Test Drove Star/Yamaha Roadliner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Well, despite the fact that the Roadliner handles easier and better than any cruiser I've ever ridden, the torque at very low RPM is pretty remarkable, it's easy to ride and feels very light, I don't think it comes anywhere near as nice to ride as the FJR. After riding that bike, which is the nicest cruiser I've ridden, I have to wonder: why do cruisers sell more than sport touring bikes? If simply makes no sense at all to me.

doesn't make sense to me either. My dad has always had standards and now cruisers and wants a HD :russian: All I can figure is its all about the ideology of the OLD skool motorcycle riders from back in the day. He likes his loud ass straight pipes and thinks they are more then just an annoyance to anyone who has to ride with him.

You know, I didn't mind the loud rumble of the pipes. That 1900cc Engine puts out some serious bass through the stock pipes. I didn't mind the two cylinder vibration so much as it wasn't bad and reminded me of the ample torque. However, at highway speeds I was hanging on for dear life, or using my stomach muscles to hold myself forward. Either way, I thought: If I don't have a fairing, I want to be leaning forward. It sealed the deal, the FJR's rooming buddy is going to be an R6.

Pics:

9390015621_r6.jpg

Having owned a Road King I think I know one reason why... it was a lot 'easier' to get on the HD to run around town on. A lot less 'prep' time, if you will. Throw on my half helmet, gloves and off I went. Also, I wouldn't consider running LD with the King and I think that most riders don't consider MC touring in their bag of wanna-do's.

Course, then there's that bad boy factor of riding cruisers... Chicks dig bad boys and chicks control 80% of all buying decisions - one way or another. ;)

:schibby:

I've been trying hard to find a cheaper track bike but the longer it takes me to find one the closer I come to joining you with another new bike purchase...especially since I get a chubby every time I see that pic :dribble:

Having owned a Road King I think I know one reason why... it was a lot 'easier' to get on the HD to run around town on. A lot less 'prep' time, if you will. Throw on my half helmet, gloves and off I went. Also, I wouldn't consider running LD with the King and I think that most riders don't consider MC touring in their bag of wanna-do's.
Course, then there's that bad boy factor of riding cruisers... Chicks dig bad boys and chicks control 80% of all buying decisions - one way or another. ;)
My wife doesn't like cruisers. Phew... :clap:

After riding that bike, which is the nicest cruiser I've ridden, I have to wonder: why do cruisers sell more than sport touring bikes? If simply makes no sense at all to me.
+1

Recently, a friend of mine (who is an accomplished rider) did something that totally defied logic. (well, to me anyway). He rode an old Suzuki GS1100 for years; sold it, got a Honda Valkyrie; had it for a few years, put several mods on it, loved it. Traded it in on his 'dream bike' a slightly used '05 Wing. Had the Wing for a few months, then *gasp* traded it in a new Harley, road/wide/super/ultra/fat/skinny/your mamma boy (uh, sorry, they have too many models for me to follow) whatever..it was not the 'Wing' version they sell with the hard luggage; it came with leather saddlebags and a windshield, the usual 88 CI engine- that's it, no fairing..

He had to trade in the Wing, then pay $4000.; and now makes about a $400. month for the privilege. :blink: OUCH! I pointed out that now he was on a machine that made half the power of the Wing, not to mention the other obvious differences, what gives? He said he was tired of his Harley buddies making fun of him and that when he was on the Wing, he 'didn't feel like he was on a motorcycle'.. too refined. Oh well, I'm sure Willie G and the boys thanked him...

Last edited by a moderator:
"why do cruisers sell more than sport touring bikes? - OrangevaleFJR

Like anything on 2 wheels, it's all about what turns your crank.

For some it's not so much about the ride per say ... By this I'm refering to the finely tuned engineering and balanced thrust of modern scoots like the FJR, but the visceral experience of just riding. Like nusman68, I also have known guys that sold their wings and ST's for HD's/cruisers. It wasn't that they didn't like the wings etc, or that they were bad bikes ... It seemed from conversations that they just felt like they weren't riding a motorcycle as things had become almost too refined that it isolated the rider from the tangible sensory experience of riding something that 'feels' like a working machine. Most had memories from way back of their first rides .... that shook ....and leaked....., but provided an endless stream of fun memories and rides.

From my own experience, I'm coming back to sport tour riding after having been on cruisers these past years. I still will enjoy riding my Roadie downtown bar hoppin' , it's just that I 'also' will enjoy the experience of carving up a nice back road. I have no intention of riding the Feejr around town, or out to bike nights. That job will rest with it's experienced stable mate as I guess I still like being a bit of a bad boy on occasion .... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
i was rally going to go with the h/d . untill i rented one when i went to see a freind in florida and long time h/d buyer. well after a 6 hr. ride on the heritage softail and a roadking . i just could not put all that cash on a product that was not very nimble ,not that powerfull , not very good on the backside , and hotter then my 05 fjr when sitting in traffic / city roads . yes they look great and sound pretty good also but i needed something that i could ride long distances , etc. .... this is the first yamaha product ( Except my A/V reciver ) i purchased and i never thought i would even buy a yamahog . what a great buy for 12k . Yes if i had a extra 20 k i just might buy a h/d for around town ...