That V-Twin sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spalkin

Reaction score
This video actually almost had me picking up a '99 TLS. I'm in love with this bike, but sanity and fiscal responsibility took over and so I remain a one bike man. For now.

The sound alone is worth the price of admission. CLICK

The clip-ons on this bike are actually ahead of the forks. It wouldn't be as comfy as the Feej but great fun on the side.

On our recent foray into the foothills on the OrangevaleFJR Memorial ride RoxxieRae brought her (new to her) SV1000....with a set of aftermarket cans. Yes, the Suzuki V-twin sounds rather loverly when "uncorked". ;)

Uhm....and the SV is a bit more comfortable than the TL. :eek:

Yea, Mike. I don't like them loud and raspy. If they're muffled just right you get that deep, velvety tone.

Yeah, that's why my SV-650 is my 2nd bike. I love that sound, and the low-down V-twin torque, even on a 650. Mine's gotten better since I have 50K miles on it and the pipes have gotten old. At Bike Week I heard someone with a REALLY nice pipe (think Termingonis on a 916) but I never found out what it was.

I've always loved the TL-S (and never liked the TL-R for some reason). I've looked at a couple used but, really, my wallet would walk towards an SV1k. They detuned the engine a slight bit, but it's a much more complete motorcycle.

Oh yea. Looks like the SV line is the reincarnation of the TL line which suffered from mostly bad press in it's first year.

This must be the 'TL' done right.

Gotta check some prices. I love that 90° placement. No balance shafts necessary.

Tenchi; I checked out the vids. Definitely sedate with the stocker, the scorp system sounds great. You can tell it's not as deep as the 1000.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a Leo Vince high-mount can on mine. I love the sound!

DSC01560a.jpg

When I had my TLR, I had a full race Yosh system on it. That thing sound great! It wasn't terribly loud at cruise, but when you got on it, it would get really rumbly. It set off car alarms at low speed because of the thumping sound it gave off. It was great!! And surprisingly, I never had one complaint from any neighbor. I would come home from work riding it at midnight too.

Rick

When I had my TLR, I had a full race Yosh system on it. That thing sound great! It wasn't terribly loud at cruise, but when you got on it, it would get really rumbly. It set off car alarms at low speed because of the thumping sound it gave off. It was great!! And surprisingly, I never had one complaint from any neighbor. I would come home from work riding it at midnight too.
Rick
I bought a 1997 TL new and added everything to it. I loved the bike but for some reason I sold it. When the buyer rode off I knew that I had made a mistake. Last year I looked for one but they are all trashed by the kids. I bought a SV 1000S and loaded it up and it comes close to the TL. There is just something about a V TWIN.

I bought a 1997 TL new and added everything to it. I loved the bike but for some reason I sold it. When the buyer rode off I knew that I had made a mistake. Last year I looked for one but they are all trashed by the kids. I bought a SV 1000S and loaded it up and it comes close to the TL. There is just something about a V TWIN.
Especially a Harley V-Twin! :rolleyes:

Definitely the larger the displacement, the better the sound. 1000cc seems to work fine.

As far as finding ones that kids have trashed already, if you look on eBay or Cycle Trader you can find some perfect beauties.

I'm still tempted. I can play that video all day.

Sorry Motochick :(

Rick
Yeah I know what you mean. I really miss the old TLR. I only sold it because I broke my kneecap and it was hard to ride it afterwards. Some tweaker bought mine. He rode off and I got a notice a few weeks later from the CHP that it had been impounded. He probably was out stunting on it and got caught. I'm sure it a waded up mess now.....It was a spotless bike with nary a scratch on it.

Rick

Want to still be fiscally responsible and still get that sweet V-Twin sound? Check this out!

clicky

I know the seller, and he's a pretty reputable wrench.

What the Suzuki TL (and new replacement SV) wanna be when they grow up:

Same 90 degree V twin sound... I love it. No, they sound nothing like a 45 degree V twin. Much better...

I have a 98 TLR and its a very fun bike to ride and quite a bit more comfortable that you'd expect. not quite as fast as a 1000cc I-4. you can hide a nitrous bottle under the passenger seat which helps a lot.