Tent that fits in side case or Givi E52

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried a backpacking tent? There rather small packing. If you can come up with a creative place to carry the tent poles (Those are what causes packing problems), any reasonably sized tent will fit in either saddle bag or the Givi. You could strap the poles along the saddle bag top and have your pillion sit over them. Personally I just strap my tent to the rear seat with my sleeping bag since I ride solo.

Has anyone been able to find a tent that fits in a side case or top GIVI E52 case?
I bought a pack tent, bag, and pad several years back. All three fit in a side case with room to spare for my Geza cover and other smaller items.

The tent is from PEAK (coleman), kelty mummy style down bag good to 25 degrees, and a thermarest full length self inflating pad for backpacking.

(Edit: evidently coleman no longer makes the Peak series of tents.)

Last edited by a moderator:
A 2 man back pack tent will most of the time. Like a Eureka 2XT style dome. I went up to the 3 man and the poles don't fit anymore. I just pack the poles on the seat or on top of the saddle bags. I prefer a tent with some room to move.

I have a Eureka Timberlite 2 backpacking tent that I use when I'm solo. I've probably slept in it close to 500 nights over the last 15 years and it's held up great in this rugged mountain area. Though Eureka claims it's a two person tent, and I've had 2 in it plenty of times, it's really better suited to 1 person, your gear, and maybe a dog :rolleyes:

It's an A-frame, which means you sacrifice some usable space compared to a dome, but the advantage is that it's lighter and packs smaller. With a packed size of 5.5"x19", it fits perfectly in my top case.

Edit: I just looked and Eureka doesn't make the Timberlite anymore, but this (clicky) is the modern version.

71_1_.jpg

I went with the North Face Rock 22 bx for the biggest bang for the buck IMHO. It's a largish 2 people tent. 2 entrances and 2 vestibules.

I also bought the footprint (custom made ground cloth) which I consider mandatory and the gear loft.

Google "north face rock 22 tent" for best price

$135.16 with free shipping here

WIRJGN.jpg

hope this helps

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

The Eureka Apex w/fiber poles fits in the saddle bag. There are two versions, one has longer poles, the long pole version won't fit, IIRC. I have the short pole version and like it. It's a 2 man, but realistically, it's a comfy one man tent with room for your riding gear.

edit: There's also an aluminum pole version. Not sure if it fits or not. More $$

My "Big Sky International" Evo 2P Clicky

will not fit in the side case with the poles but does when you remove them from the pack.

This is truly a 2 man tent, extremely light, very costly and very DRY in extreme weather. Handled properly, (due to it's weight) it's still going strong into my fourth backpacking season (along with standard Scout camp outs).

The Eureka Apex w/fiber poles fits in the saddle bag. There are two versions, one has longer poles, the long pole version won't fit, IIRC. I have the short pole version and like it. It's a 2 man, but realistically, it's a comfy one man tent with room for your riding gear.
edit: There's also an aluminum pole version. Not sure if it fits or not. More $$
I've got an aluminum pole version and it fits in a side case. It's been a great tent for me.

I think that both versions of the tent (fiberglass or aluminum poles) are sold with longer poles now.

The REI Taj 3, is a 3 man tent that fits in my Shad 42 case nicely.

Did you fit the Eureka 2XT tent in the side bags/cases or the Givi E52?

A 2 man back pack tent will most of the time. Like a Eureka 2XT style dome. I went up to the 3 man and the poles don't fit anymore. I just pack the poles on the seat or on top of the saddle bags. I prefer a tent with some room to move.

The NorthFace is Packed Size: 25 x 7in, did that fit in your E52 or side bags?

I went with the North Face Rock 22 bx for the biggest bang for the buck IMHO. It's a largish 2 people tent. 2 entrances and 2 vestibules.
I also bought the footprint (custom made ground cloth) which I consider mandatory and the gear loft.

Google "north face rock 22 tent" for best price

$135.16 with free shipping here

WIRJGN.jpg

hope this helps

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

Does your Eureka Timberlite 2 fit in the side case or jsut the Givi E52 top case?

I have a Eureka Timberlite 2 backpacking tent that I use when I'm solo. I've probably slept in it close to 500 nights over the last 15 years and it's held up great in this rugged mountain area. Though Eureka claims it's a two person tent, and I've had 2 in it plenty of times, it's really better suited to 1 person, your gear, and maybe a dog :rolleyes:
It's an A-frame, which means you sacrifice some usable space compared to a dome, but the advantage is that it's lighter and packs smaller. With a packed size of 5.5"x19", it fits perfectly in my top case.

Edit: I just looked and Eureka doesn't make the Timberlite anymore, but this (clicky) is the modern version.

71_1_.jpg

Did you fit the Eureka 2XT tent in the side bags/cases or the Givi E52?
I'm pretty sure Sagebrush, OCfjr and I are all talking about the same tent.

Eureka! Apex 2XT Tent:

57.jpg

The Pinnacle Pass 2XTA is very similar, with aluminum poles:

63.jpg

The pack size of the current models are 6"X18.5". The current models have fewer, longer pole sections. My guess is that OCfjr and I bought ours before Eureka figured out they could save $1/tent buy using fewer, longer pole sections.

The Pack sizes of all the Eureka! tent is here: <Link>