Tank Blurbling Sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm, sorry SkooterG - but please to do a search on "boiling" and you will be enlightened to learn my '05 was not "special" in any way when it came to boiling the fuel when hot after running in warm weather then shut off and sitting.
Ok, so I followed your advice. A search of "boiling" resulted in many threads, but only one with boiling gas in the title. CLICKY HERE for that thread. If you want to consider more threads as data points, YOU go find them. ;)

Well, I read that thread and I seem to be in good company when it comes to believing what the ROOT CAUSE of the boiling gas is. There are a few folks who report either the *one time only* gas boiling event, or the *very rare* event. They usually attribute it to heat, but most of the following discussion is about problems with venting. In fact, here is little gem of a quote from Jestal:

I would look for something wrong....period. No company makes a fuel tank that would spew fuel under normal conditions of heat and altitude. There must be a vent plugged for pressure to build that high. Fuel tanks are designed to vent

No doubt, when someone first encounters the boiling gas phenomena the first thought is that the well known heat problem of the FJR was the cause. But closer examination of the facts and fuel system design should lead one elsewhere for the ROOT CAUSE. No doubt, heat is a CONTRIBUTING FACTOR, but it is NOT the ROOT CAUSE.

If heat were the root cause, why aren't FJR gas tanks boiling on a regular basis all over the country? Why doesn't mine or vectervp1's boil when we ride in 115+ degree heat? I mean, I still see threads started on a somewhat regular basis about the FJR's HEAT, yet the boiling gas thread is pretty rare. If heat were the root cause of boiling gas, it would be all over this forum. Make's sense, no?

We were sitting around eating and someone mentioned the post about my "special" bike with the gasoline boiling and it turned out that four of the eight bikes were also "special" and had experienced the same thing.
You must have "special" gas up there in Washington. Or, perhaps the same aliens that are stealing the air from Twowheelnut's tires are zapping the gas in your FJRs and making them boil. Me, I just think it's the occasional clogged vent system showing itself.

All of them were '05's by the way.

Are you trying to allude that this is a problem specific to the '05 model? I would find that extremely hard to believe as the 05 is pretty much identical to the 04, and also the 03. Except for color that is. Hmmm......maybe that's it. You *special* folks who rode the little school bus to school, and bought that *special* ugly-assed, slow, blue FJR, get the *special* boiling gas tank. :p

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Actually, bad venting leading to tank overpressure would tend to prevent boiling, as pressure raises the boiling point. See Cooling Systems in my new book, Buncha Answers For Shit and Stuff.

Actually, bad venting leading to tank overpressure would tend to prevent boiling, as pressure raises the boiling point. See Cooling Systems in my new book, Buncha Answers For Shit and Stuff.
Exactly!

The build up in pressure will allow to fuel in the tank to absorb all kinds of heat without boiling. That is until the cap is opened and the pressure suddenly drops. Then, instant boiling gas.

Gee, your a smart feller. Or is that fart smeller?

:p

"You must have "special" gas up there in Washington. "

Washington?? - my sig says Texas so not sure where you got that?

I'm only reporting the facts as relayed to me last night by others. That they were all the faster '05 models is only that.

BTW - none of the boiling was when the the fuel cap was opened, it happened with the tank closed and bike sitting.

My bike has never exhibited any signs of excessive or even high fuel tank pressures.

Your version of the reality of this issue appears to be based upon not having ever experienced it (so therefore it doesn't/can't exist?) whereas mine is on what actually happened - to my bike and the four others last night.

But, I'm glad yours has never boiled the fuel.

Forrest and I will just keep ridin' cause mine no longer does it.

P.S. - just checked over on www.st-owners.com and the burbling gas in tank issue was a recent hot topic of discussion there also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to search for gurlge, blurble, bubble, and bubbling but couldn't find anything on this. I don't know if it has been discussed in the past....
When I turn my FJR off, I am hearing some bubbling, gurgling sounds that seem like they are coming from the gas tank. It actually does it most if I turn the ignition on but don't start the bike. Is that normal? I've never noticed it before.
Mine has that same sound, when I turn the ignition on, and then flip the kill switch on, I have always thought the gurgle sound was Elanore's way of saying woohoo................time to ride!!!!!!!!!

"You must have "special" gas up there in Washington. "
Washington?? - my sig says Texas so not sure where you got that?
My bad!!!! I thought I you were somebody completely different. Didn't even look at your sig. Silly SkooterG. Now that I am back on track........ Joseph! Is that you?

BTW - none of the boiling was when the the fuel cap was opened, it happened with the tank closed and bike sitting.
Well, now that's an interesting turn of events. Seems we are talking about apples and oranges here as I never even considered that scenario. Perhaps that was my fault for jumping to conclusions on what was happening, however, in the future folks need to be very specific about conditions under which the event is occurring so we are all on the same page. So far every report of boiling fuel I have read about, has come to the attention of the rider after he has opened the fuel tank.

First, how do you know it's actually boiling if the cap is closed? You can hear it? Did you ever open the tank and see it?

Are you sure it's not fuel burbling not from boiling, but from being released from the fuel rail or something?

Your version of the reality of this issue appears to be based upon not having ever experienced it (so therefore it doesn't/can't exist?) whereas mine is on what actually happened - to my bike and the four others last night.
There is a certain amount of truth to that, but not completely. As I said before, I never knew of the distinction of boiling vs. opened cap boiling. Based on the claims I was aware of, previous discussion (as in the thread I linked previously) always led to probems with fuel tank venting/pressure relief. And if I had a dollar for every time someone reported something incorrectly based on their reality, perceptions, and biases, well, I would be a rich man

While I retain a certain amount of skepticism about these claims since they have never happend to me or several others I know who have ridden a lot of miles in EXTREMELY HOT TEMPERATURES, I don't doubt that is very possible. Especially after shut down when there is now no airflow to cool the tank. Regardless of pressure, given enough heat, any liquid WILL boil. And if the tank is very low, well a lot less heat will be needed to get it to boil.

Still, I stress again, why aren't these results more repeatable? In other words, why hasn't it happened to me as well as many others? If this is a *normal* occurrence, why not more reports on the forum? I wonder if perhaps it's still some sort of venting/pressure builid-up issue that manifests when the engine/ignition is turned off, pressure is released and the result is boiling. Much like the fuel cap release scenario, but somehow caused by engine shut-down. I am just reaching here, but am wondering if that is at all possible. Radman? Jestal?

Very interesting, I will pay more attention to this in the future. We need more data points with specific info however. Here are my questions for some of those reporting in this thread, or when it happens to folks in the future.

I am assuming one can hear boiling with the tank closed, and this is on shut-down, because there is no logical explanation at all for fuel boiling on start-up.

Is it heard immediately on shut down, or does in take XX seconds or minutes before it starts?

Is this with the ignition on?

Fuel pump running?

When you open the cap, can you see the boiling gas?

What happens when you open the cap? (be careful) Gas spit out? Hiss of escaping vapor/air?

How much gas in the tank?

How long does it last?

What were ambient conditions?

How was the bike being run?

Any home-remedy heat fixes done such as the under tank blanket?

P.S. - just checked over on www.st-owners.com and the burbling gas in tank issue was a recent hot topic of discussion there also.
Interesting, but comparing apples and oranges again. We need to concentrate specifically on the FJR.

I had a similar sound just after installing one of those tank insulation kits, figured it must be a kinked line, reinstalled it much more carefully. Now I think it is resolved.

2004 FJR w ABS

I experinced a very loud gurgling sound from under the tank when shuting down the FJR after a ride home from work. Air temp was around 75 degrees where I live. Only traveled about 35 miles. The engine was not extremelly hot. After letting it sit and turning on the ignition (did not start the bike) the loud gurgling sound started again and stopped in about 4 seconds.

That night, no problem, no sound. In the morning, no problem, no sound.

I just wanted to document this very strange sound here on the Forum.

Have a great ride all.

Mark :ph34r:

mine was through personal experience. as reported on the forums, in 8/2003, after a run through the desert NW in official temps of about 110° (hotter on the tarmac in the real world) , i stopped to get gas in SLC. opening the gas cap resulted in a STREAM (not a mist) of fuel shot into my face. only my prescription glasses protected my eyes from certain disaster.

when i got home, i followed the general recommendations on how to best set up the drain tubes (cut the ends at 45° so the opening points toward the back of the bike). i then cleaned and serviced my fuel filler neck (and added it to my PM list): https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ff/ff.html

since then... no problems. as i already had the insulated blanket under my tank when the event happened ( https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/insul/insul.html from 4/2003), i'll have to put my X in the "venting problem" column.

WOW if I got my wife pregnant the same time #26 was posted I'd be a father by now! :ph34r: Luckily, the pill worked again.

Just to let everyone know, I have a 2004 FJR and supossedly because of venting problems according to dealer, my tank completely imploded, thankfully Yamaha covered under warranty and the dealer installed a brand new tank, make sure you don't have any venting problems, mine imploded sitting in my garage and i never had any gurgling sounds prior to this. Steve

Just to let everyone know, I have a 2004 FJR and supossedly because of venting problems according to dealer, my tank completely imploded, thankfully Yamaha covered under warranty and the dealer installed a brand new tank, make sure you don't have any venting problems, mine imploded sitting in my garage and i never had any gurgling sounds prior to this. Steve

Define "completely"...

Maybe if yours relieved itself like all of the gurgley ones yours wouldn't have even imploded partially?

Well if you want to get technical about it, the left side of the tank was sucked in about 4 to 5 inches with large crease and the right side not quite as bad, but the tank was not repairable by presurizing it. Your'e probably right if mine had been gurgling it may not have imploded. Steve

Direct answer's for scooters quetions from a 03 FJR (86,000 kl) Not the mechanical type but learining as I go, thanks. It has done this since new. I also were ear plugs but even my passenger has noticed while on the road: - within 5 minutes of shut down, ignition off, fuel pump off, cap closed, open cap... no escaping fuel or air noticed, can't see any "boiling gas", occurs when tank is 1/4 to full (no difference). Seems to happen when the tempeture is between 75 F to 85 F. The warmer the temp the more noticable the blubling. Riding conditions for me is usually two up or 10 to 20 mph above the posted speed limit with occasional bursts of speed. No heat fixes or mods othet than trimming the breather tube at a 45% degree angle away from the front. (good tip from a few years ago) Will check the routing of the tube this winter. Opening the cap and leaving it open for 30 sec to a minute seems to solve the issue. Maybe it's not related but my old FJ1200 ( 1988 -2003) did exactly the same thing.

Tell ya what....my `04 gas tank burbled from day one during warm to hot weather over 4 summers. Never had crimped/kinked hoses, often heard the sound within 20minutes after shut down, never had gas spew out the top and often saw boiling bubbles rising from the bottom of tank.That bike was a deep roaster of an oven and the boiling gas was just another symptom of a design issue. Thankfully, I came to my senses and traded her in for the `07...kinda miss the burping sounds though. :assassin: :yahoo: