Tents

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Did a quick search with "tents" (non google) and it looks like it's been awhile since it's been updated.

Anyway, I am thinking about doing a camping trip on the JFR next month after the Western Roundup, and am looking at tents online. Just wondering who uses what, what works and what to avoid at all costs.

Trip will be north, into Canada for some Poutine, and over to the coast before dropping back to OR to see friends.

TIA,

Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my REI Half Dome 2 Plus after researching a bit last year. Works for 2 with room at the feet for side cases (unless you're 7 feet tall...then the vestibules are also workable). I use mostly 1 person on the FJR and Adventure bike. The "Plus" makes it a little longer and wider than the standard one.

I have a Sierra Designs Zia 3. It is 3 person tent and it packs down small enough to put in the truck of the bike. Nice tent. I have let friends use it motorcycle camping and they love it. Packs small but still lots of room inside. I found mine new on ebay for about $160.

I have several tents. For motorcycle camping I use the same one as Ignacio above the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. It works for two people. Plenty of room for one person and lots of gear. It's a nice tent for the money. Easy to put up and take down. You can use it without the rain fly in warm dry weather. It packs away small enough for motorcycle travel.

I do have to say I have not tested that tent in a heavy storm. I have been lucky enough to have fair weather every time I have used it.

I love my Kelty gunnison two. It's got 3 years on it, and about 30 nights. and not a hole or anyother problem I can think of.

You're coming to Canada for some Pouline? What the hell is that?

Surely you mean poutine. You better get it sorted out before you get to the border; you might get a question on it.

You're coming to Canada for some Pouline? What the hell is that?
Surely you mean poutine. You better get it sorted out before you get to the border; you might get a question on it.
Man, the "l' is not even close enough to the "t" to claim posting while drunk........Thanks for the clarification.

I had a backup plan in case of something like that happened. I was gonna say that I'm coming over to photobomb the "Shed of Doom"!

There is a extensive discussion regarding tents on the ADVrider Forum. Those guys tend to do a lot of motorcycle camping, very informative. Check it out.

Thoughts on bike camping: there are lots of good backpacking tents, easy up and down, enough room inside. The vestibule is handy for things like boots. Everything else I put inside the

that I strap onto the back seat (with Rok Straps, not bungees). That holds all my camping gear, so I only have to get into it when I stop for the night. It's absolutely waterproof (heavy vinyl reinforced with a polyester mesh). It's also very reasonably priced, and everybody sells them. With the tent, sleeping bags, etc. out, it's plenty big enough to hold all my riding gear and everything--even the helmet. Nice and dry and secure and not crowded into the tent with me. A hint, when you repack in the morning, just stuff your tent, sleeping bag, and rain fly in the bag, don't bother to roll them up or put back into stuff sacks. Saves a LOT of hassle. And it makes it more comfy to lean against as you ride.
I also spray my tent and fly with Scotchguard every season. Nylon's never completely waterproof, in my experience.
omg2.gif
Camping is good to get to and from the meet, but I never leave a camp all set up while I spend whole daya away. Sometimes bad things happen. See you in Sparks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. This is kind of a last minute (well, last month) decision to take FJR travel to a different level. I have been inspired by UBERKUL's Slow-mo photo tour. While I will in no way be taking on the same journey he is, it will be a learning experience.

6 Roc straps of various length with reflective stuff in the strap are already on the way.

Tent will most likely be from REI and I am looking hard at the Kelty Gunnison 2.2 and half dome plus.

Already have a dry sack, but might need to get a bigger one (or a smaller, newer, sleeping bag)

Not worried about cooking/eating at the campsite for this trip. Will keep that as simple as I can and eat on the road with snacks for late night and AM needs.

This trip will work out to 4 or 5 days of camping depending on the weather once I hit the coast.

Sac MIke, see ya in Sparks!

Thanks Again everybody,

Greg

Thanks Doug! I might take you up on that. If you have enough to drink on hand, I will do my part to water your lawn.

Any word on the hippo?

Thanks Doug! I might take you up on that. If you have enough to drink on hand, I will do my part to water your lawn.
Any word on the hippo?
Anytime! We always have room for you indoors or out.

Should get the doctors report tomorrow, busy time of the year at the local shop.

I bought a Redverz.Series II Expedition. Spendy, but the best tent I have ever had. It is huge, but light and packs small. It has a huge vestibule designed to park the bike in, but I found it is better for a sitting area if it is raining. The sleeping area accommodates a full size air mattress. It is super easy to set up and break down. Check out the videos here: https://shop.redverz.com/categories/Tents/Series-II-Tent/

I use a Eureka Tetragon tent. It is inexpensive and functional, but the main reason I chose it is that it is easy to setup with one person. It is a dome tent and, rather than the tent poles slipping through sleeves in the top of the tent, the entire tent has hooks which allow me to stand up the poles (half hoops) and then lift the tent to the hoops and hook it on. Very simple and fast to set up or take down.

Whatever tent you choose, make sure it is big enough for you and all your gear.