Tankslapper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Has anyone tried the "Tankslapper" tank protector film? It's this clear film that goes over the back of the gas tank to protect it against zipper and button scratches. Having a brand new bike and already seeing a few very small surfacy scratches, I'm thinking about it.

Any other ideas on how to protect the tank? I'm not into the look of those stick on protectors. I'd prefer a clear solution.

Thanks,

Steve

I bought the Tankslapper kit for my bike. Was time consuming to put on. Took hours, looked good, but it did not stand up well. It collected moisture, dirt, bugs, etc. underneath as the windsteam, rain, etc. lifts it up. If you get it in the 3-M semi-permanent form it might be ok.

I am now using the MAG KNIGHT tank protector. It takes some patience and attention to the instructions, it looks good and works as advertised. I think the black makes a nice contrast with the factory blue paint.

I painted a protective stripe on my bags with black truck-bed paint. Really protects from the scuff marks, easy to clean, and looks good (as least to me).

See this thread for more information if you are interested:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=13108

Well I finally bought and installed the Tankslapper film. It went on much easier then I thought based on what many of you have said.

Used a small laminated card that seemed to work just right for the squeegy. When I have to reapply it in the future I will move the pieces around a bit, but right now I think they'll work out well.

For $20 including shipping I think this is a nice option. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Well I finally bought and installed the Tankslapper film. It went on much easier then I thought based on what many of you have said.
Used a small laminated card that seemed to work just right for the squeegy. When I have to reapply it in the future I will move the pieces around a bit, but right now I think they'll work out well.

For $20 including shipping I think this is a nice option. Thanks for all your suggestions!
I had a tip-over recently (kick stand brain fart) and as I attempted to slow the bike's decent the hard woven fabric over the pad on my left knee scratched the hell out of the TANKSLAPPER film. The product stayed in place and did it's job.

That could have been the paint! $20 bucks well spent I'd say, not to mention knowing the frame sliders actually work ...priceless! :clapping:

rb

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no problems with the tank slapper, but I later went all the way with a bagster tank bra. (DD) It's the ultimate in protection and I think it looks fine. *$% is always hitting my tank and the underbelly is like brand new. Plus, it mates to a tank bag as easy as clip clip.

IMG_0007.jpg

For anyone interested , I have installed standard 3M rockguard in several areas of my bike, including the tank, the tops and fronts of the bags, and the front of the fairing. This stuff seems difficult to work with at first, but I've done a ton of installs on cars and bikes, and if you are considering it, dont hesitate to contact me for my hard earned tricks and tips. When installed properly, it is virtually invisible, and bulletproof.

kiki

Hello,

This topic keeps coming up so I will give you guys an alternative solution to the tank protection problem. I own a decal company and one of the products we use is a 22 mil clear protective soft flexible vinyl with 3M adhesive. I have been using this on my bikes and my friends bikes for years with great success. Here is what I can do, I will offer pieces of the 22 mil clear flexible vinyl, with 3M adhesive, 13"x22", with installation instructions and a squeegee. I will sell 1 sheet for $15.00 , each additional sheet for $8.00, plus $6.50 shipping and handling.

This will have to be cut into the shape you want and applied to the bike wherever you feel it needs some protection. This is not difficult and gives you the ability to add pieces where you find you need it. I usually have some on the tank, for belt buckle protection, and also another piece on top to protect the tank from my tank bag. I also have used it on the lower fairing, hard bags and even headlights.

When installed, this stuff is virtually indestuctible and will not come off. If and when you decide you want to take it off, just peel it off and wipe off the residual adhesive with goo gone or some other citrus based adhesive remover.

If you have any questions, or would like to place an order, contact us at;

1-800-525-9395

[email protected]

Thanks,

Clay Hirner

Award Decals Inc.

I also tried the 3M stuff on the plastic Headlight lenses, wonderful protection I'm sure, but there's a big learning curve to getting it to work on a curved area. Condition have to be just right. I ruined a couple of stickons during the process. The reusable Tankslapper film is much much easier to install but not nearly as durable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the tank slapper kit as well as the blue magknight set. For the money I think the tank slapper is OK not great and it takes a little time to install. I think you can't do any better for a total protection kit though. I love the magkight side and top covers but you can't use a magnetic tank bag....it is for this reason I have both. One word to the wise...it is very very hard to get the edges not to show any air under them. I would buy this kit again....Steve