That Nothing Was Really Something!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Every year after duck hunting season, Loki has a Do Nothing weekend at his uncles camp in Dulac, a small village along the southeastern Louisiana coastal marsh. Seems they just go there to eat, drink, and relax. I got invited to join him and a couple of his friends and my wife realizes that shes not going to keep me away from that kind of invite. So I compromised and only went for Friday night, returning home in time to take her out to eat Saturday night. I decided to take the bike over there and enjoy the ride. All told it was about 300 miles there and back.

The weather was fantastic. Fridays high of about 65 gave way to an overnight low of about 45. Saturday was very windy, and it struggled to get to 55, but we enjoyed blue bird skies the whole time and for mid-February, thats not too shabby. Hope you enjoy the pics.

In typical fashion, I worked a ½ day on Friday. By the time I got home and packed, it was about 1:30 pm. As usual, my big blue girl is always ready for an adventure.

donothing1_zpsa5d00b34.jpg

Ill meet Loki at the camp later, but since theres no rush, I might as well enjoy the ride. First stop a veterans memorial in the big community of Lydia, Louisiana population: a couple hundred.

donothing2_zps92ebac31.jpg

Heading generally East and hugging the coast, Im enjoying the back roads, gazing into the fields and woods to watch birds enjoying their day. Heres the Intracoastal Canal Bridge near Cypremort Point.

donothing3_zps6b29071a.jpg

With traffic non-existent, I decided to strap on the camera and shoot some road shots.

donothing5_zps2866a704.jpg

Objects in the mirror are more spastic than they appear.

donothing4_zps2ed07f97.jpg

Plenty of green year round along the coast.

donothing6_zps173ec73a.jpg

Im in my Zen now the real world is long gone.

donothing7_zps17fd676a.jpg

Hey I reached a milestone!

donothing8_zpscd37e985.jpg

As you can see, my fuel situation was getting concerning, so I stopped in the big metropolis of Baldwin, Louisiana for some petrol. Theres something ironic about eating Fried Chicken prepared by someone named Slim.

donothing9_zps2e14fb30.jpg

So I opted for some horse food instead.

donothing10_zps500cde4b.jpg

Now heading due East, I crossed the Charenton Canal

donothing11_zps56865e73.jpg

donothing12_zpse26eddf2.jpg

.and rolled into the beautiful town of Franklin, Louisiana.

donothing13_zps326cb147.jpg

Franklins history is agricultural, and sugar cane still grows abundantly there. The town is laden with large mature live oaks, our State tree. There are many beautiful antebellum homes lining the main drag.

donothing14_zpsa4a535e8.jpg

donothing15_zpsa076f59b.jpg

donothing16_zps3c405b85.jpg

donothing17_zpsa4d80b68.jpg

donothing18_zpsa96c415e.jpg

I thought this old church looked nice in the sunshine with its freshly painted lap board siding.

donothing19_zpsc9bab2ba.jpg

donothing20_zps8d568843.jpg

I rode through Morgan City quickly on Hwy 90 and exited onto the curvier hwy 182, now heading Southeast toward the marsh. The road parallels beautiful Bayou Black.

donothing21_zpsb222b173.jpg

This guy keeps following me. I hope hes having ½ as much fun as I am!

donothing22_zps748a483c.jpg

Id enjoy a nature trail walk, but the sun is getting lower and I should be moving on.

donothing23_zpsf2ea2eeb.jpg

Traffic is a little thicker here, but Im working my way through the cages and enjoying my 145 hp toy proper.

donothing24_zps0f1e34eb.jpg

Just south of Houma, I ran into a little snag at the Intracoastal Waterway.

donothing25_zps3a2a9228.jpg

Seems this petro-chemical barge caused them to open the bridge.

donothing26_zpsf46c7c90.jpg

Now Im heading due South through cypress swamp toward the marsh.

donothing27_zps8d96752a.jpg

Looks like this tanker is getting a face lift.

donothing28_zps706b94a6.jpg

What a fantastic ride.

donothing29_zpsb0621841.jpg

A short distance later, I reach my destination. Lokis uncle sure knows how to camp!

donothing30_zps62a3aa49.jpg

Raising the camp accomplishes 2 things. It ensures that during hurricanes, the camp will be high and dry, and it provides a nice garage for the toys.

donothing31_zps57bb3a32.jpg

Loki had arrived some time earlier, and launched his dads boat.

donothing32_zps24320b23.jpg

Since there was still a bit of day light left, we decided to do a little fishing. There are some beautiful camps in these parts.

donothing33_zps5af95c63.jpg

donothing34_zps7aa1941f.jpg

This Brown Pelican (our State Bird) was doing a bit of grooming on the bridge structure.

donothing35_zps6b45e644.jpg

Steady as she goes, Captain!

donothing36_zps3ec75747.jpg

We picked a little slough off the Falgout canal to wet our lines. The setting sun to our backs is providing some great color to our fronts.

donothing37_zpse823b473.jpg

donothing38_zpsdcc03cd2.jpg

I love watching birds and this time of the year, at this place, Im in heaven. I was glad I brought my binoculars.

donothing39_zps0b6bb792.jpg

This Coopers Hawk is hoping a fish shows its head on the surface.

donothing40_zps578153e5.jpg

We picked up a few small redfish as the sun dipped below the horizon, and called it a day.

donothing41_zps0a75b961.jpg

Back at the camp, Loki and I enjoyed a couple of cocktails and some conversation waiting on David and Shawn to show.

donothing42_zpsd9e7dc49.jpg

And when they arrived, we started cooking. How about a lesson on preparing Crawfish Etouffee? Its a delicious Cajun dish. First, sauté the Cajun Trinity onions, bell pepper, and celery, in some olive oil.

donothing43_zpsfcb26819.jpg

Then add butter, flour, water, garlic, and some green onions.

donothing44_zpsd9b781e1.jpg

Simmer that for the time it takes to drink 1-3 cocktails. Then add the crawfish and cook for a few minutes longer.

donothing45_zpsddd8634c.jpg

Serve it over rice with a little fried redfish on the side. We are living like kings, my friends.

donothing46_zps06de9082.jpg

After dinner, I lit my pipe as we stood outside and discussed the purpose of life. Then we hit the sack and I slept like a baby.

On Saturday, I got up first, made a pot of coffee, and stood outside on the deck to do some bird watching and be thankful for my blessings.

donothing47_zps0368d16f.jpg

Soon the others started stirring and we cooked a nice breakfast.

donothing48_zpsb15a74f6.jpg

A spoon of left-over Etouffee on your scrambled eggs is not bad trust me.

donothing49_zps4fccc437.jpg

Then we bundled up and hit the water. We rode the boats 20 minutes over to Davids family camp.

donothing50_zpse00477df.jpg

The camps here are only accessible by boat.

donothing51_zpsd0b7b810.jpg

The marsh behind Davids camp is beautiful. Note the freshly planted marsh grass in the foreground. This is part of a coastal protection project initiated by the government.

donothing52_zpse340b627.jpg

We rigged up some noodles to do a little catfishing.

donothing53_zpsca3e8a19.jpg

Then we split ways with Loki and I heading in one direction, and David and Shawn in another. All of the water here is tidal and teaming with seafood at certain times of the year. From the camp deck, these people just lower their nets and wait for their dinner to come to them. Im sure there have been many a shrimp boil at these places in the past.

donothing54_zps6dac9a22.jpg

It was chilly on the water, but we had a blast.

donothing55_zps3915ff24.jpg

The fishing conditions were pretty bad, but we did manage to snag a few blue channel catfish.

donothing56_zps0166c812.jpg

.and Loki hooked a 15ish pound Black Drum, which we released.

donothing57_zps03256652.jpg

donothing58_zps2e6945e5.jpg

A little later, David and Shawn caught up with us.

donothing59_zpsbc1ce2bb.jpg

And we ran together to check the noodles.

donothing62_zps51dc58d8.jpg

We caught a couple of catfish on the noodles, but it was kind of slow. OTOH, the bird watching was excellent. Heres about 6 Rosiad Spoonbills.

donothing60_zps771e5770.jpg

They mate for life and winter along the gulf coast. In mating plumage, they are a beautiful pink.

donothing61_zpse6552759.jpg

Heres a red tailed hawk.

donothing63_zps913377c7.jpg

I guess we were just a little too close for his liking

donothing64_zpsd741742c.jpg

We also saw 1 Bald Eagle. It was amazing. By mid afternoon, although not too great, weve managed to snag a few fish.

donothing65_zps612ec233.jpg

Loki brought me back to the camp, where I packed my bike to head home. Loki re-joined his friends for another night of eat, drink, and be merry. A little short on time, I plugged in my heated jacket and took the direct route home, riding the entire 130 miles straight without stopping. I arrived safely about 6 pm with plenty of time to honor (and enjoy) my date with my wife.

Man, that do nothing was really something!

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Of course I had to work all weekend. Again.

I am curious as to exactly where your friend's camp is located. I used to open white shrimp season every year in the Bayou Dularge, Lake Mechant area. I sometimes sold my shrimp at the Falgout Canal bridge in Theriot.

I am glad that you had a nice time, I really appreciate you sharing this most excellent report. Of course I am looking forward to you and I spending some time in a boat somewhere.

Great RR, Thanks a lot. My last project brought me to Pascagoula, MS and NOLA, so on the way to NOLA, one could enjoy what you so greatly put in stills!

Well done!

V

RPK

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the RR. You are obviously a man after my own heart. I grew up on the central gulf coast of fla. I really miss all the water and the wild life that live in and around it. Rdfish is one of my favorite things to eat and catch. Keep doin whatcha doin!!!

Looks like a great weekend, 'pants :)

I luv catfish!

And grass (we're in the midst of another winter storm) :blink:

Thanks for reading my report - I suppose those of us hibernating up North can appreciate a little greenery these days.

R/H - the camp I stayed at is on the Falgout Canal about 150 feet East of the Theriot bridge. Typical lock jaw, day after a front, rising barameter, 1" visibility muddy water, 20 mph windy winter day - we manage to hit a few in the head, but this was more about enjoying the day than filling the ice chest. Shoot - I had a blast just watching the birds and riding down there. The ride back OTOH was a bit chilly and that cross wind was pissing me off. I found Hwy 90 and tucked behind a kid in a mustang going about 85 and just ripped it straight home.

and i thought swamp people was just a reality show.who dat !
"Reality" not. Troy Landry did not talk like that before he got on TV. Yes, he had an accent but it was not that exaggerated. He was also a millionaire before he was "discovered". Yes, there are folks here like those, but the majority does not look, act, or talk like those folks. The one's that live in the area Pants was fishing really have a very pleasant sounding French accent. There is not much down there for the casual tourist but for a man with a boat and some knowledge, there is plenty to eat.

Oh, for what it is worth, I can fake a "Cajun" accent with the best of them but neither myself nor Pants sound anything like "Swamp People". Of course, for the right amount of money...

Looks like a fun trip.

I think one of these days I'm going to have to do a northern take on crawfish etouffee, with lobster instead of crawfish since the former is more plentiful than the latter...