Tech Inspection Miller Motor Speedway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bes

Reaction score
Need experienced input. Doing a Sport Touring thing at the track and tires need to be 'New or Near New Condition'. What does that mean. I have 2800 miles on these and will put another 700 on prior to inspection. https://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt241/barryestevens/

I'm dependent on retail for the install, so me swapping tires back and forth won't work. I do not mind spending the money if necessary, but I'm not into wasting it. FYI, I'm taking a day off work, traveling 500 miles and have lodging ect... for 2 nights, so getting up there and NOT getting on the track would be sub-par. Thanks Guys, Barry

From my experiences, you should be fine. What kind of tires are those.......Look maybe like Diablo Strada's ?

It really all depends on the folks who are putting on the track day, or school. You didn't specify exactly what you are doing and who it is with. From the numerous track days I've been to, they don't get to picky unless your tires are obviously on the worn side. The pics you showed looked like you would be OK.

Of course, take this as just one data point in making your decision. :blink:

From my experiences, you should be fine. What kind of tires are those.......Look maybe like Diablo Strada's ?
It really all depends on the folks who are putting on the track day, or school. You didn't specify exactly what you are doing and who it is with. From the numerous track days I've been to, they don't get to picky unless your tires are obviously on the worn side. The pics you showed looked like you would be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tires are stock Metzs. It's not a track day, just on the track==> no knee pucks for me. Sport Tour

Even if you ride at a moderately brisk pace until then, you'll be fine. Ride easy and you have no cause for worries.

Most tracks want the tires to have at least 70% of the tread remaining. I personally won't ride to a track day. If something unfortunate happens you have no ride home, and need to tow the bike back.

Stay alert and have fun.

One assumes you're talking about the START. You might PM Cdogman as he's taken the class before and would have a better idea of their requirements.

Most tracks want the tires to have at least 70% of the tread remaining. I personally won't ride to a track day. If something unfortunate happens you have no ride home, and need to tow the bike back.
Stay alert and have fun.
+1 I would always truck in my bike for track days. I did know of a few that rode in and all was well, but I don't recommend it.

I have never done a Sport Touring track day, that should be lots-O-fun.

IMHO your tires look fine; however, it's up to the people putting on the track day.

Also realize this, if you happen to get up to some great speeds and you really heat up your tires and then they cool down in between sessions (heat cycles), this will quickly take a toll on the tires. Your tires have some miles and after some heat cycles they could be shot for stickiness. If they looked glazed, glossy, or have a discoloration your tires are for sure spent and will handle like crap and be very slippery. They could be that way without the tell tale signs too.

That being said, be carful, enjoy your track day, they are a blast!