The Canary in the Coal Mine???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These problems are not only limited to motorcycles. My wife works closely with a major boat manufacturer that is also scrambling to find solutions to the recent trend of slumping sales and, in fact, is looking closely at HD's method of handling the problem by cutting labor costs through breaks in production. Given the multi billion $$$ industry that is recreational vehicles, ramifications could be big and could send ripples throughout the economy.

The problem is much greater than to simply cut prices and hope for increased sales. I would suggest that, should sales continue to slump, we will most likely see line reductions and fewer models being introduced in the next few years. That would be in sharp contrast to the amazing growth of the industry during the last decade. I'm only saying it could happen ... but let's not jump out the window just yet.

Murph Don't know what type of Boat those guys are building but the company that employs me is currently on track to have another record year in sales. I don't know what we're doing right but have a couple of models we can't build fast enough.

Current production is 16 boats a day. I've been on mandatory ten hour days since April. Going to ramp up a second shift to meet demand shortly. And we're in Michigan where the economy just plain sucks.

:jester:
Wow... if I move there can I get at job at your factory? there's tons of jobs here in DFW... if your a super techno qeek, a medical or financial anything or just want to work for $7 ah hour assembling A/C compressors for Hondas.... but I dont' fit any of those descriptions! <G>

mary

[quote

So, should I sell the HD and Bayliner stock and buy PPK?

Nope buy guns and ammo... not stock.... I can get more for my ill assorted collections of firearms than I can for jewelry that's actually worth about 15 times as much...

Mary