Tank dent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Reaction score
I hope this is a new topic. I couldn't bear the idea of scrolling through 167 pages of topics to find out. If it has already been discussed, please forgive my newness and point me there.

The second day after I brought my FJR home last year, I dropped it in my driveway. Fortunately, it didn't scratch or scrape anything, but when I hefted it back up, I must have pushed my knee on the tank and put a little dent about the size of a half-dollar there. Although I haven't dropped it again, I have since learned to turn around and push em up backwards. But, that's spilt water under the bridge.

I talked to a couple of paintless dent repair guys but they said they hadn't had much luck popping dents on motorcycle gas tanks because of baffles and general access problems. One said he be willing to give it try, maybe with one of those hot-glue pullers, but but never showed up for his appointment and kept lying every time I called to reschedule. Probably a drinking or drug problem. I seem to be getting a lot of that from tradesmen lately.

But, I digress. Has anyone had any luck removing small dents in gas tanks? I got one of those hot glue pullers, but the little voice in my head keeps telling me not to do it.

Franko, the guys you spoke with are correct - there are baffles in that tank around the fuel pump and opening.

Dent removal is designed to work on automotive panels such as doors and fenders. The FJR tank is made of substantially stouter stuff - it's made to handle fuel as well as varying pressures.

I'm not sure that removing that dent is a good idea - the metal in the dent has already been stretched, and it may not respond well to being stressed a second time. Doing the hot glue pull out may very well blemish the paint which would make it even more visible.

IMHO, were it my bike, I would just leave the dent. Shows that you ride it.

Best of luck!

If you are intrepid and adventurous there is an old hail damage trick you can try :graduated:

Have on hand ~ 8 oz dry ice from your local chemical/gas supply company and one heat gun set for mid power. Run your gas tank down substantially below the dent. Best is to completely remove the gas tank and lay it down so that the dented area of the tank is flat. --CAUTION-- Wearing heavy gloves place the dry ice on the dent. If the tank remains on the bike you will need to use something like duct tape to tape the ice to the tank, just be sure it is in full contact with the tank. Let sit until most of the dry ice has sublimated away. Now preheat the heat gun to medium heat. Whip off the dry ice and start running the heat gun (at a safe distance) over the dent. If it is going to work the dent will pop out fairly quickly. If the dent don't pop PDQ, it ain't gonna. Sometimes works, sometime not.

A dent actually stretches the metal. By putting dry ice on the dent it causes the metal to contract (shrink). When you apply heat the metal will expand again and in theory the rapidly expanding metal will be forced to pop back out into the original shape.

Dry ice demo.

Same idea, but using a can of computer air duster. In place of the air duster you can also order a spray can of Freeze Mist (I use it in electronics for troubleshooting).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

I wish I could get used to that little dent, but it is right on top and everytime I see it, it seems to get bigger. Pretty soon I fear it's going to start blinking. I may try the dry ice, but I have serious doubts for success. I think the dent is too deep for that. I couldn't even see the dent on that video.

Franko, the dent guys were correct, about access on the tank. But if you can access the dent it can be repaired by the paintless dent removal method. It is difficult to find a good person to do this as you've found. The other alternative is to have the tank repaired the convential way and repaint. It's not that big of an item and I hope you figure it out. Take care, PM. <>< ;)

The dry ice method is cool...I know an old body and fender man who hated bondo for dent repairs, he had the knack of cold/heat removing dents, and used it on restorations of classic cars...he could also torch heat and shrink bigger dents but this method involves repainting after, which he would do on his projects anyway...heat it up and cold shrink it after application of heat. But he also had access to put pressure behind the dent to help move it back to shape, not likely to work on a fuel tank...good luck...

...or you could always just get a bigger tank bag, if that would cover it before it starts blinking at ya... :blink:

Franko, if I could just add, I faintly remember somewhere in the cobwebs of my aging demented mind that someone had removed a dent in a bike's gas tank by pressureizing it and the dent popped out. This could be possible but seems dangerous and should only be done by a professional, but maybe someone in the know might be able to clairify. And remember if "any" heat is applied to a gas tank, there are strict proceedures for heating or welding on a tank. Seems to me one has to be washed out with water and purged with Argon gas or something like that beforehand. :dntknw: Keep us updated as I also have a small dent in the front of my 06 but I'm pretty sure it is accessable for the paintless route. PM. <>< ;)

Back in 1960 I came across a well used Whizzer bicycle conversion kit with a dented chrome gas tank. An old timer told me to just fill it with water and let it freeze somewhere. So I filled it and put it in my folks fridge freezer overnight. Worked pretty good, but Mom wasn't pleased when she opened the door to get some ice cubes and saw the tank. Plus everything inside smelled like gasoline. Boyz. Mowed the lawn for free that Summer.

Gary in Fairbanks