Textile Riding Gear? Balistic?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have First Gear mesh pants and jacket, and look at it this way-I bought them so as to have comfortable gear I would wear in the hot summer weather. The alternative is what I used to wear, jeans and a t-shirt. I liken it to the static I get sometimes for wearing an open face helmet as opposed to a full face-I used to wear nothing, and cannot tolerate a full face helmet, so the 3/4 is better than what I used to wear. The same with the mesh-it is not the best protection, but better than nothing. Some high buck stuff may provide better protection, but just isn't in my budget, at least not yet. I am very happy with my First Gear stuff-very well made, has held up well, very, very comfortable in the heat. I also have a heavy First Gear leather jacket, which is great in cooler weather, but intolerable in the heat. It's construction is also first rate. I have a separate 2 piece Nelson-Riggs rain suit that I just tested the hell out of, and found it to work very well at keeping me dry in major downpours and T-Storms. And I mean bow-wave stuff. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have First Gear mesh pants and jacket, and look at it this way-I bought them so as to have comfortable gear I would wear in the hot summer weather. The alternative is what I used to wear, jeans and a t-shirt. I liken it to the static I get sometimes for wearing an open face helmet as opposed to a full face-I used to wear nothing, and cannot tolerate a full face helmet, so the 3/4 is better than what I used to wear. The same with the mesh-it is not the best protection, but better than nothing. Some high buck stuff may provide better protection, but just isn't in my budget, at least not yet. I am very happy with my First Gear stuff-very well made, has held up well, very, very comfortable in the heat. I also have a heavy First Gear leather jacket, which is great in cooler weather, but intolerable in the heat. It's construction is also first rate. I have a separate 2 piece Nelson-Riggs rain suit that I just tested the hell out of, and found it to work very well at keeping me dry in major downpours and T-Storms. And I mean bow-wave stuff. :eek:
With you there! As I'm very fond of saying "It does me no good to be dressed in the finest of protective gear, if I pass out from heat exhaustion."

It gets HOT around here, and plenty humid to go with. Example today was average temp on the bike this afternoon was 97F and 80% humidity. The mesh jacket, jeans and boots was all I could stand.

I have always worn leather grear, I was looking at some Joe Rocket Balistic gear. It is in a Tall size (I am a tough Fit) balistic pants and long coat, it was reasonably priced, but I have nothing to compare? I did a search and found nothing? any way, is the gear any good? anything else I should know?
I am looking for something water proof and good for the cold days, the balistic seams to fit the bill. It also has a removable liner. Otherwise I just wear a Hien Garik leather with vents.

Thanks for any help!
I ride with a 2 piece stitch' https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcr...ts-p-17138.html and when the temps get above 90 a First Gear Meshtex https://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb.nsf/Pro...81?opendocument with the bottom half of the stitch'. Works for me.

I think there is something to be said about having gear for warm and cold. I have Cortech that I really like on cool and cold days and Joe Rocket Supermoto for warm and hot days. the Joe Rocket supermoto is a combination of leather, perferated leather, mesh and other textiles. It is absolutely wonderful on the hot days, like i am in a teeshirt and jeans. Once the sun goes down though it can get nippy fast so I carry my the liner to my Cortech jacket with me.

I've been wearing Fieldsheer's Hight Temp mesh jacket and Four Seasons Pants. It's not "get off" tested (hope I never have to test it ) but it is heat tested... 100+ degrees in Vegas, as long as your moving its bearable. One word of advice... regardless of what manufacture you choose, find a vendor that will accept returns/exchanges, it seems that sizings between manufactures vary quite a bit. I tried some of the Olympia stuff and needed a large, in the Fieldsheer line I'm a medium. So far I like the Fieldsheer stuff, I'm thinking of getting the Highland Jacket for winter use...

K

(snip)For the really cold days we have First Gear Kilimanjaro III jackets. Not too crazy about them, the pockets are very weird and hard to use.
The pockets on the Kili II and IV are better than on the III. I wear mine year round along with HT overpants. I think I'm actually more comfortable with the overpants in hot weather because they block the heat from the engine and fuel tank.

I have the Kili II that I wear in cold/wet wx. Great for both and comes with a nice fleece removeable liner. I agree that the pockets are "wierd." I don't use 'em anyway, I figure if I go down I don't want anything pounding the crap outta my from inside my pockets!

I feel compelled to add that IMO, all the one-piece suits have their rain liners backwards. Stopping to put on rain liners UNDER the one piece that you now have to remove on the roadside is, IMHO, nuts!!!It's very, very seldom that I start out the day knowing that I'm about to get wet and go ahead and dress in the liners first. To me, the best rain gear is what you can put on OVER TOP of your regular gear.
While your gear came with a liner, I'd suggest that you reserve it for those times when you have to start off in the rain. I find that Frogg Toggs are light, compact and solve your desire for a garment that'll go on over your existing clothes.

Jim

The other issue I have with waterproof liners is that they allow the primary layer of your gear to get wet. As you ride that water evaporates and evaporation uses up heat so you get cold.

While your gear came with a liner, I'd suggest that you reserve it for those times when you have to start off in the rain. I find that Frogg Toggs are light, compact and solve your desire for a garment that'll go on over your existing clothes. Jim
Da Grump showed these to me while I was visiting, they are amazingly lightweight, and pack down to the size of a roll of paper towels. I plan on getting some just to carry daily as insurance to work etc, they take up almost no space at all.

for anything other than local commuting, i'm a fan of the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and Hypertex overpants (generation 2 with the removable liner). they have plenty of vents and hydration+moving will keep you cooler than leather and you won't lose all your natural cooling to the wind like you do with mesh. They also double as rain gear, so less packing and inconvenience. Liners zip in, impact protection, etc.

For local commuting, I have recently switched from Joe Rocket (Phoenix) to the FG Mesh-Tex because of my preference in the jacket cut, the tighter mesh, and the layered liners that came with it. Again, mesh is a compromise. It won't be as robust as the Kili jacket, but it's better than a t-shirt or dress shirt and it's less likely to cook you in stopped traffic in the Tx summer.

As for past experience, I had a Kili1 that lasted many miles/years and retired it for the Kili2. My SiL still uses the Kili1 jacket. I also had the generation1 of the HT overpants (the liner couldn't be removed). Those were just retired for the gen2 (removable liner) upgrade. Both of these lasted many years and remained breathable and water resistant by following some simple steps.

1. Once a year, I'd wash them. Remove the armor and machine wash them in cold water with POWDERED laundy soap. DO NOT use liquid soap as it can clog the pours and prevent them from breathing. Rinse 2 more times using complete wash cycles but no soap. Let hang dry for a day or two.

2. Spray with outdoor-rated Scotch Guard. Put it on thick (good coating of foam from the spray). Let hang dry for a few days.

3. Go ride.

The pockets on the Kili II and IV are better than on the III.
having had a Kili1 and a Kili2, i consider the 2 an improvement. i have heard from others that the 3 should be skipped and go straight to the 4.

Just as a FYI....I have an Olympia motorsports men's airglide suit but am moving up to a motoport Kevlar suit which is much superior in in all aspects....which if anyone wants to see.... I'll be picking up @ WFO in Park City in July

I too am going with a mesh Kevlar pants and jacket. Expensive stuff, just like the BrakeAway throttle lock. Hope the gear works as well as the lock,and yes,I still have my JR Ballistic mesh jacket, melted sleeve and all. Great jacket till you separate yourself from your ride. Strictly my fault, not the jacket's. Talked with Wayne today and he mentioned Park City. Said he was bringing several articles of gear. Let us know how your suit works out.

Capt. Bob