tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the Therm a rest. I'm still using the Prolite 3 but the 4 came out and it's a better night's sleep (so I've been told).

Using a "Big Sky" 2P Evolution ultralite tent. Weighs in at 3lbs. but they also make a one man version. https://www.bigskyproducts.com/

Lafuma -1 degree C."lite and warm" sleeping bag. Add a polar fleece liner and lower heat rating several more degrees.

Thermarest sleeping pad. It is worth the money. You can sleep on concrete and be comfortable.
actually we slept on chunky big rocks and couldn't tell. but kneeling down to roll it up was a killer.

Prolight 4 was definitely the best money I spent.

Quick add on the Therm a rest.

If you go the route, include a patch kit. The Prolite series is just that, ultralite and will puncture.

Treat it right and keep the gray side down and it's pretty tough. The up side (orange) is a little more touchy.

Good luck

I’m an avid hiker and often combine both riding and hiking. I have great light weight gear and using compression sacks I can pack tightly. Anyhow, I just got back from an overnight at Halfmoon Pond state park in Vermont and used a $19.00 tent. Well it rained all night and big surprise the tent leaked on all my great gear and myself. My advice is buy a descent hikers tent and call it day.

Just for kicks, check out the ultralite hiking stuff.... way overboard for bikes, but some ideas could be adapted....

totally different mindset, tho.... I bought the book and the DVD, very interesting...

https://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossam...en_up_book.html

and links on....

https://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/

some of this stuff is way over the top, but I hate having to lug heavy stuff of the bike to my campsite, or worse, up the stairs in a motel.

One FJR side case weighs more than this guys whole pack! I was going to make some lightweight bags to fit the FJR that weren't as bulky before I sold it, ended up just using nylon duffle bags. Never did make the pretty ones...<G>

Mary

After listening to you all this is what I ended up buying.

Ther-a-rest Trail Regular - 39.95 from Amazon.com

GCI Pico Arm Chair - Sage - 99.99 from the comfort store ( Awsome Chair well worth the money, this was the best price)

Ther-a-rest Compression Pillow - 11.59 Amazon.com

The North Face AM8J30H-Reg-RH - Bighorn 20 Degree Sleeping Bag from Altrec.com - 88.95

Coleman 3 man tent from Big 5 - 39.95 (before you slam this tent it isn't that bad, lots of room and well made, real bad weather = hotel)

Everything fit in a army duffle bag (Water Proofed) and nicely on the back seat. I still can open my bags and trunk without having to remove the duffel bag each time.

Total Price = 280.43

Now I'm pumped for the September 15th trip from Prescott Valley, RT-89 to Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Glacier Park, Jasper National Park, RT-5 over to VanCouver, Seattle, I-5 (side stop to Mt. St. Helens) to Portland and a week of fishing with my friend on the Columbia River then the the 101 to RT 1 to San Francisco, Reno, Vegas, then home :) No time clock to hit, no date to be anywhere. Life is GOOD :)

rei.com is a great resource if you are browsing. I'm not sure about prices vs. other vendors (amazon, etc.)

plus they carry a lot of what I would call 'higher end' products, so you can perhaps use some of them as a benchmark....for features, etc.

Now I'm pumped for the September 15th trip from Prescott Valley, RT-89 to Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Glacier Park, Jasper National Park, RT-5 over to VanCouver, Seattle, I-5 (side stop to Mt. St. Helens) to Portland and a week of fishing with my friend on the Columbia River then the the 101 to RT 1 to San Francisco, Reno, Vegas, then home :) No time clock to hit, no date to be anywhere. Life is GOOD :)
sniff sniff..... I wanna go with you!

seriously, that's one great ride.

Oh yeah... Take 6 times as many pics as you think you need, you can never have enuf!

enjoy!

mary

Friends, Sierra Trading Post has all kinds of bargains on outdoor gear, clothing, shoes, etc. (Not really much moto stuff, but the rest of the stuff is good.)

Happy camping, from a guy who's camped about a thousand nights and can now pretty much take it or leave it...

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends, Sierra Trading Post has all kinds of bargains on outdoor gear, clothing, shoes, etc. (Not really much moto stuff, but the rest of the stuff is good.)
Happy camping, from a guy who's camped about a thousand nights and can now pretty much take it or leave it...

Barry

never heard of them before, but i certainly can't argue with the prices!

thanks for the link.

Barry

never heard of them before, but i certainly can't argue with the prices!

thanks for the link.
Just be sure you read the fine print. Overstocks and closeouts most of the time, but sometimes 2nds. The 2nds are sometimes functionally fine and other times not so great. CAUTION: those prices can get addictive...kinda like farkle-itis.