Tank Protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMC, check out the Bagster set up before you make up your mind.

the tank bra fits like a glove and is very versatile.

I get lots of positive comments on it.

A little on the expensive side but well worth it.

12,000 on my 05 FJR and the bra and bag look as good as new.

It also helps stop some of the heat that comes up between the tank and the seat.

Mark

Though a lot of people are very happy with their Mag Knight setup, my experience with it was a little different. While using it with my "magnetic" yammi touring tank bag, it removed the magnetism from the Mag Knight within the first couple days of touring. Also the CF look started to orange peel/crease up and generally look like ass in a lot of places without any abuse on my behalf. My guess would be from the heat of the sun on the adhesive?

To Mag Knight's defense, they did instruct me to return it for a look-see, but I haven't bothered up to this point. I think the magnetism issue could be resolved by replacement, but that CF look sticker will probably not hold up perfect for much time in the baking sun. YMMV

MagKnight here also (CF on '05) including the top piece around the gas cap but I have mixed reviews about its performance.

I did not have any real problems with installation with light heat for persuasion. I also use an Eclipse magnetic tank bank without problem.

It really does what its supposed to but begins to look like ass after hard use. Grit builds up on the upper edges which can work its way underneath. The inside bends begin to crack and split and the top layer begins to peel.

For the most part I've been happy with it and it worked better for me than the tankslapper I had on the '03. Can't imagine what the tank would look like now had I not had it.

I will probably buy another...maybe...

Tank protectors.....Kinda like leaving the plastic on your furniture isn't it?Whats the sense of having a gorgeous paint job if you are going to cover it up with some fugly shit anyway?
+1

The cure is worse than the disease. We all want to protect our paint but just about every product out there looks like crap when you put it on.

I have the carbon look Mag-Knight on the FJR and my pants are wearing the pattern off. I think the whole thing looks pretty cheesy but I'm too lazy to change it at this point.

I'm trying the tankslapper on the GSX-R and we'll see how that works. Still I couldn't get ALL the little bubbles out. But for $15 bucks it's worth a test.

I've been thinking. If my bike has to look like shite with something on the tank why not get something functional.

Next time I am going to try StompGrips

-R-