Tech Mount Feedback Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benneyb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am waiting for my Garmin 2610 to arrive, and am planning to mount it on the stem with a Tech Mount. I read in another thread that these don't last that long due to the plastic bushings.

Can anyone who has experience with the Tech Mounts please comment?

Is there a Ram Mount option for the stem that is better?

Thanks in advance.

Steering stem mount does not employ bushings.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

TWN,

So, you're happy with your unit? No slop in the movement of the arm and platform? How long have you had yours?

Thanks again.

Quite happy. I've had it for about a year and it remains tighter than a virgin's, er, nevermind. I use it for both the GPS and video camera so I adjust it each time I switch.

Now, the Techmount that holds my SatRad does have bushings and I do retighten the allen screws from time to time. No biggie, though..

;) I just ordered one just like the one in the above pictures, Stemnut type so i can mount camara. I have road with Twowheelnut just this last weekend i can say he has a nice set up..

Jdog109socal

Stupid question. How is the stem nut tightened to spec so the mount lines up fore and aft? I am considering buying one for my 2610.

Stupid question. How is the stem nut tightened to spec so the mount lines up fore and aft? I am considering buying one for my 2610.
The stem nut is tightened down before you put the mount knuckle on it.

The lower mount knuckle has an allen bolt in the middle of it to attach it to the stem nut, that way you can align the lower knuckle up "for and aft" before attaching the arm and the upper mount knuckle.

Hope that makes sense.

Skippy

George Zelenz had a tech mount (I think) that broke near the end of the '05 IBR. (Can anyone verify that it was indeed a TechMount??)

He told me that the manufacturer replaced it quickly without any trouble. I'm not sure what that says about the product, but it's a point for customer service.

EDIT: Nevermind...I was way off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid Question Time - Using the Tech Mount for my Garmin 2610, what is the correct/best option for attaching the GPS to the Tech Mount? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Sparky, I got mine straight from Techmount (in FL?). Damned if I can find the link for you, though...
I used techbiker.com as the prices seemed to all be the same (expensive).

Thanks

Side note:

Christmas week I was off and did the fuse block under rear seat.

Blaster Horns.

Powerlet outlet. When I finally got done my wife asked me if the bike was still going to start after all my messing with it. Very funny.

Ok, so I go to start it after she left the house of course and it didn't want to start.

Kept turning over but wouldn't fire up. I guess the winter cold had gotten to the battery a bit. Finally after twisting the throttle a few times and massaging it after firing up barely I got it running. Lots of smoke and obviously had flooded.

I found it almost impossible to get the bolts back into the tank to hold it down at the neck. I had to hold it up and get them started and used them to force the tank forward. I was scared of stripping them but no matter what I did couldn't get the holes to line up. I kept checking to make sure no lines were getting crimpped. Anyone else find this lots of fun... :D

When you raise the fuel tank don't forget to loosen the long bolt that holds down the rear of the tank. If you don't the front bolts are hard to lign up if not impossible to start without stripping threads etc.

When you raise the fuel tank don't forget to loosen the long bolt that holds down the rear of the tank. If you don't the front bolts are hard to lign up if not impossible to start without stripping threads etc.
Thanks that is the hint I needed.

For mounting the Garmin to the Stemstand, I use the locking Touratech mount (bolted to the Stemstand). IIRC, I bought it at Cycle Gadgets, but you can shop around.

Thanks. I don't want to go the $$$ Tourtech route, so I'm going to try the $10 Garmin cradle they list as compatible with their standard top plate. I don't anticipate leaving the GPS on the bike long enough to ever be a temptation.