Techmount stemstand info needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TWN, I've been considering ditching my K Drive cover and bag and going to the Bagster. When you gas-up and you rotate the bag up, does the bag clear all the extra "stuff" you have mounted directly in front of it?Jim
Depends. If I have the GPS 'down low' then, no. If I have it up high, then yes unless I have the bag fully extended. However, since the gas nozzles have been spitting fuel all over the place lately :angry: , I've been popping the whole thing off. Takes but another five seconds, so it's no biggie.

Well, well, well............

Thanks everybody for the info, but you aint done yet! ;)

Thanks for the piccies Groo. Uh, Skyway, still wating on your bucko. Though it is probably moot. With the info sgoat and Bounce provided, I am now thinking the Garmin cradle may not be the best choice.

So it sounds like the Touratech, or the RAM. I didn't know anything about the RAM, so I did some research and it appears the below is the RAM 26XX/27XX cradle:

RAMHOLGA9.jpg

Looks ok, and I appreciate the input that it works well, but I think the dealbreaker for me is that it is not locking. Somebody clue me in if I am wrong, but isn't a locking mount desirable? I am not talking about leaving it in motel parking lot overnight, but at restaurants, or quick stops, isn't it almost necessary to have some type of locking mounting system? Or am I totally missing something?

So right now I am leaning towards the Touratech locking mount, pricey bugger that it is, and a Stemstand with 3.5" arm.

Question: How does one attach the Touratech cradle to the Stemstand plate?

Any feedback, discussion, or opinions on any of the above is more than welcome and copiously desired!

yamahlr,

Mine is the 1.5" stem... it blocks my view of nothing but the key position... which is kinda intuitive... ;)

And one would think that if the Garmin GPS motorcycle mount was breaking on everyone, they'd recall or redesign them... Still waiting to hear from bounce or someone else why their's broke in the past...

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was my 2730 and I could afford the touratech locking mnt., then it would be a no-brainer. Hope to hear a good ride review of the 2730 from Skooter once he gets his squared away. Very impressive unit and maybe my next!

@SkooterG

Looky here...

Touratech to Techmount

That's the same set-up I'm considering but, I think, it's necesary to drill holes in the Techmount plate to attach the Touratech.

BTW, I never did get a response to my e-mail to Techmount re: this exact same question.

I have this set-up for my 2720 and had to drill two extra holes to get four bolts to hold the touratech mount to the techmount plate. The plate is aluminum and very easy to drill. B)

Here's another example of a Techmount stand for a TomTom GPS, using the 1 1/2" stem. (The RAM mount on the right is for a small video cam). For me, the advantage of a stem mount was that it places the GPS not far from my line of sight, but as importantly, it puts the unit as far from my aging eyes as practical! ;)

IMG_3051.jpg

A closer view. I had to remove the the D&D risers and handle bars to get a socket in to replace the stem nut.

IMG_3052.jpg

Well, well, well............
Thanks everybody for the info, but you aint done yet! ;)  

Thanks for the piccies Groo.  Uh, Skyway, still wating on your bucko.
Way late with this, but here it is anyway. This is right about what I see when in the saddle. I can see over the yammi touring bag easily, but in this position if the bag was extended, it would be in my line of sight.

IMG_0916.jpg

Skyway, looking good iwth the new addition. Good to see you are continuously working on adding the farkles or as I call them, "stuff"

Got to take a spin on my KLR 650 today. Just some safety training. First ride since 27 Dec 05. Gona take it easy but the weather was so great and I am feeling so good that I took a swing onver the saddle. Will probably move up to BlueJay next week. Hope all is well up there. Looking forward to seeing you soon and putting the Audiovox on the AE which may be delived in May, IAW YOC. Later

Skyway, looking good iwth the new addition. Good to see you are continuously working on adding the farkles or as I call them, "stuff"Got to take a spin on my KLR 650 today. Just some safety training. First ride since 27 Dec 05. Gona take it easy but the weather was so great and I am feeling so good that I took a swing onver the saddle. Will probably move up to BlueJay next week. Hope all is well up there. Looking forward to seeing you soon and putting the Audiovox on the AE which may be delived in May, IAW YOC. Later
The last piece of 'stuff' I'm getting is a radar detector and I'm so done! From here on out its tires and oil only.

I'm glad to hear your back on 2 wheels.

The last piece of 'stuff' I'm getting is a radar detector and I'm so done! From here on out its tires and oil only.
Yeah, right.

You know how many times I have said that?

The last piece of 'stuff' I'm getting is a radar detector and I'm so done!  From here on out its tires and oil only.
Yeah, right.

You know how many times I have said that?
That statement doesn't account for all the things I said I wanted before I said this. :D

That statement doesn't account for all the things I said I wanted before I said this. :D
I like that.

From now on, I am going to call that the "Skyway Exception" as it relates to buying farkles after having vowed "no more".

Yeah, I like that.

Just don't tell vectervp1 about it. That dern boy has officially gone off the deep end. Fookin loco!

I have this set-up for my 2720 and had to drill two extra holes to get four bolts to hold the touratech mount to the techmount plate. The plate is aluminum and very easy to drill. B)
You know what? I don't believe a word you said. I think you are a pimply faced 13 year old who is making it all up.

In fact, I think you need to take it all apart, take pictures, and post them here as proof of said installation.

Then your credibility will be restored. ;)

I like that.

From now on, I am going to call that the "Skyway Exception" as it relates to buying farkles after having vowed "no more".

Yeah, I like that.

Just don't tell vectervp1 about it. That dern boy has officially gone off the deep end. Fookin loco!
:D

ICUA.jpg

Question: I will be ordering my Techmount stemstand mount soon. Do I just get the standard sized plate for mounting the Touratech GPS cradle? Or do I need to get one of the optional larger plates?

Question:  I will be ordering my Techmount stemstand mount soon.  Do I just get the standard sized plate for mounting the Touratech GPS cradle?  Or do I need to get one of the optional larger plates?
The standard size plate will work. The plate from cyclegadgets already has the correct hole pattern drilled, but the holes are not 3/8dia. if you want to use the little rubber bushings to remove any hi frequency vibrations. If you do buy this, techmount will swap for the plate with 3/8 holes for free, or you can just drill out the existing cyclegadget standard plate. Either way you want to avoid having to buy 2 plates.

Question:  I will be ordering my Techmount stemstand mount soon.  Do I just get the standard sized plate for mounting the Touratech GPS cradle?  Or do I need to get one of the optional larger plates?
The standard size plate will work. The plate from cyclegadgets already has the correct hole pattern drilled, but the holes are not 3/8dia. if you want to use the little rubber bushings to remove any hi frequency vibrations. If you do buy this, techmount will swap for the plate with 3/8 holes for free, or you can just drill out the existing cyclegadget standard plate. Either way you want to avoid having to buy 2 plates.
Thanks for the info.

Do I need or want the plate with the rubber bushings if I go the Touratech route? It has its own rubber bushings, so I was assuming I would just attach it to the standard Techmount plate.

Thanks for the info.

Do I need or want the plate with the rubber bushings if I go the Touratech route? It has its own rubber bushings, so I was assuming I would just attach it to the standard Techmount plate.
Good point, probably not then.