Textile Riding Gear? Balistic?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobQ

Reaction score
I have always worn leather grear, I was looking at some Joe Rocket Balistic gear. It is in a Tall size (I am a tough Fit) balistic pants and long coat, it was reasonably priced, but I have nothing to compare? I did a search and found nothing? any way, is the gear any good? anything else I should know?

I am looking for something water proof and good for the cold days, the balistic seams to fit the bill. It also has a removable liner. Otherwise I just wear a Hien Garik leather with vents.

Thanks for any help!

Just remember that the polypropylene in the Joe Rocket gear can melt with the friction caused by a slide..... but it is your skin.... :blink: ....

Ah come on Mikey, we all can't wear moose hide one pieces and mukalucks where we live... it gets hot once you get outa Canada :lol: :lol:

My first gear leather/balistic fabric outfit is sufficently cool and comfy, crash protection? couldn't say

:jester:

I would look for perforated leather over mesh. The mesh first gear jacket Sara was wearing in our get off "DID NOT" hold up well, and that was only at 10-15 mph.

I guess the only problem is that perforated leather isn't good for the cool days, or waterproof......

Textile gear is, IMHO, a lot more comfortable and lighter weight than leather. It is also less expensive. The trade off is that it allows you to slide further than leather if you do get off, and as Mike-H said, it gets hot from friction and can burn you even if it doesn't wear through. The places where it has padding is going to protect you from the impact and the heat, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

I wear a First Gear Kilimanjaro and HT overpants because they are touted as being waterproof. Well, after a couple of seasons they seem to be less waterproof than when I first got them. I would expect the Joe Rocket to be comparable. The Rocket Balistic gear has CCE rated pads, so that's an advantage.

If I were buying new gear today, and I might just do that, I would look very closely at the new Olympia Phantom one piece. It retails for $450 and appears to be a well made waterproof garment. It is getting good reviews on Sport_Touring.net.

I'm looking at First gears New Denali textile Jacket and HT 2.0 overpants.

I'm also looking at Road Gears Tierra del Fuego Jacket and pants. These both get high marks.

They are both waterproof and have zip ouy liners. They also have good ventilation with out being mesh.

I'm hoping they are do it all outfits waterproof and cold thru hot temps.

Glenn

Just as a FYI....I have an Olympia motorsports men's airglide suit but am moving up to a motoport Kevlar suit which is much superior in in all aspects....which if anyone wants to see.... I'll be picking up @ WFO in Park City in July

Thanks For all the fast replies! I think the one piece would be too hard of a fit, I never have luck with a one piece. So would first gear be better then Joe Rocket? I will also look at leather again. I need a tall size, that always limits me.

Thanks Bob

Thanks For all the fast replies! I think the one piece would be too hard of a fit, I never have luck with a one piece. So would first gear be better then Joe Rocket? I will also look at leather again. I need a tall size, that always limits me.
Thanks Bob
Cycleport also builds 2 piece Kevlar gear. If you want the best protection coupled with better than leather breathing, you are hard pressed to beat Kevlar mesh...well...okay, IMO you cannot beat it.

My First Gear Kilamanjaro and HT Mesh survived a 25mph get off without a problem, in fact I couldn't tell I crashed by looking at the gear. I guess all that soccer, skiing and lacrosse taught me how to roll well ;)

BTW - Mesh isn't just for summer. I have rode with my liners in snow storms without being cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a FYI....am moving up to a motoport Kevlar suit.... I'll be picking up @ WFO in Park City in July
So what are you wearing on the way there? Giving it away as a WFO door prize?
How about t-shirt, sandals & a thong :lol: .... :blink: .... :eek: ....gees....the thought of that just scared me so bad, I think I pooped myself.....happy now Toe? :angry: ....

I have always worn leather grear, I was looking at some Joe Rocket Balistic gear. It is in a Tall size (I am a tough Fit) balistic pants and long coat, it was reasonably priced, but I have nothing to compare? I did a search and found nothing? any way, is the gear any good? anything else I should know?
I am looking for something water proof and good for the cold days, the balistic seams to fit the bill. It also has a removable liner. Otherwise I just wear a Hien Garik leather with vents.

Thanks for any help!
i'm not a big fan of joe rocket textiles, it just seems their quality is down compared to other brands. i think you can spend a little more and do better, or spend a lot more and definitely do better, but still, anything is better than the cotton shirt and jeans only.

try newenough.com, they're very helpful; try aerostich.com, they're very helpful.

hth,

Thanks Bob
I have First Gear, one of my daughters wears First Gear, and another daughter wears Joe Rocket. The quality appears to be about the same from looking at them. The Rockets have CE approved armor while the First Gear does not. I have read a lot of negative reports on Joe Rocket gear, especially about the zippers not holding up. If I were going to choose between the two I'd go with First Gear.

I have a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants. They are WARM. Wait, no. They're phuckin' HOT. I simply cannot wear them if the air temp is over about 70 degrees F. I recently purchased a pair of First Gear HT Air 2.0 Overpants and I'm very pleased with them. They actually kept me dry one day during a 3 hour ride in the rain (light rain, nothing Biblical). They breathe well enough to be fairly comfortable even in temps over 100F.

One thing I've noticed about my JR 5.0 pants is that the zippers are not real great. The way the water-proof cover for the teeth of the zipper is attached makes it difficult to zip up without getting that cover caught in the zipper's teeth. Sort of a pain in the arse.

I have Tourmasters Transition jacket and pants and have ridden from 28*-90 and its be great except over 70+ its a little to warm, so I just got a Tourmaster Flex jacket. It seems to provide more protection than most perf jackets do and still has the ability to zip the inserts back in if the temps drop!

cary

Pretty darn happy with my Cortech GX Air jacket. Only prob is that the only Silver Mesh Pants made (that I could find) are Fieldsheer. So I have two different brands, but they match fine.

GF and my kids wear Fieldsheer Josie Mesh Women's Jackets-Silver. They likey much except for the lack of a sleeve on the liners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up here in Maine the temps are all over the place all the time. We are wearing Joe Rocket Alter Ego jackets. The quality seems good enough. We like them because we can wear them for all but the coldest of late fall days. They have three layers, a waterproof and wind resistant inner liner that is easily removed and stored, the outer fabric that unzips to store away, leaving an open mesh jacket for really hot days. I'm sure other brands make similar jackets. I can recommend this type of jacket because it is so adaptable to different conditions. I back it up with a GOOD rainsuit in the side bags in case it REALLY pours or is exceptionally cold.

Like GunMD, I also have the First Gear HT Air overpants. They are mesh pants, so hot weather riding is not a problem and they have the waterproof liner if it gets too wet or cold. I usually wear jeans under them. Order them in the same waist size as your jeans, they will fit over them correctly.

If you have complaints about FJR heat, the riding pants actually insulate you quite a bit from the heat.

For the really cold days we have First Gear Kilimanjaro III jackets. Not too crazy about them, the pockets are very weird and hard to use.

I feel compelled to add that IMO, all the one-piece suits have their rain liners backwards. Stopping to put on rain liners UNDER the one piece that you now have to remove on the roadside is, IMHO, nuts!!!

It's very, very seldom that I start out the day knowing that I'm about to get wet and go ahead and dress in the liners first. To me, the best rain gear is what you can put on OVER TOP of your regular gear.

I have First Gear, one of my daughters wears First Gear, and another daughter wears Joe Rocket. The quality appears to be about the same from looking at them. The Rockets have CE approved armor while the First Gear does not. I have read a lot of negative reports on Joe Rocket gear, especially about the zippers not holding up. If I were going to choose between the two I'd go with First Gear.

I have first hand experience with failed zippers on Joe Rocket gear and more than once. I also have a First Gear jacket with a finicky zipper and my current Joe Rocket Balistic jacket and pants have been trouble free. Also, as long as you have your receipt Joe Rocket is great about fixing any problems. At least that's been my experience.