Tank Protector & Hard Case Scuff protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kootenayguy

Reaction score
A cruiser guy was interested in my bike and asked if he could sit on it. My mistake was assuming he would know to lift his leg high enough to not hit the hard case with his boots. You know what happens when you assume. Its a scuff which I think will polish out (glad I got a good coat of wax on it) but does anyone know of some sort of assessory that will protect the bags from this? Secondly, despite getting a good wax on the bike like I was saying I managed to get two scratches on my tank, on which I know will not come out. Anyways, I see Yamaha has those sticker thing protectors for part of the tank which may help in that one area just in front of the seat but what about that entire area of the tank? I remember a long time ago seeing leather tank protectors but I don't see them much anymore, does anyone know why? I am thinking that perhaps they trapped dirt and actually caused the problem as opposed to preventing it. If I am off base with that theory can anyone direct me to such a product?

A cruiser guy was interested in my bike and asked if he could sit on it. My mistake was assuming he would know to lift his leg high enough to not hit the hard case with his boots. You know what happens when you assume. Its a scuff which I think will polish out (glad I got a good coat of wax on it) but does anyone know of some sort of assessory that will protect the bags from this? Secondly, despite getting a good wax on the bike like I was saying I managed to get two scratches on my tank, on which I know will not come out. Anyways, I see Yamaha has those sticker thing protectors for part of the tank which may help in that one area just in front of the seat but what about that entire area of the tank? I remember a long time ago seeing leather tank protectors but I don't see them much anymore, does anyone know why? I am thinking that perhaps they trapped dirt and actually caused the problem as opposed to preventing it. If I am off base with that theory can anyone direct me to such a product?
Check out Premier Cycle Accessories, they have what your looking for, I got the tank, faring, and bag protector kits, I have a full tank bra from Bagster but they are PRICY!! around $150.00 and you can get different color to match your bike.

Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a Second Look half tank-skin a few weeks ago (from the group buy).

I'm really liking it, it completely covers all the vulnerable areas of the tank.

Mike

Don't ASS-U-ME anything when it comes to your FJR.

i too have let others sit on my bike, but i explain full as to how to throw the leg over as to not scuff the bag.

i've found that one way to minimize a potential scuff, put the bike on the center stand for easier mounting.

cadman

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't recommend side bag protection, but I had a Bagster tank cover on my FJR and I just got one my BMW 1300 GT! They cover the entire tank and they look very good!

Best regards,

Shane

I am thinking that perhaps they trapped dirt and actually caused the problem as opposed to preventing it. If I am off base with that theory can anyone direct me to such a product?
I too just installed color matched Second Look skin on my '07. Looks great and functional. With any bra or skin keeping the covered surfaced thoroughly clean and waxed is important. Second Look clearly states this in their instructions. Any dirt under the cover will act like sandpaper. I wish I had matching ones for the side cases as I even hit the right one every once in a while. Again, a good coating of wax has protected it from being permanently scarred.