Tech Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freesundae

Reaction score
I am always impressed by good customer service and when I see it I always try to go out of my way to let everyone know how great a company is.

I bought a Tech Mount Stem Stand from Cycle Gadgets, when I got it and installed. The lower pivot bracket threads were stripped. I called them first thing this morning. The customer service rep. didn't even hesistate to offer to send me a new one. She also mentioned that she would include a return so that they could evaluate what happened on the bad one.

I will update once I get the part.

I just want everyone to know how nice and helpful they were when I called.

Kudos to Tech Mounts.

Tim

Since this is about Techmounts and customer service, mind if I chime in? I'm confused - did you call Techmount or did you call Cycle Gadgets?

I won't say that my experience with purchasing a Techmount stand from another provider is good or bad customer service - I'll let you be the judge....

I'll keep this short and emotionless for now, but, my patience is running thin. No emotions, just facts.........

1/19 - I send Techbiker.com an email asking them if they sell the Techmount stem stand with the shorter shaft (that particular item isn't on their website). 20 minutes later, they respond telling me that they sell it, give me the part number and tell me to make mention of it when I place the order and they'll make sure I get the right one.

1/25 - I place the order and send them an email with my order number asking them to verify that they'll be ordering the right part number (the one that they told me to use, but, isn't on their website)

.......I get no response

1/26 - My account is debited

1/27 - I send them an email telling them my account has been debited and, again, asked them to verify that I'm getting the right part

........I get no response

1/30 - I send them another email asking, yet again, to verify the right part was ordered

........I get no response

1/30 - I call Techbiker.com to talk to someone about this. No answer. Answering machine says to send email (done that). There are instructions to send a page. I followed instructions to send a page and didn't receive a return phone call.

Wow - That's all I have to say. I almost ordered it from Techbiker.com but Cycle Gadgets was a little cheaper.

I called Techmount, but my experience with Cycle Gadgets was pure vanilla. I ordered on-line got all of the necassary e-mail updates, the product shipped the same day, and it was in my hand by the end of the week.

Thanks for the story. I now know to steer clear.

Tim

YMMV, but I ordered the same basic setup from TechBike on Thursday/Friday of last week... they were very good about getting back with me and figuring out exactly what I wanted and needed to order. Just got an email notifying me that my package is in transit with UPS.

I also noticed that they now sell the Stem mount and AMPS plate as a combo item so you don't have to order them seperately... probably because they've seen people come in and order it that way.

Randy, try emailing them again...

Guess I spoke a few hours too soon. Nice package sitting on my doorstep when I got home. Everything delivered as ordered.

Still would have been nice to return my emails, but, glad it worked out ok.

Come on Randy..... pictures if you don't mind.... or even if you do mind.... ;)

I also noticed that they now sell the Stem mount and AMPS plate as a combo item so you don't have to order them seperately...
I also ordered a techmount from Cyclegadgets today and they told me that their top plates are machined with several hole patterns now, instead of needing seperate plates.

But, if you want the rubber bushings for vibration, they are a seperate line item. Unit was in stock and shipped today.

Also for anyone who owns the SP 2730, there is a mounting plate coming in about a month, that will work in conjunction with the techmount to hold the XM receiver puck.

Come on Randy..... pictures if you don't mind.... or even if you do mind.... ;)
Gotta borrow a socket tomorrow and I'll get 'er mounted up. Still waiting on the GPW to get here, so, if you don't mind I'll hold off a couple days till it shows up.

My stuff showed up today... all as expected, although either I'm doing something wrong, or the motorcycle mount screws will not work with the rubber mounts, and the screws that will work with the rubber mounts are too short to use with the Garmin Motorcycle mount... anyone else run into this?

What all did you get, Groo? I don't have my Garmin and cradle yet, so, I don't know how thick it is. But, I got the stem mount and the adapter plate. Included with what I got were 4 rubber grommets (the flat part of the rubber grommet sits on the top of the plate). I also got 2 sets of 4 screws - 4 have round heads and 4 are flat head for recessed mounting. They seem long enough, but, won't know until next Wednesday when my GPS and cradle gets here.

Did you get 2 sets of screws? I thought I read somewhere that some of the Garmins stuff is set up recessed to accomodate flat head screws.

I got screws out the wazzootey. The Garmin motorcycle mount came with 4 loooooong screws, which were the wrong size for the rubber bushing inserts. Of the ones that came with the plate (and there were like a dozen), there are some medium sized flat heads that fit the Garmin mount recessed holes, but they aren't long enough to reach the inserts in the rubber bushings... they're too short by about 1/2 an inch (not just to reach, but to fully engage and have a few threads of clearance). Nothing that a quick trip to Home Depot or Lowes won't fix tomorrow. I went out and installed the stem stand, and got the plate right about where I think I'll want it... it's going to sit beautifully between the bars. On top of that, I've been busy learning how to create routes and stuff... that and downloading half a gig of the US detailed maps onto a new 1 Gig flash card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow-up note... 1 inch long 6/32 thread SS flathead screws work perfectly with the rubber bushings/Techmount plate/Garmin Motorcycle mount. I'll post some photos tomorrow.....

Lookin good. I'm curious to see if the Garmin cradle for the Quest II is different from the one you have.