Test rode St1300/R1200RT/K1200GT/2006FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dpolitzer

I've posted this on a couple of other FJR sites and just found this one so...due to my excitement I'll post one more time...

Well I've finally decided to give up my BMW K1200 LT as I don't do the two up riding I used to do. The new owner will be coming in from Seattle on Friday (to SF bay area) and driving her home....never did name her.

So for the last 2 weeks I've been test driving all the bikes I was interested in...I needed a bike that was obviously smaller, had some sporting nature but still upright riding position, and most things that made my LT so enjoyable to drive....I knew the stereo would be the hardest to find so I decided to disregard that as a necessary criteria.

The first bike I tested was the BMW 1200RT...having owned a 2000 1100RT I was sure that with all the improvements that were made that this would probably be the bike for me.

Loved the styling, ESA (electronic damping/preload adjustment), new dash, seating position. I loved the nimbleness but what I couldn't deal with was the boxer twin....I have come to appreciate the smoothness of my LT and just couldn't get into the buzziness/vibration of the RT. I drove back to BMW of San Jose when the dealer asked me how I liked it...I made a face and he immediately said "I was afraid of that...most people coming from an inline 4 can't go back to the boxer." I couldn't agree more...

My next bike was the K1200GT...I convinced BMW of San Francisco to put one of their two GTs as a demo and let me be the first rider. After I showed that I was very serious they agreed to let me be the first to demo one. The sales rep there took me on a 45min ride.

First impressions...I liked the look of the bike but was not blown away..although the fit and finish are first rate. Riding position is very good. Engine sounds great and spins up very quickly.

I noticed some throttle abruptness leaving a standstill and some driveline lash in first gear...I got used to it as the drive went on but you really had to be smooth on the throttle or you might as well have been riding a bull...as said this is only really apparent at very low speeds and small throttle openings. Throughout the drive I was amazed at the suspension and the ESA...also loved the stability, and smoothness of the engine. It had none of the buzziness or vibration that some others have talked about. We did some 100-120mph sweepers (the salesguy was driving a K1200S) and finally stopped in the middle of the ride to take inventory. I told him that I have kids and felt the back tire slide out on a few occasions. He agreed to take it slower...but nonetheless I felt immediately comfortable onboard and the power is addictive.

We discussed price and trade in values...trade in was very good but not as good as SJ BMW. More importantly, I would have to pay MSRP on the new bike...I have never paid MSRP on any vehicle I've ever owned. The out the door price was just about 23k with the option package I wanted. A lot of bike yes...but A LOT OF MONEY! It's never stopped me before but I wanted to make sure...

I went to Berkeley Honda/Yamaha who were nice enough to let me test drive a Honda ST1300 (abs). Liked the styling, seating position, dash was nice but LCD gauges got washed out too easily.

I immediately noticed the sound of the engine...low rpm--sounds like a turbine motor...higher revs--now that sounds like a motorcycle. The bike felt very light on it's feet..at least as much as the GT maybe more...it certainly has a quick turn in. The engine had some power...somewhere between the RT and the GT. Horsepower figures don't lie...as it's certainly in the middle of those two and feels like it. What I didn't like was the seat (would have to go--slippery), the bars would need risers, but most importantly, the engine had way too much vibration. It just wasn't smooth compared to my LT or the GT...it felt cheap and underdeveloped.

At this point I felt sure that I was going to go with the GT...as a last ditch effort I called Yamaha in downtown San Jose and asked for a test ride on the FJR. They said that they have never offered a test drive but for me to come down and I could ride it in the parking lot...once there, they saw I was serious although unshaven for about a week....they ultimately agreed to a short 6-7 mile drive. Mike is the owner and was very professional, Scott was the part-time sales rep who helped me personally. He is a CHP officer and would follow me on my drive. I test drove the non-electronic shifting bike as I wanted a clutch that I could operate.

Loved the styling, loved the new dash, the seat was good and position from the bars was near perfect. Did I mention I loved the styling? Oh, and the color (Cobalt Blue) was awesome.

Driving the bike you feel the engine more than the GT, but it feels like a classy and refined engine. The vibrations you feel are enjoyable and sporty. The suspension is taut and about as stiff as the GT when it's on normal mode. I'm sure with some adjusting you could go as stiff as the GT in sport mode. The engine sounds fantastic and the powerband is torquier than the GT which loved to rev more. That is not to say the bike doesn't like to rev...it just feels meatier lower. I certainly couldn't take the bike to the upper limits with an off-duty officer riding behind me but I got enough of an idea that this bike could cruise all day for 300-400 miles and would be a blast in the twisties. More than anything you feel more a part of the riding experience that with the GT. The dealership and I discussed price---they were willing to take a 1k off the price. Out the door with heated grips the price would be 14,900k.

I left and went to think about it...within an hour a drove back and put a deposit down. As mentioned before, price has never stopped me from buying a bike..I have owned my 1100RT and 1200LT as new. But after driving the FJR the choice was clear. It had the power, handling, electric windshield, heated grips, abs, shaftdrive of the GT but looks significantly better. It doesn't have the ESA, heated seat, nor quite the fit and finish but the latter has been greatly improved on the 2006 and they have addressed all issues that had plagued earlier models.

I just couldn't find how the extra 8K was going to be better spent. After all I actually enjoyed riding the FJR MORE! In addition, I can add a factory zero deductable full coverage warranty within my first year of ownership. 4 year additional warranty would cost me $600 not to mention the first major service is at 24k. Only other services are the 600mile and oil changes.

Hope this helps some of your would be buyers...

You and a shitload of other ex beemer owners. Buck twenty on a new ride in the twisties, eh? You're either good or stupid, never have I seen both qualities in an old rider.......welcome to the club. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Club! I just sold my R1100S for FJR. I miss the R1100S but went through the same process you just did except i even considered the k1200s as well. The FJR in my opinion is as close as you can come to sport touring.

I couldn't agree more. These bikes were all on my final five, along with the KLT. I do alot of two up riding. My test rides produced similar observations.

And we both chose the FJR.

Congratulations!

First of all, thanks for a fantastic write-up. I would like to comment on one thing. I just sold a 2004 ST1300 and bought my FJR. For a reference, I've been into sport bikes for years, and even roadraced in the early/mid 1980s. I also own a Goldwing for two-up riding.

I love the FJR - more so than the ST1300 I put 10,000 miles on. But I do dissagree with you in one respect. I never felt any vibration on my ST at all. The balance shafts can be adjusted (and quite easily) and that may have been the problem - although odd on a new bike. On the other hand, I'm very surprised at the vibration on the FJR. It's not objectionable at cruising speed, but run through the gears at higher RPM's it make me wonder how it could have dual balance shafts. All of your other comments about the ST are excellent observations.

Congrats on making a great choice. Like many, I'm fascinated by the BMWs, but they simply don't make sense at the price they want for them as long as the FJR is available.

You and a shitload of other ex beemer owners. Buck twenty on a new ride in the twisties, eh? You're either good or stupid, never have I seen both qualities in an old rider.......welcome to the club. tongue.gif
Just for the record, I'm 33..LOL...I honestly was just trying to keep up with the salesrep...I looked down a couple of times near the end of the twisties and saw the speed. We pulled over a short time after.. at that time he agreed to slow down..but I would say that they were sweepers as opposed to "twisties." Regardless, I would never be going that fast had I been alone.

I love the FJR - more so than the ST1300 I put 10,000 miles on. But I do dissagree with you in one respect. I never felt any vibration on my ST at all. The balance shafts can be adjusted (and quite easily) and that may have been the problem - although odd on a new bike. On the other hand, I'm very surprised at the vibration on the FJR. It's not objectionable at cruising speed, but run through the gears at higher RPM's it make me wonder how it could have dual balance shafts. All of your other comments about the ST are excellent observations.
That is certainly strange about the vibration since in fact it was a brand new bike...you could REALLY feel the vibes from past 4000rpm. For the FJR vibes, I just purchased a set of HD Throttlemeister bar ends which should help a little...also will ride the first 600 miles and then determine if I want to run the fuel/air richer. I know that CA bikes are on the lean side which would add to the vibrations.

From the closing bits, I gather you bought an AE. How do you feel about the automatic clutch?
Actually I don't have the AE...no way I was going to spend another 2k for that feature. Living in California I am able to lane split when needed...if I was in another state and rode in traffic I would have strongly considered it....by the way I'm an ex-canadian--congrats on Stanley.

Great write up! I've always been happy that I don't care much for BMW because then it isn't tempting to pay 20k+ for one. Well, there was that 528 I had, but that is different. :)

If I had budgetted 23k for a new bike, I would have gone the route you did and bought a Triumph 675 for good measure. Hang on a second while I see if there is more room in the garage....

Congrats on your purchase! I hope it serves you well for a long time.

I just couldn't find how the extra 8K was going to be better spent.
Seems like a nice budget for farkles. And you even found the right place to learn about great deals and lots of help with questions/install info. Dude, yer stylin'. Congrats! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man..hell I've already ordered Doug Hines bar risers, California Science windshield, throttlemeister, and am trying to get an appointment with Rocky Meyer for a new saddle....and I still haven't picked up my bike yet...Saturday is the date.

Thanks for your impressions here. I would guess that the GT was the only other bike in competition with the FJR in my original quest. I have nothing against BMW's , but I am getting fairly sick and tired of hearing BMW owners utter the phrase " German Engineering..." with that smug little voice , as if that phrase has biblical significance. It may have meant something in the post-world war 3 era , but in the technological world of today, Someone needs to champion the phrase " Japanese Engeering" as the harbringer of State of the Art.

Again, not saying the BMW's do not have a handle on "state of the art" design..it's just a diffrent philosophy it seems to me.

Those that can say "price is not a problem" are lucky..as I feel price is always a factor. Not in the sence of what one can afford, but as pointed out, in VALUE. If you took that 5 grand you saved by buying the FJR over the GT and put it into the bike in the form of aftermarket suspension, windscreens, electronics, etc..I felt that you could easily surpase what the GT offered ....and still have enough change to buy those new tires when the time comes.

My 2nd consideration was dealership numbers. For a "touring" bike , would the odds be better if I was out in some diffrent state somewhere that there would be a BMW dealer near by or a Yamaha dealer?..The nod here went to the Yamaha dealer of course, as BMW does not have that big of a network in this country...yet.

And what did not help BMW's chances for me was how rudely I was treated during a visit to the One BMW dealer in my area.

So GT or FJR?... no contest in my book.

Knifemaker

Vibezz on a ST? Hhmmm, my '04 was almost as smooth as my GL1800s have been; OTOH that horrid "teakettle" sound from the engine....eeeeYUKK!

Given the $$ of the FJR versus the BMWs plus the "attitude" of BMWNA towards customers: FJR is a FUNtastic value! Enjoy!

DFO :D

First of all, thanks for a fantastic write-up. I would like to comment on one thing. I just sold a 2004 ST1300 and bought my FJR. For a reference, I've been into sport bikes for years, and even roadraced in the early/mid 1980s. I also own a Goldwing for two-up riding.

Congrats on making a great choice. Like many, I'm fascinated by the BMWs, but they simply don't make sense at the price they want for them as long as the FJR is available.
Ditto on this...I thoroughly enjoyed my ST 1300 and didnt feel the vibes that I feel on the FJR. The ST is a great, sedate, long distance cruiser. but all of these bikes are one way or anohter....

I was surprised it took to Bounce to tell him about D&H.

Good write up. The only vibration I feel on the FJR is in the foot pegs. I only notice it when I think about it. My attention otherwise is on riding and what is happening in my 360' envirement. TJ

Or you can get the 4 year YES at North End Cycles in Elkhart, IN for $369.....like I did. Call (574) 264-0618, ask for Paul. No affiliation; just a satisfied FJR customer! DFO :D

Latest posts