Tank Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
OK, I need some help here. I am looking for some kind of tank grips for my knees to grip during braking and cornering. Something with a lot of grip, but not too large since my knees contact the tank just above the plastic trim piece around the bottom of my '08. I am not looking for a "tank protector" such as the Magnight, but something black and rubberized. Preferabley removable in the future if selling the bike. It could be custom cut to suit the size I am looking for.

I find that I am sliding into the tank during braking, especially two up. :blink: Hope to find something before the riding season that will help!

Thanks!

PS Perhaps I should just stop waxing the tank so damn much!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I need some help here. I am looking for some kind of tank grips for my knees to grip during braking and cornering. Something with a lot of grip, but not too large since my knees contact the tank just above the plastic trim piece around the bottom of my '08. I am not looking for a "tank protector" such as the Magnight, but something black and rubberized. Preferabley removable in the future if selling the bike. It could be custom cut to suit the size I am looking for.
I find that I am sliding into the tank during braking, especially two up. :blink: Hope to find something before the riding season that will help!

Thanks!

PS Perhaps I should just stop waxing the tank so damn much!
Have a look at this from premier cycle accessories

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Tec...Tank_Protection

I was thinking about using some magnetic material that comes in sheets for knee protection on my '08.

I have some of the sheets that are about 8x10 and thought about cutting them to fit and then spraying them with high gloss black paint. Something to do this winter.

Is there such a thing as rubberized paint in a rattle can?

I'd be interested in hearing what you finally come up with.

One of the guys at last year's SFO had just what you are looking for, that looked factory cut. Self sticking.

I can't think of the make of the stuff (I think it was for BMWs). It was similar to the black rubberized rear tank protectors for the squid bikes, but of more durable looking material than the wet suit rubber looking stuff.

Maybe he will post up, or you might have a look at some of the BMW sites/suppliers.

:beach:

I have the Tech Spec Gripster pads, they work well and go on easy. had a problem with the first one, but they sent me a new one and it has stuck very well. LINK HERE

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like the Tech Spec is just what I was looking for. I thought I ran across it in my search, but wanted first hand reviews from the community. Now I have to decide on the Snakeskin, or the Fusion material!

Hi Boqus, Dean Davis from TechSpec here. If you are pondering which material (Snake Skin or High Fusion) maybe I can help you out. Both our HF and SS are close to equal in coefficient of friction/grip. Where you will notice a difference is in the feel of the materials. Snake Skin is a .125" thick, medium durometer rubber of which feels like you have some padding between your legs and the tank. High Fusion is only .035 thick and offers NO padding. When you squeeze down on our High Fusion, you will feel direct feedback from the tank itself. Some riders like the padded SS feel while others like the harder HF feel. Both are great materials and can take a serious beating.

Thanks Dean. I just ordered the snakeskin tank grip universal so I can custom cut it. I notice that when I sit on the bike, it looks like I don't need the grip as high as the cuctom cut piece. If you are still watching this topic, could you tell me if the re-usable adhesive will adhere to the plastic trim around the bottom of my '08? I plan on splitting the grip between the plastic trim and the tank only where my knees make contact. Thanks again! Bill

Hi Bill, I don’t like to display last names on forums, but I see we have an order from Bill M. Are you possible Bill M that ordered 62-0003? If yes, you are good to go!

To answer your question, our releasable adhesive (62-0002) does NOT bond well to plastics. But our dirt bike adhesive (62-0003) works great.

If you’re not Bill M. what is your order # and I'll see if it’s shipped yet.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: