Test riding a 2013 via a 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually... if you really want to maintain a long term relationship with the place that you buy the bike, you may want to go talk with the folks at Hudson Cycles. I really wouldn't buy anything at MOMs, and I sure as hell wouldn't let them do the warranty work on my bike. Which I am pretty certain is the hidden meaning behind ionbeam's "not being in competition" remark.

(PS - I'm another NH, FJR neighbor. There are a bunch of us 'round here)

I doubt very much that you'd be able to tell much difference between a 2010 and a 2013 given your previous riding experience; other than the 13 has more buttons and doodads (all of them good).

The FJR has a "rock solid guided missle" quality to it. A bottomless well of turbine smooth thrust available at your right wrist, excellent wind protection, and a willingness to take you anywhere you want to go, as fast as you want to, right now. I have a 2013 now and it's really the same bike it's always been, just more of it.
This description of the FJR is almost eloquent. Very well said.

Given that you are coming off a Harley, don't be ashamed if you decide to just buy the 2010 FJR. While the 2013 is certainly a worthwhile upgrade a 2010 is one heckuva fine motorcycle. And they are probably willing to knock of some $$ since the '13s are already here.

I doubt very much that you'd be able to tell much difference between a 2010 and a 2013 given your previous riding experience; other than the 13 has more buttons and doodads (all of them good).

The FJR has a "rock solid guided missle" quality to it. A bottomless well of turbine smooth thrust available at your right wrist, excellent wind protection, and a willingness to take you anywhere you want to go, as fast as you want to, right now. I have a 2013 now and it's really the same bike it's always been, just more of it.
This description of the FJR is almost eloquent. Very well said.

Given that you are coming off a Harley, don't be ashamed if you decide to just buy the 2010 FJR. While the 2013 is certainly a worthwhile upgrade a 2010 is one heckuva fine motorcycle. And they are probably willing to knock of some $ since the '13s are already here.
:withstupidsmiley:

(that is the rude way of posting +1, and attracting more "-" votes.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually... if you really want to maintain a long term relationship with the place that you buy the bike, you may want to go talk with the folks at Hudson Cycles. I really wouldn't buy anything at MOMs, and I sure as hell wouldn't let them do the warranty work on my bike. Which I am pretty certain is the hidden meaning behind ionbeam's "not being in competition" remark.

(PS - I'm another NH, FJR neighbor. There are a bunch of us 'round here)
Thanks. PM me with more details if you'd like. I checked them out on BBB and they have an A+ rating but that really doesn't mean much. I was way more impressed with them over the phone than with RMS. I'll check out HC.

You're more than welcome. One caution: When you take that 2010 out for a test ride WATCH YOURSELF. That velvet beast will gain velocity so effortlessly and with such little noise and commotion it's easy to think you're just motoring along minding your own business and look down and see three digits on the speedo.

Good luck.
I have that problem now with my F150 Ecoboost, thanks for the warning!

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple years ago, I bought and sold Harleys as part of a business deal with my cousin who exported them to Japan for resale. Amazing how much used Harleys are worth over there. They were selected from Craigslist, and my job was to check 'em out, test ride them, buy them, bring 'em home and prep them for shipping. Anyway, I had the opportunity to ride a bunch of them. Another difference between Harleys and the FJR, not mentioned thus far, is design and construction. An FJR is a well designed, well thought out, quality piece of equipment from one end to the other. My job was to look those Harelys over very carefully... every nut and bolt; test riding them and taking note of the condition of the suspension, clutch, shifting, etc. One of the things that stood out in my mind was the sloppy engineering of a Harley. Looking closely at the way they were made, I remember thinking over and over that it was as if Harleys are made on another planet. Forgive my opinion here, but after having owned a number large Japanese bikes and most recently an FJR, I found myself wondering why. Why would anyone want to own one of these things? I stood there looking at all the chrome and the racks and bumpers and custom paint: in short a great deal of money spent on WHAT? Many weekends I had two Harleys parked in the garage, and with all their chrome and custom paint, I had no desire to ride them ANYWHERE. I walked right by them, hopped on the FJR, and off I went.

Anyway, forgive my rambling. But the difference is literally night and day. Be prepared to be VERY pleasantly surprised.

Gary

darksider #44

Gary

darksider #44
I hear what your saying and don't totally disagree. I bought my first Harley, the 06 Fatboy Fire Fighter Edition, mostly because it was American made. I work for a machine tool dealer and our entire line is from overseas so I felt better buying American. Plus there was the Harley mystique. It wasn't long before I hated the Fatboy. It handled like a 400 pound woman on a dance floor and was a killer on my back. I dropped it off for its 5000 mile service and took an Electraglide home as a loaner. I couldn't get off that bike, it was night and day different from the FB. I never picked up the FB. The Eglide went away when my girlfriend convinced me to buy a boat. That was fun for a couple of years but I love motorcycling so the boats for sale and here I am. My buddy has a Concours and loves it but was saying his next bike will be the FJR. If money were not an object I would be back into an Ultra. But this time around I can't justify the extra $10+k and took his advice and looked at the FJR. I really like the looks and riding position, at least from photos. I've never been a crotch rocket type guy. When I get on the bike it tends to be a 12-14 hour day. I'll know one way or another tomorrow.

I bought my first Harley, the 06 Fatboy Fire Fighter Edition, mostly because it was American made.

How much of it? Harley will not ever say how much of that "American Made" motorcycle is made overseas.

It handled like a 400 pound woman on a dance floor

You say that like it's a bad thing!

When I get on the bike it tends to be a 12-14 hour day.

Check out the brands on the starting grid of the Iron Butt Rally. More importantly, check out the finishers.
I won't get into a Harley bashing rant, although it would be quite fun to do. The Electra Glide riding position will force you to use only your upper body to control the motorcycle where the FJR allows you to use your whole body. After riding the FJR, the 'Glide makes me feel like I am paralyzed from the waist down. It is much easier for me to do long days on the FJR than the Harley. At the end of a long day riding curvy roads I am much less fatigued by the FJR.

The Harley is a great bike if that is what you like. You can't argue with the timeless styling and there is something to the Harley Mystique. Given a choice of only having one bike in the garage, I would have to choose a sport tourer of some sort. Of those the FJR is certainly a fantastic choice. Given the current pricing, it is arguably the best choice.

I took the test ride this afternoon. I am throughly impressed!!! I must have looked like a complete idiot at each stop light with my feet flailing around trying to find the dam pegs though. The handling was awesome and so much different than the Harley. The only thing I didn't like was the diameter of the grips were too small. This bike didn't have heated grips so maybe that will make a difference. I'm sure there are aftermarket solutions to that as well. I do believe there is a 2013 FJR in my future.

I took the test ride this afternoon. I am throughly impressed!!! I must have looked like a complete idiot at each stop light with my feet flailing around trying to find the dam pegs though. The handling was awesome and so much different than the Harley. The only thing I didn't like was the diameter of the grips were too small. This bike didn't have heated grips so maybe that will make a difference. I'm sure there are aftermarket solutions to that as well. I do believe there is a 2013 FJR in my future.

They are called grip puppy's. Add about another 1/2 to the diameter and cut down on vibration. $19.99 if memory serves me correctly. Premier Cycles has them.

See the summer,

Dave

They are called grip puppy's. They add about another 1/2 to the diameter and cut down on vibration. $19.99 if memory serves me correctly. Premier Cycles has them.

See you this summer, There are plenty of local group rides.

Dave

I took the test ride this afternoon. I am throughly impressed!!!
One ride is all it takes! Heated grips don't add much diameter at all. As '08 says above, grips puppies are an alternative for those with big hands.

Good luck with the search...you won't be disappointed!

--G

Hi Guys,

I'm heading to the dealer on Saturday for a test ride. They won't have the 2013 in till mid December but they have a 2010 I can ride. I am coming from a Harley FLHTC so this will be interesting. How closely will the 2010 be to the 2013? Anyone here made the switch from HD to FJR? Any tips for me?
I have a 2009 FJR and 2011 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra. They are both good bikes with different riding characteristics. The FJR is more nimble and quicker. In the twisties it is much more responsive. Everybody has different tastes but for me the stock seat is more comfortable on the HD. The stock seat on the FJR was not comfortable for over 100 miles. I had my seat redone by Spencer. It was the cheapest way and it is much better now. I have done 800 miles in a day on it with little soreness. The FJR is a great bike and from what I have seen of the new 2013 it should be an awesome bike. The electronic cruise control would be a great addition on a long trip and in my opinion the best addition on the new bike. The traction control and economy mode are also nice touches. My additions on the FJR are the handlebar risers, frame sliders, heated grips, a GIVI trunk and an additional power plug for GPS. One advantage of the Yamaha is it runs on 87 Octane gas which saves about 20 cents per gallon. This is quite a savings if you commute on the bike. The new bike should get a few MPG better in the economy mode also. Good luck.

Personally, I still want to be able to text my buddies about the hockey strike while I'm drinking my keystone going to work. They need to put a keypad somewhere on the handle bars or all is for naught. :glare:

Personally, I still want to be able to text my buddies about the hockey strike while I'm drinking my keystone going to work. They need to put a keypad somewhere on the handle bars or all is for naught. :glare:
PENIS.. However the Leafs are still undefeated

None of the leafs would be riding a 2013 feej if they couldn't text the press about ex girlfriends and sloppy seconds......

...but, I could do it on my 05....

Leaf members? Them kids can't afford a schwinn ten speed. for fuks sakes.. If they won a game and could buy a motorized scoot? They'd all be dead in half an hour..