Tar snakes west of Custer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson

Reaction score
There is a discussion going on in another thread about "tar snakes" or "road tar snakes"---the sealant that patches cracks in pavement, and how it can be dangerous or slippery for bikes.

A warning....when you are at CFO, you should know there is a section of Highway 16 about 10 miles west of Custer with a s**tload of tar snakes. It's a fairly short section, a couple of miles, but it is in the extremely TWISTY section of the highway that goes through Jewel Cave National Monument. The tar snakes there are so numerous, and on curves, that you can't avoid them. You'll be coming around a corner, perhaps at a speed that will allow few options for changing your line, and up ahead you'll see bunches of the bastards.

I have had the tires slip on them, then slide out to actual pavement, and keep on going, without TOO much drama. :blink: But it's probably a good idea to slow down a bit there.

The bad area is mostly, but not entirely, within the boundaries of Jewel Cave. So going west, when you see the "Entering Jewel Cave...." sign, slow down. And it continues for about 1/2 mile west of the park, until the road straightens out again. It's only a couple of miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up Jackson. Rick and I will be heading out that way for the SS1000. I talked to him about heading out early in the morning on that section can be dicey anyway being early in the morning. So we will be taking it easy for sure. I can talk to you about it Weds evening when we get there. Thanks for the heads up.

devanator

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's the section to which I was alluding on the other thread. I know just what you mean. Phil

It seemed to me the first four or five miles of Vanocker Canyon road northbound out of Nemo is collecting quite a few snakes too!! Of course this was during Sturgis and there were so many Harleys out there, it was impossible to get anywhere near a speed that would have caused some "pucker factor"!!

It seemed to me the first four or five miles of Vanocker Canyon road northbound out of Nemo is collecting quite a few snakes too!! Of course this was during Sturgis and there were so many Harleys out there, it was impossible to get anywhere near a speed that would have caused some "pucker factor"!!

Its not too bad. I try to ride it at least once a month.