Tank Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markkim12

Reaction score
Made the mistake of taking a ride while wearing a jacket that had exposed metal snaps on it. After a 100 miles or so, I dismounted only to notice that the bottom snap had began to rub through my tank paint. It became apparent that I needed to make tank protection a priority. Looks like my least expensive option (as far as specific products for bikes) is the 'Tankslapper'. The Mag-Knight products are also appealing but significantly more expensive. Any comments? Have I missed some other options? Timely responses appreciated as this needs to get done. Thanks folks!

I added a tank pad for this very problem-

5a_2.JPG

Adhesive mounted, and very effective. The tank slapper kit works, but riders have had mixed results in application, not to mention it goes a little overboard if you mount all of it. Might as well just dip the scoot in plasti-guard.

Timely responses appreciated as this needs to get done. Thanks folks!
Uhh........

You should have thought about this BEFORE scratching your tank!!! :blink:

Either of the two you mention are probably your best bet. Pick your poison and git er done!!!!

I would recommend that if you go with the Tankslapper kit, you get it in the 3M material. You really never need to remove the film, and it will hold up better in the long run.

Me - 2+ years, 51,000 miles, and NO scratches on my tank! :bleh:

I added a tank pad for this very problem-
5a_2.JPG

Adhesive mounted, and very effective. The tank slapper kit works, but riders have had mixed results in application, not to mention it goes a little overboard if you mount all of it. Might as well just dip the scoot in plasti-guard.
Is that the Yamaha tank pad?

I bought the MagKnight to cover a mishap on my tank. Also to protect it from me. It was nice to begin with, but never did fit very well, and has since cracked and needs trimmed or replaced. I think I will go with a bra next. Not real crazy about the success of my MK over time.

I bought the MagKnight to cover a mishap on my tank. Also to protect it from me. It was nice to begin with, but never did fit very well, and has since cracked and needs trimmed or replaced. I think I will go with a bra next. Not real crazy about the success of my MK over time.
I also have the Mag Knight tank protector. Mine fits (I had to use a heat gun to fit it), but it "sheds" a gummy goo around the edges which I assume is the adhesive that holds the outer side to the magnetic side of the protector. It wipes off with a cleaner. I like the protection which is more than you will get with just a tank pad- especially around the bottom of the sides. The color is not an exact match on mine personally, but perfection is difficult to achieve.

I have a Mag Knight and I was having problems getting the curved edges to lay down even when useing a hairdryer and then useing masking tape to hold it down overnight .So I took it off and carefully cut mine into three pieces. It now fits great, is really easy to put back on and the small areas of the tank near the seat are not scratched at all.

You can see a pretty good idea of my results if you go to the "IMAGES" section and scroll down to "MT Hood Oregon". I almost tossed mine before doing this. Works great for me.

The tank pad above is made by Progrip. Here's their site: Progrip site

They only list distributors on their site, not dealers, but I would imagine most dealers and accessory houses could get what you want. Maybe check with Gary @ University Motors?

Hmmm, they also have a matching carbon-look gas cap cover? Might have to think about both...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. They have a transparent model 5007 that might be just what I am looking for. Guess I'll be doing some shopping.

I'm using the Tankslapper kit too....the water/friction installed one, not the 3M adhesive style....now for my 3rd straight bike. I love their product and IMO its not horrid like tank pads look. Plus when its time to resell, you pull off the Tankslapper and your tank looks brand new.

Just my $.02

Josh

I ride with Motoport kevlar pants and coat. Very rough exterior, so I needed something for the silver side covers as well as the tank center and sides. I originally bought just the tank kit. fifteen bucks. The sides went on great, but the crotch piece gave me a little trouble. After noticing that I needed the side panel pieces also, I called Tankslapper. VERY GOOD customer service. I was told what I did wrong on the crotch piece, and given about twenty minutes worth of installation instruction. I was able to purchase for seven dollars both side pieces I needed, a new crotch piece, the official application squeegie, shipping included. There are a couple pin point size specs that could not be eliminated, but other than that, it's invisible. It can be taken off and reapplied as many times as you need to get it right. I just quit when it was close enough. There is no glue to worry about. If after time, it dulls from scratching, it can be removed and replaced without ANY damage to the finish. The 3m is great until you need to take it off. I know my gear is going to scratch it and scuff the surface over time. This kit goes on by spraying water on the tank, applying the material, and then squeezing the water out. I'm in this about 23 bucks. I'm still 80 bucks cheaper than the magknight.

Thanks. They have a transparent model 5007 that might be just what I am looking for. Guess I'll be doing some shopping.
I tried the clear version. Was thinking it would "disappear" on the tank and not be as noticeable. Well...the adhesive around the edges was slightly loose and dirt ended up (under) around the protector edges. Looked terrible.

Next protector will be a carbon fiber look type. My $.02

--G

How about true full tank protection. Like a Bagster. https://tinyurl.com/3ah4j

I understand that with the Bagster you cant see that beautiful tank, but being a bit paranoid I took this route. When I pull the Bagster off the tank is still cherry. The other tupperware is starting to suffer from 30K of riding but hte tank is still primo.

my $0.02

I had an upholsterer in Boulder, CO make one for me that I posted about in another FJR site. It has closed cell foam padding on the sides and is fully lined. Comfortable, helps with the tank heat and easy to put on and take off. Contact information and link to pictures below:

Stan

Boulder Auto Interiors

Address 1730 38th St

Boulder, CO 80301

Phone (303) 444-5779

tank bra pics

I had an upholsterer in Boulder, CO make one for me that I posted about in another FJR site. It has closed cell foam padding on the sides and is fully lined. Comfortable, helps with the tank heat and easy to put on and take off. Contact information and link to pictures below:
Stan, if you don't mind my asking.....what does he charge for them? I would be seriously interested in one myself.

I gotta tell ya'll, after all the praise I gave my Mag-Knight tank bra in the beginning, it sure didn't last long. It is just under a year old and it looks rough. The magnets from my Joe Rocket tank bag have really distorted the surface underneath them. Where the Mag-Knight meets the seat is all wrinkled and the joint where the tank sides extend out is cracked and ripping. I went with old dog's idea and cut mine today into 3 seperate pieces. My shapes don't look as good as his, but hopefully it will work out til I can get something else.

I think Stan's getting around $70 for them. I'll check with him tomorrow for a firm price.

Bob

I tried the clear version. Was thinking it would "disappear" on the tank and not be as noticeable. Well...the adhesive around the edges was slightly loose and dirt ended up (under) around the protector edges. Looked terrible.

Next protector will be a carbon fiber look type. My $.02

--G
Thanks for the warning on the clear pad. I am puting one on my Christmas list. Something one of the kids could get for me without spending too much. Guess I'll specify either blue or carbon.