Test riding a 2013 via a 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinrivers

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm heading to the dealer on Saturday for a test ride. They won't have the 2013 in till mid December but they have a 2010 I can ride. I am coming from a Harley FLHTC so this will be interesting. How closely will the 2010 be to the 2013? Anyone here made the switch from HD to FJR? Any tips for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Twinrivers,

I haven't made that transition, yet I went from a Suzuki C90T to my 2007 FJR. The C90 being a classic cruiser is neat to ride, nothing though for the sporty way of riding. The FJR is a complete different bike, but I got very quickly comfortable with her, she's a big girl but quite nimble for her body weight, much to my.liking. She gives me the response I need of a bike, compared to my Gixxer 750 (yes if have 3 bikes) she will tell you when she's had enough of too sporty behavior. Her motor, with 150 horse is very well in tune with the gear ratio, so you will be surprised how low the revs are when you cruise a long....

From what I know, the '13 FJR is compared to the Gen II I have a whole new toy, with more gizmo's one can count... I'm looking forward of more reports and seeing her at the bike show here in Seattle soon.

Have fun though, you won't regret it.

V

RPK

Twinrivers,

Not exactly a HD, but I did move from a Victory Cross Roads to a 2012 FJR and was hooked after the test drive. Comparisons: smooth power, quiet, great wind protection vs. windshield only of the CR, smooth ride, and the best part...no back aches. She is a sporty beast when compared to the cruisers, I know not by the sport bike standards, but I'm middle-aged dude just looking for a spice in the ride with a good mix of luxury cruising. The wife rode with me down for the original test drive and she found it more comfortable for her as well. She's 5'8" about 145. I don't even give the Victory a second thought anymore. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! I've done some long trips on the HD (NH to Titusville, FL in two days was the longest so far) and plan to with the FJR. I was good for about 150 miles then had to get off and walk around a bit. I'm hoping the FJR will give me the same or better distance. I'm also hoping it will reduce the wind on the legs. I did not have the lower fairings on the HD and my legs would cramp up after a couple hours at 85 MPH.

Hi Guys,

I'm heading to the dealer on Saturday for a test ride. They won't have the 2013 in till mid December but they have a 2010 I can ride. I am coming from a Harley FLHTC so this will be interesting. How closely will the 2010 be to the 2013? Anyone here made the switch from HD to FJR? Any tips for me?
Coincidence or what!? I'm in Newmarket... Ontario and made the switch from HD (and others) to the FJR. Good luck with the test ride. :clapping:

...I was good for about 150 miles then had to get off and walk around a bit. I'm hoping the FJR will give me the same or better distance. I'm also hoping it will reduce the wind on the legs......
Before my FJR received her custom seat, I was good for 200 miles and then topping off and walking myself out a bit. After the seat, my rear end is in heaven..

You will enjoy the riding experience.

V

RPK

Howdy from a nearby neighbor! A couple of questions... What dealer are you test riding with? And, is your avatar the lighthouse in New Castle? (Fort Point Light, Fort Constitution Light, New Castle Light) None of the dealers around here have a '13 yet and I would kinda like to go take a gander at one. Good luck with your test ride; be prepared to smile a lot.

Twin;

I doubt very much that you'd be able to tell much difference between a 2010 and a 2013 given your previous riding experience; other than the 13 has more buttons and doodads (all of them good). I had a V-Rod that gave me many miles of good service but when I chanced upon a low-mileage 2005 FJR I discovered I was in a whole new world. The FJR has a "rock solid guided missle" quality to it. A bottemless well of turbine smooth thrust available at your right wrist, excellent wind protection, and a willingness to take you anywhere you want to go, as fast as you want to, right now. I have a 2013 now and it's really the same bike it's always been, just more of it.

Go ahead and ride the 2010. But, bring your checkbook with you for a deposit. Once you taste the FJR experience you'll ask yourself "what the hell have I been doing with my life".

Good luck.

AK

Twin;

I doubt very much that you'd be able to tell much difference between a 2010 and a 2013 given your previous riding experience; other than the 13 has more buttons and doodads (all of them good). I had a V-Rod that gave me many miles of good service but when I chanced upon a low-mileage 2005 FJR I discovered I was in a whole new world. The FJR has a "rock solid guided missle" quality to it. A bottemless well of turbine smooth thrust available at your right wrist, excellent wind protection, and a willingness to take you anywhere you want to go, as fast as you want to, right now. I have a 2013 now and it's really the same bike it's always been, just more of it.

Go ahead and ride the 2010. But, bring your checkbook with you for a deposit. Once you taste the FJR experience you'll ask yourself "what the hell have I been doing with my life".

Good luck.

AK

Thanks AK! Best answer yet!!

Howdy from a nearby neighbor! A couple of questions... What dealer are you test riding with? And, is your avatar the lighthouse in New Castle? (Fort Point Light, Fort Constitution Light, New Castle Light) None of the dealers around here have a '13 yet and I would kinda like to go take a gander at one. Good luck with your test ride; be prepared to smile a lot.

Hey there Neighbor! MOM's has a 2013 coming in sometime in December but that one is mine :rolleyes: They have two more on order but didn't say when they would see them. The Lighthouse is Portsmouth Harbor Light at Fort Constitution.

I'm not in competition for MOM's '13 :) I just want a chance to sniff one. I'll probably sit it out for a year or so and see how they shake out.

That light house has way too many names, but it is the one at Fort Constitution, we have done a couple of photo shoots there. After our Cape Ann ride a group of us stopped by the Fort but we were too late in the day and it was closed. Guess we spent way too much time enjoying lunch at Woodsman's in Essex.

Twin;

Good luck.

AK

Thanks AK! Best answer yet!!
You're more than welcome. One caution: When you take that 2010 out for a test ride WATCH YOURSELF. That velvet beast will gain velocity so effortlessly and with such little noise and commotion it's easy to think you're just motoring along minding your own business and look down and see three digits on the speedo.

Good luck.

Hi Guys,

How about "if you like the '10 you simply will like the '13 more!". Same platform, same bike, just some better enhancements/improvements. I'm thinking your first "visual" enhancement when comparing will be the more modern digi dash n layout. Personally I like it, some here have griped but what's new.

Being the 3rd major revision (deemed Generation) of this model, I think any manufacturer who doesn't improve on a revision is seen as a complete project disaster. Yami has not been torched as a failure on this model ( yet :lol: ). So jump in, the Kool-Aid here is mighty tasty :)

Yep, that was my experience, AKjitsu; after my 600 mile break in, the first time I got on an on-ramp on the freeway, I cracked it and looked down (before I actually it the freeway), and was well North of 100. . . I just could not believe it. And it was so solid! I knew right then that I was really going to have to watch what I was doing, or Geico was gonna love me! <_<

I had a Honda VTX1800R that I traded in for my FJR. I loved that VTX, but it cannot compare to my FJR. The smoothness power, handling and comfort are way above what any cruiser can reach.

I was initially concerned about long distance comfort. My concerns were unfounded. I have done numerous 900 mile days on this bike, and ran 1400 miles straight home from Tennessee a couple years ago.

You're gonna be amazed!

I agree with Hotrodzilla on the excellent comfort of this bike. I'm 64 years old and recently did a Florida, California round trip with 600-700 mile days...No pain. However my first trip I didn't know how to ride it properly and my arms got very stiff. My problem was I tried to ride with an upright body position like I was used to and my arms and upper back suffered. Now I know a slight forward lean and lowering of my arms/elbows rather than stiff arming it solved all my problems. I offer this to let you know you likely will have to alter your body postion from what you are used to to experience this bike's comfort. Good luck, the bike is a dream.

Bill

When you are done with the test ride just sign the paper work and take the new bike home when she comes in.

Sbring your check book