Tech Day XXVII - October 5, 2024, in Marysville, Ohio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
It's time once again for the best-damned midwest FJR Tech Day EVER!

Edition #27 will be in sunny, beautiful, Marysville, Ohio, and will be hosted by me and Sooze, which means that I'll open the garage doors and Sooze will make sure everyone is well fed.

Plan on Saturday, October 5, 2024, for this edition. For folks who cannot make this a day ride, or have serious stuff to do on their bikes and want / need to stay the night Friday and / or Saturday, we have plenty of floor space and a few inflatable mattresses. And cats. We have cats. Plenty of cats. We also have plenty of back yard for anyone who wants to throw down a tent. There are also hotels in Marysville that are much less "memorable" than the place TimDOG stayed at in Owosso. I'll open the doors on Friday afternoon-ish.

Post up if you are coming. Please include:
1. When you plan on arriving and if you are staying overnight. That helps the innkeepers to plan and stuff.
B. What you're looking to do to your bike. Plan on wrenching on your own bike with folks nearby who have already either broken what you're working on or have completely screwed the pooch on what you're working on. If you're not sure what parts you will need for whatever you wanna do to your bike (say, a valve check or a fork rebuild), the sooner you speak up, the sooner you can get parts advice.

The Brain Trust usually brings most tools needed to get most jobs done. I have these things in the garage called 'tools' that ... well, other than the metric screwdrivers, I'm not really sure what they are or how to use them, but other people have used them and their bikes (mostly) ran, so that's good.

If you need tires, speak up so that we can try to have a tire changer there. Otherwise, there may not be one. One thing we learned at a prior Tech Day, thanks to FJRPittsburgh, is that Cycle Gear on the west side of Columbus is The Place if you have a sudden, unplanned need for a new tire.

As a reminder, if you wanna do a valve check, plan on getting there Friday evening, early Saturday morning, or trailering your bike. The engine has to be stone cold to do a valve check. If you don't have a shim kit, we'll try to have one available.

If you wanna ship parts there ahead of time, speak up so we can get ya the shipping address. And if you haven't been to this little patch of Ohio, let me know so I can get you the address.

If you want a hotel, here are some options:
Hampton Inn - I've had family stay here and they said it was nice.

GrayRay has stayed at this Super 8 and did not have a TimDOG experience.

JWilly (I miss that guy) and his better half stayed at this Holiday Inn Express.

There is also a Quality Inn.

There is a fairly new Fairfield Inn.

And there is a new-ish Home2 Suites that's nice. Sooze and I have stayed there a couple of times and it was pretty nice.

There is also another airbnb at a winery / brewery aboot 5 minutes from the house, but it doesn't look like they have availability. I have been in this place, we have had family stay there, and we know the owners. If anyone is interested, I can ask the owners aboot availability / see if you can be put on a wait list or something. FYI - their parking is all gravel.

We do have plenty of yard space for tents. If huron52 wants to bring his big-ass RV trailer down, we have plenty of room in the driveway. Getting it in and out of the driveway could be a challenge, though. Also, speaking of RVs, if anyone has an RV and is a member of Harvest Hosts, the folks at the winery / brewery are a member of that as well.

I am not active in this or any forum, but I would like to attend. What does my bike need? Probably a lot but I am more interested in learning then taking up peoples time with my issues. 2007 with 27,000 miles. I would grab a hotel and probably be there Friday night/early Saturday.

It's time once again for the best-damned midwest FJR Tech Day EVER!

Edition #27 will be in sunny, beautiful, Marysville, Ohio, and will be hosted by me and Sooze, which means that I'll open the garage doors and Sooze will make sure everyone is well fed.

Plan on Saturday, October 5, 2024, for this edition. For folks who cannot make this a day ride, or have serious stuff to do on their bikes and want / need to stay the night Friday and / or Saturday, we have plenty of floor space and a few inflatable mattresses. And cats. We have cats. Plenty of cats. We also have plenty of back yard for anyone who wants to throw down a tent. There are also hotels in Marysville that are much less "memorable" than the place TimDOG stayed at in Owosso. I'll open the doors on Friday afternoon-ish.

Post up if you are coming. Please include:
1. When you plan on arriving and if you are staying overnight. That helps the innkeepers to plan and stuff.
B. What you're looking to do to your bike. Plan on wrenching on your own bike with folks nearby who have already either broken what you're working on or have completely screwed the pooch on what you're working on. If you're not sure what parts you will need for whatever you wanna do to your bike (say, a valve check or a fork rebuild), the sooner you speak up, the sooner you can get parts advice.

The Brain Trust usually brings most tools needed to get most jobs done. I have these things in the garage called 'tools' that ... well, other than the metric screwdrivers, I'm not really sure what they are or how to use them, but other people have used them and their bikes (mostly) ran, so that's good.

If you need tires, speak up so that we can try to have a tire changer there. Otherwise, there may not be one. One thing we learned at a prior Tech Day, thanks to FJRPittsburgh, is that Cycle Gear on the west side of Columbus is The Place if you have a sudden, unplanned need for a new tire.

As a reminder, if you wanna do a valve check, plan on getting there Friday evening, early Saturday morning, or trailering your bike. The engine has to be stone cold to do a valve check. If you don't have a shim kit, we'll try to have one available.

If you wanna ship parts there ahead of time, speak up so we can get ya the shipping address. And if you haven't been to this little patch of Ohio, let me know so I can get you the address.

If you want a hotel, here are some options:
Hampton Inn - I've had family stay here and they said it was nice.

GrayRay has stayed at this Super 8 and did not have a TimDOG experience.

JWilly (I miss that guy) and his better half stayed at this Holiday Inn Express.

There is also a Quality Inn.

There is a fairly new Fairfield Inn.

And there is a new-ish Home2 Suites that's nice. Sooze and I have stayed there a couple of times and it was pretty nice.

There is also another airbnb at a winery / brewery aboot 5 minutes from the house, but it doesn't look like they have availability. I have been in this place, we have had family stay there, and we know the owners. If anyone is interested, I can ask the owners aboot availability / see if you can be put on a wait list or something. FYI - their parking is all gravel.

We do have plenty of yard space for tents. If huron52 wants to bring his big-ass RV trailer down, we have plenty of room in the driveway. Getting it in and out of the driveway could be a challenge, though. Also, speaking of RVs, if anyone has an RV and is a member of Harvest Hosts, the folks at the winery / brewery are a member of that as well.
Very Cool, not for me as I live on the West Coast but that you and your wife are so generous. You are true FJR Patriots!

Excellent, just added it to my calendar.
I'm a little outside a day trip (4.5h) so I'll aim for arriving late Friday night (9ish), bring a tent and use the back yard.
I don't currently have any work needed on the bike (that could change), but I want to see where I can help out, get to know others on the forum, grow some farcle envy.
I might leave Saturday evening or Sunday morning.
I'll need an address?
Thanks for sponsoring this.
Tim

hello fellow FJRers..looking to come to your TechDay and do the following to my 2022 FJR..1-Head Bearings 2-Flush Brakes and Clutch 3-Replace F/R Brake Pads 4-AntiFreeze and Thermostat 5-change Fork Oil...Im pretty handy so wondering if all that is doable in the time allotted ? thxs-Mitch

Last edited:
It was suggested that I should probably rebuild the forks (or coming up at least.. ot having an issues). I ordered a traxxion kit. (Traxxion Dynamics Fork Spring Kit OMNI 1.10kg/mm ). I am not sure if I need any other parts. Please let me know if I do. Instructions recommend Maxima 7w oil so I will get some of that.

just looking for an excuse to go "somewhere" before the snow flies. I'mma keep track of this and hopefully come from the flatlands and 90 degree turns of IL I'd love to check valve clearances and maybe change plugs. I'll bring my own plugs and feelers. Pls continue to update with details. Like the address. love to camp in th yard Friday, but might leave the machine and uber or bum a ride back to a motel. TIA and ride safe!

Ohio? In October? Dude! As much as I would like to attend and leave some boogers for you and Mrs. Geek, that sounds freaking cold!!!!

Ohio? In October? Dude! As much as I would like to attend and leave some boogers for you and Mrs. Geek, that sounds freaking cold!!!!

Ohio in October is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. But, considering what you're used to - yes, it will be cold to you.

As we're getting closer, it's time for the Attendance & Who-Needs-What post for this Tech Day.

I think this is everyone and everything as of now. If'n I missed anything / anyone, or any of you have any updates, please let me know and I will update this list accordingly.

Here's what I got:
Geeks
  • Arrive When: 2015
  • Lodging: We live here
  • Work To Be Done: Brake & clutch bleed
  • Help With: Food & lodging

Great Canadian Invasion Farce
  • Arrive When: Friday
  • Lodging: Penthouse rooms at the Casa
  • Work To Be Done: Drink beer (and Forty Creek) and know things
  • Help With: Whatever needs done

extrememarine
  • Lodging: TBD but he's really good at the whole improvise, adapt, overcome mantra
  • Work To Be Done: See comment above

huron52
  • Arrive When: PFFFFFT! He never gets to go anywhere!
  • Lodging: ??
  • Work To Be Done: Toss bookcases at unsuspecting bystanders

El Toro Joe
  • Arrive When: Saturday
  • Lodging: Day tripper
  • Work To Be Done: Point & laugh
  • Help With: Comic relief but hopefully his wife bakes cookies again

FJRPittsburgh
  • Lodging: Hotel
  • Work To Be Done: Hopefully not need an emergency rear tire replacement. JSNS
  • Help With: Beer fetcher

FYB
  • Lodging: A corner in the Casa
  • Work To Be Done: Break another one of my damn lawn chairs

TimDOG (tentative - needs a hall pass)
  • Arrive When: Friday?
  • Lodging: TBD
  • Work To Be Done: Valve check
  • Help With: Electrical stuff - he's pretty handy with a soldering iron

d-eagle (tentative - needs a hall pass)
  • Arrive When: Friday?
  • Lodging: A corner in the casa
  • Work To Be Done: Steal TimDOG's ear plugs. Or was it the other way around....
  • Help With: The bringer of the Jack Daniels Honey

blind squirrel
  • Lodging: A suite at the Super 8
  • Work To Be Done: Brake pads on his S10
  • Help With: Assistant Beer Fetcher

FJRFarrier & Her Gang
  • Lodging: Day trip!
  • Work To Be Done: Hang out & chat
  • Help With: Anyone have a horse that needs shoes?

FjrVfr
  • Lodging: Day trip (but pack your tent ... just in case)
  • Work To Be Done: Drink beer
  • Help With: 2nd Assistant Beer Fetcher

gray ray
  • Arrive When: Saturday. Or not. Depends on the weather.
  • Lodging: Hotel, usually
  • Work To Be Done: Drink beer and know things
  • Help With: 3rd Assistant Beer Fetcher

Bbbrowles
  • Lodging: A suite at the Super 8
  • Work To Be Done: Fork spring upgrade, bushings and seals

HilltownDave
  • Arrive When: ??
  • Work To Be Done: TBD
  • Help With: Returning Ray's tools (and he's a pretty damn good wrench in his own right)

tschutter
  • Arrive When: Friday night
  • Lodging: A tent in the back yard
  • Work To Be Done: Watch how things are done and get to know the misfits

thinkingofone
  • Work To Be Done: '22ES steering head bearing torque, clutch and brake bleed, possible brake pads, coolant & thermostat, fork erl

Gene Weygandt
  • Arrive When:Friday
  • Lodging: A tent in the back yard
  • Work To Be Done: Valve check & change plugs

Last edited:
I plan on arriving Friday early evening. I took the day off so I dont need to drive straight…no idea the route I will take so no idea when exactly I will arrive. I would like to at least meet people on Friday. Super 8 is where I will be. I plan on leaving Saturday evening and more a straight route home…subject to change.

I plan on arriving Friday early evening. I took the day off so I dont need to drive straight…no idea the route I will take so no idea when exactly I will arrive. I would like to at least meet people on Friday. Super 8 is where I will be. I plan on leaving Saturday evening and more a straight route home…subject to change.

Sounds good! I usually open the garage and put up the Yamaha flag Friday mid-afternoon.

That reminds me: for anyone coming here for the first time, our driveway is very easy to miss, so keep an eye out for this:

IMG_8338-X3.jpg