has and more. However, I can't recommend it. The nice thick heavy comfy handle hangs down and rubs on the gas tank where it is creating a wear mark. Would be a perfect bag for me if the handle was mounted so it didn't rub...
Went and checked my bag, and the handle doesn't come close to touching the tank.
Well what the heck is wrong with my bag and its saggy handle then?? Maybe we should both take pics and exchange to see the diff?? Or maybe you are placing the bag farther back, so taking better advantage of the curve of the tank? I hadn't thought about that until just now typing this...

Due to riding in the rain so often, and the want of having a wired tank bag, I had been dreaming of doing this for the longest time. ChiTown over on ADV has a great way of doing it, though I'd prefer a slightly larger Pelican case.

img2006km8.jpg

Only hitch is finding a base-plate that will work. I don't have $150+ to spend on a bag, when all I need is one of its components, and no one wants to sell the unit seperately. Givi, SW-Motech and Luggage locker all have these types of connectors (and I really like Luggage Lockers, due to the ability to lock the case to the bike).

It's either that or fabricate something myself, and that just wouldn't be pretty...though it's becoming more and more likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this motocentric tank bag and the trunk roll. I was blown away by the quality and got it at a great price on Bike Bandit. $65 for the tank bag and $35 for the trunk roll.

I have this tank bag also. Very nicely constructed and decently designed medium-sized tb. However, if you choose this bag make certain to cut the plastic rings off the front and back of the bag immediately or they will mar your tank. Don't ask me how I know.... Also, the map pocket is difficult to use with actual maps - the opening is too small for anything but a piece of paper.

I also have the FJR tb and I prefer it because i carry a lot of crap and that thing holds a lot of crap... and it has a laaaaarge map pocket plus spacious side pockets and a nice rear pocket as well.

Well what the heck is wrong with my bag and its saggy handle then?? Maybe we should both take pics and exchange to see the diff?? Or maybe you are placing the bag farther back, so taking better advantage of the curve of the tank? I hadn't thought about that until just now typing this...
I may have a pic somewhere. I'll PM you.

I'm extremely happy with my RKA expandable. Been using it for years; no visible signs of wear, no loose or broken seams, everything on it works just like it did when new. Raincover included, and the map pocket can be removed and re-attached to the rain cover. Small enough for day rides, but when expanded, has a pretty decent amount of room. Very nice, knowledgable, actual riders own the company, and have experience with all of their own products.

DSC01374.jpg

I'm extremely happy with my RKA expandable. Been using it for years; no visible signs of wear, no loose or broken seams, everything on it works just like it did when new. Raincover included, and the map pocket can be removed and re-attached to the rain cover. Small enough for day rides, but when expanded, has a pretty decent amount of room. Very nice, knowledgable, actual riders own the company, and have experience with all of their own products.
Brave man parking your bike in the middle of the road :p

OK, looking at these pics, I put my bag a bit farther forward then others, which may be why my Cortech Super Mini handle is hitting the tank and marking the paint. But I like were it sits I can glance down and rummage in it easier. And I fixed the handle rubbing issues with a couple of safety pins to shorten the handle straps this morning. Here's a pic of what my issue was:

IMG_4589.jpg

I have the Cortech Mini and have used it on four different bikes over maybe six years. I use it all the time as a glove box and like the accessibility. Typically carry my wallet, headphones, cell phone, camera, kick stand plate, pen/paper, tire pressure gauge, parking meter change, small flashlight, small calculator, gum, etc and still have room for short cuff gloves in a pinch. I've been trying to wear it out, but no luck so far. :) I'm a magnetic guy, so I just throw it on the bike and go.

I got to this thread because I was looking at a getting a larger bag for occasional over-nighters and long weekends. The Mini is a 7 liter bag, so for me "larger" means a 14 - 19 liter bag. I was just going to go with the Cortech 14 since I've had such good luck with that line, but as of this writing they are $120 give or take. Both the Mototrek 14 and 19 are less than $80, and the Rapid Transit 19 is about $95. Not an issue paying for quality, but is the quality the same across the bags I mentioned? Anyone have or use both?

Separate but related post. I consistently read or hear comments/preferences expressed regarding magnetic tank bags scratching paint. The solution for all types of bags that come in contact with the paint is simple, cheap, effective, and not my original idea. :) My link

I'm sure Northern Tool is a fine retailer, but this liner is available at Home Depot, Lowe's, hardware stores, etc. I posted this link so you could zoom in the picture and see the waffle nature of the product. All you need to do is lay it out flat on a table and set your bag on it just like it would mount on your bike. Even on black or gray liner, a pencil will show up enough for you to trace the outline of your bag and then cut the material with an ordinary pair of scissors.

The shelf liner is soft, clingy, light weight, durable, waterproof, and will absolutely not scratch paint. I have done this with my current tank bag and used it from day one on two new bikes over the last three years and not one mark. I still have the rest of the material waiting to cut out another pad, but the original has never worn out. It is easy to work with and provides an unobtrusive extra layer of ventilated protection between your bag and any painted surface.

Sorry if this was discussed or suggested somewhere else.....I'm new.