Tech Spec Pads on 2014 Red

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Anyone applied any of the black (as opposed to clear) tech spec pads to their red 2014 FJR? Interested in looks and feel. Tank is super slick and super cold in cooler weather. I want something a bit grippier.

You mean like these?

100_4651.jpg

That is the TechSpec Snakeskin 3 piece set. I have the center piece adjusted to protect the tank from the back end of the Bags Connection City Evo tank bag, which would hang down and rub on the paint if that piece were not there.

(Ignore the 60's shag seat above. That was just a temporary loaner seat while I waited for Russell to return my customs.)

100_4652.jpg

Edit - Almost forgot... Yes they are just as grippy as they look. I like them a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect. Thank you. I'm scrubbing on the tank and figure I might as well put something over the sides for comfort and to save the paint a little. I'd rock a seat like that and dare people to laugh. I'm due a seating adjustment, but I think I'll have to try something lesser before leaping full on into a custom seat.

Techspec USA

Mine are the "snake-skin" ones. The photos on the web site are a bit misleading. The main photo of each material is showing the shape of the pads all are the "High Fusion" material (Looks like rubber sand-paper).

You have to click on each to get to the second picture showing the actual material you're ordering.

Techspec also makes a pad for the top of the saddle bag that helps us short/old folks keep from scratching up the bag. They don't have it on their site so you have to call and ask for it.

Niehart, thanks for the tip about the saddle bag pad. I have spent a lot of time cleaning up the scuff marks on the top of the right side bag. As I have gotten older and shorter both, it is a constant task to keep the top of that bag looking good. I've had the tank grip pads on my '09 since new and they still provide enough grip. Price inquiry for the luggage top pads already sent.

Seeing how I can't seem to copy the link to my posting here on this Forum relative to your subject....go to Parts and Accessories type in Tech Spec, click the search tab. A few entries down click on TechSpec Snake Pads for Side Cases , by ZOOOM AGAIN. I designed a template and the folks at Tech Spec made me two pair. The pics will show you how really nice they came out (IMHO). If you do order some, be sure to request the aggressive adhesive. Otherwise they won't stick because of the curve on the top of the side case. I know several peeps here have ordered them. Hope this helps.

The website for TechSpec sucks big time. Impossible to look at a picture of exactly what you will be getting.

Does someone have the part number for the center tank protector in snake skin? I have the side pads (fantastic) and the saddlebag protectors (equally fantastic).

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Hey !!! That link to the Tech Spec saddle bag protectors is a photo of ZOOOMM's bike!

I feel lucky to know someone so famous- lol

Purchased the TechSpec pads for my FJR saddle bags. Did not get the aggressive adhesive and now hating life for the purchase. I can confirm the removable/reusable adhesive is not the way to go on these. Concept...great...implementation...False. I am with the US Forces in Germany and now hope I can get the aggressive adhesive to get the pads to work. Do not get the standard adhesive guys and girls, it does not work!!!

Yes. Order the TechSpec with aggressive adhesive. This is true especially for the side cases. Not as imperative on the tank.

All,

I just emailed Melissa (at Tech Spec) recommending that Tech Spec never sell/ship the side case pads without the aggressive adhesive. I have always tried to warn folks to order the side case pads with the aggressive adhesive, cuz we learned the hard way too.

Hey Slowshifter, perhaps if you contact Melissa directly she'll make it good for you. She knows better.