Techmount - ZUMO Mounting ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim'sonDFJR

Reaction score
Question:

For those who have the Stem Techmount and the Zumo, did you line up the Zumo cradle with one of the Techmount plate holes, and drill 3 new ones or drill 4 from the get go. I would like to get the Zumo close to center. Thanks

Tim

I have subsequently learned that if you rotate the plate 90 degrees, the holes line up, hum... or better yet duh.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Question:
For those who have the Stem Techmount and the Zumo, did you line up the Zumo cradle with one of the Techmount plate holes, and drill 3 new ones or drill 4 from the get go. I would like to get the Zumo close to center. Thanks

Tim
Used the techmount holes, no eed to use a drill for me!

Once the Zumo is mounted using the stock Techmount holes, you won't be able to see what's behind it, it will simply appear to be floating in front of you, so why such a worry on having it "centered"?

And by centered, I'm assuming you mean top to bottom centered, because mine is perfectly centered from left to right using the stock holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the mount itself, you also can buy a plate that has Garmin motorcycle mount compliant holes drilled in it. I ordered both at the same time, although my mount is the clutch-side "mirror mount hole", not the center, so mine sits above the clutch reservoir.
Plate option 1 (mine, includes a little shock absorption)

https://www.techmounts.com/products/index.p...p;product_id=19

Plate option 2 (looks more universal)

https://www.techmounts.com/products/index.p...;product_id=110

Rayban,

Thanks for that info, I didn't realize there were top plate options. Probably could have saved some shipping. So both of those plates have the Zumo cradle mounting bolt patterns? Damn, since it's raining here today I thought I'd have this thing mounted.

Tim

Rayban,
Thanks for that info, I didn't realize there were top plate options. Probably could have saved some shipping. So both of those plates have the Zumo cradle mounting bolt patterns? Damn, since it's raining here today I thought I'd have this thing mounted.

Tim
All the Garmin units use the "industry standard" AMPS spec spacing, kinda like how most all LCD computer monitors these days have a standard pattern for attaching to wall mount or moveable-arm mounting setups.

Mine all lined up but I need to adjust the mount itself for I have an ever so slight left to right twist.

Chester

Funny you should ask :blink:

The plate I got from techmount didnt fit. The problem, likely mine, was because I already had the Techmount Stem mount for the GarminV. They sent me the top plate only. It is made of 1/8th inch thick aluminum and is pre-drilled as a universal type mount for several types of applications.

I ended up going to "Ace Hardware" and bought some 1/8th thick stock, costing $11. I used a drill press and drilled four holes for the GPS/ZUMO mount to fit on. Then I flipped it over and drilled two holes, and counter sunk them, for the techmount plate to fit to the stem mount. Nothin' fancy, just a matter of drilling holes. Aluminum is very easy to drill but be careful to start the holes exact. I even have more left over for the next gadget.

I've got to mention, the Zumo is very easy to use and a definite improvement over the GarminV.