Tank Heat Shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
I have a new tank but didn't realize that the heat shield liner on the bottom did not come with it. Any idea if this can be ordered separate or is there something better that I could use?

Canadian FJR

What heat shield liner? Gen-I's didn't have them.

I got a blankie for mine from Smitty when he was making them.

The 'heat shield' they added starting with the 2003 model (thank the aussie owner complaints of previous years) was simply some crappy reflective tape. I am surprised yours didn't have it. Many have added home-grown versions, either the blanket that Walt mentioned above, or some sort of stick on.

The only commercially available one that I am aware of is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-FJR1300-FJR-HOT-TANK-HEAT-FIX-INSULATION-KIT-/190642904180?forcev4exp=true&item=190642904180&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
On my first '05 I did the complete "heat fix" because I felt like I was sweating everytime I rode it, even in winter. Then when I got my replacement '05 in July 2011 I thought, "Oh, I need to do the heat fix." But I never have and have not noticed any problem with heat, including when I rode it home from Phoenix in 120-degree heat. Curious....

The underside of the tank isn't prone to getting wet, and it sure wouldn't stay wet if you're riding. I did all the heat fixes and have that foam tucked into the fairings. It doesn't really absorb water. It's the same stuff you use when fitting an air conditioner in a window, and is closed cell foam intended for exposed uses.

On my first '05 I did the complete "heat fix" because I felt like I was sweating everytime I rode it, even in winter. Then when I got my replacement '05 in July 2011 I thought, "Oh, I need to do the heat fix." But I never have and have not noticed any problem with heat, including when I rode it home from Phoenix in 120-degree heat. Curious....
As you get older, you lose more and more feeling below the waist. Could it be that?

But on the topic, I have a sheet of insulation Bust sent me one time--he had some extra from doing his own, IIRC. I kind of trimmed as I went and it ain't pretty under there, but I believe it helps, and who sees it? But there's nothing that works like the Bagster tank cover I bought used and added later. That thing really helps keep the heat of the gas tank off my legs. Plus it's what the matching tank bag is mounted to. On the other hand, they're hard to find used, and damned expensive new. I mean like Corbin Smuggler expensive. ouch. But yeah, you need something.