Tents

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the same tent, Greg. A decent tent for little bucks. My biggest wish with this tent... a larger vestibule. I can get my folding chair u der the vestibule. It'll stay dry as long as the rain isn't blowing too much. Big plus on this tent??? The walls are mesh. Regardless of the rain fly that goes all the way to the ground, you can feel air movement in this tent. Not a good tent for colder weather camping IMO. Great for warm weather.

Tent pole length is important if it has to fit inside a bag or box.

Height is important if you want to kneel upright while getting dressed.

Getting one man bigger in size than you intend to shelter is great for gear and claustrophobia.

Tent footprint ground covers are worth buying for wet weather.

MSR Groundhog stakes are good replacements for cheesy OEM.

I too have the REI Half Dome 2, but not the plus. Easy to set up, plenty of room, the vestibule make it easy to keep the inside clean, and it packs pretty easily. I pack my tent, air mattress (REI Air Rail 1.5) and sleeping bag (North Face Aleutian 35) all in one waterproof bag behind me on the pillion seat, leaving my side bags for clothes and gear. I have traveled and camped twice like this in the past month and I am going again over the 4th of July weekend, though this will be a car trip.

Went with the Halfdome Plus. Was looking real hard at the Kelty Gunnison 3.2, (3 man) much more room for the same price as the two man and just a bit more weight for the same size when packed. It came down to the way the tents vented (Halfdome has better per reviews) and I liked the fact that without the rain fly, you get a great view of the night sky.

Thanks again everybody for the great input and website suggestions (more research, YEA!).

See ya out there,

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the ultimate cheap-o frugal tent, a Coleman Sundome 4. It is said to be a 4 person tent, but I would never use it for more than 2. By yourself it is downright spacious. Plenty of floor space and height, sets up really easy, and the tent packs down pretty small (7" x 15" L if you are careful) so it can be fit into one of my V-strom hard bags. Or if you roll it to it's 23" length (as it comes) it will roll down to ~ a 5" diameter for sticking into a big seat duffle.

Unfortunately, the poles are fairly long at 23", so I do have a separate (skinny) bag for them and have to strap them on the bike somewhere if I want to put the tent in a saddlebag. I believe that I only paid ~$50-$60 for it.

Have rain tested it on occasions and it doesn't leak at all. Seems to work just as well as the tents costing a whole bunch more gas money. YMMV

PS - I think the Coleman is about the same tent as the Eureka Tetragon previously mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use either:

Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE when two-up or when I'm staying more than one night somwhere (has vestibules, great for gear)

Or the Spitfire 1 when I'm solo and making relatively quick overnights. It's a one-man tent but has enough room for me to sit up inside.

I have a small tarp I put under the 2XTE and a footprint to put under the Spitfire. Definitely want to protect the bottom!

Hammock...

Warbonnet blackbird with a superfly. Compressed, each is about the size of a softball. Dont need poles but I use two to give room under the hammock. They pack 12"long.

I'm in search of a new tent when the daughter will be riding.