The end of an era

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
On December 31 Garmin notified it's distributors that the 276c/278/376c/378/478 are officially discontinued - apparently effective with the notice.

They are still shown as current products on Garmin's web site as I write this.

As many of you know, I (and many others) consider this series to be Garmin's best implementation of a navigator - the combination of razor sharp, high resolution display and extreme configurability makes for an unbeatable combination.

Hopefully whatever Garmin replaces these units with will be at least as good.

The cancellation does not mean you won't be able to buy the model - heck you can still get NOS and NOH Streetpilot IIIs and Garmin's current mapping works with all of these. But prices for the series should fall dramatically . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to guess, I think the replacements for the 276 and such are the GPSMAP 620 and 640 - Very interesting devices. 5.2 inch very high resolution screens!!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=14898

cf-md.jpg

From the product page: Automotive/motorcycle-friendly: [SIZE=24pt]yes[/SIZE]

Wow. Have been wanting to try a 478, but they are just too darned expensive. Maybe prices will significantly drop in the next year or so and make it a possibility for me.

Edit: Just read your link on the replacement. Wow. That could be the utimate GPS. If it has the great displaty of the 478, and a TOUCHSCREEN, this could be the ultimate GPS.

Just read your link on the replacement. Wow. That could be the utimate GPS. If it has the great displaty of the 478, and a TOUCHSCREEN, this could be the ultimate GPS.
Close... But where's the Bluetooth and MP3??? And, while I can't imagine why you'd need traffic reports on a boat, it would be nice to be able to get weather reports while in the automotive mode.

Wow. Have been wanting to try a 478, but they are just too darned expensive. Maybe prices will significantly drop in the next year or so and make it a possibility for me.
Edit: Just read your link on the replacement. Wow. That could be the utimate GPS. If it has the great displaty of the 478, and a TOUCHSCREEN, this could be the ultimate GPS.
I couldn't find a line item for BlueTooth on either unit. Maybe that will be the difference for the rumored 660.

These are Marine units first with automotive capabilities - no Bluetooth integration, no MP3. Just a HUGE ultrahigh resolution and very bright sunlight readable display and the ultimate in configurability. The ZUMO 660 is a bike unit first, presumably with an automotive mount included . . . . and it certainly is more than a rumour, since the splash screen has been on Garmin's site for a week now.

There was no BT in the 276 series either, FWIW. You can always sync with the Autocom directly, though knowing who is calling by watching the screen is always a nice touch.

I just bought a new 376c off of flea-bay last week for $399. I like it much better than the Zumo 450 it replaced. My only quibble is the proprietary memory card that costs a fortune.

When it has Google maps built in, complete with Street View and the optional "Know who's in what house at what time" feature, it will be then be the ultimate GPS. Until then, it's just a really freakin' cool one!

I just bought a new 376c off of flea-bay last week for $399. I like it much better than the Zumo 450 it replaced. My only quibble is the proprietary memory card that costs a fortune.
It came with the XM pod, so you can sell that, buy a 512 meg chip and put the change in your pocket . . .

If you read my review of the Zumo 550 on Ebay, you'll see that my conclusion was that to the effect that "if you never owned a navigator, the Zumo is the cat's meow, but if you'd ever owned a 276 (or it's cousins) then you'd have been spoiled for life".

It came with the XM pod, so you can sell that, buy a 512 meg chip and put the change in your pocket . . .

If you read my review of the Zumo 550 on Ebay, you'll see that my conclusion was that to the effect that "if you never owned a navigator, the Zumo is the cat's meow, but if you'd ever owned a 276 (or it's cousins) then you'd have been spoiled for life".
Yeah, but I'm liking the XM radio. :yahoo:

I have a 276 (monochrome) I bought way back and used it on various boats I owned. Since I am boatless now I loaded up street maps and mounted it on my FJR. One thing I do like about it is the ability to tether it to a laptop (no not on the motorcycle) and download routes and trip data. It is the end of an era.

Mark