TBS Issue: Can't go highter on Cyl 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamirr

Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the middle of my 16K mile service and am doing a TBS.

Cyl 3 was low, and I've adjusted it to meet the 250 mm Hg factory spec. When getting the other cylinders to match it, I can't go any higher on the air screw for Cylinder 2.

Increasing idle helped a little bit, but I've now maxed that out too. Any suggestions?

Start over. 250 isn't important. Gently seat No3, then back it out 1 to 1 1/2 turns, Use that as the base and sync the others to it. Make sure the idle is readjusted when you reset No3. You got caught chasing 250 and got yourself in a position where you had no play left.

Start over. 250 isn't important. Gently seat No3, then back it out 1 to 1 1/2 turns, Use that as the base and sync the others to it. Make sure the idle is readjusted when you reset No3. You got caught chasing 250 and got yourself in a position where you had no play left.
Just to clarify, there have been many threads discussing how trying to adjust #3 Cyl screwed up their (main) idle adjustment screw, which as RadioHawie explained is really a big/main air adjustment. So after you follow BkrK12's instructions make sure you've regained or still have ample Idle screw adjustment.