The FJR as a sportbike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GL1800 weighs in much less than the 1k lbs previously claimed
So how MUCH less than the 1k does it weigh - 900? 950???
Not much, if Bob's on it.

:tease:
Unfortunately Greg, you are correct! But that doesn't slow me down much, even with a trailer on the back, be it the gargantuan Wing or the more diminutive FJR :yahoo:

I tried to look up the weight in my manual, but I guess it's like asking a full figured lady what she weighs :rolleyes: I think the claimed weight is around 850 lbs, a mere 200 pounds heftier than the FJR :rolleyes:

See you in Utah? Think my brother will ride my FJR up there. I'll be the one on the big, fat wing and trailer...

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall a thread on my 600R forums about a dude at Deals Gap on a big yellow Goldwing that could spank all but the most experienced riders.
Rider.....not the bike

-Don
That same dude did an Iron Butt on the Dragon (back and forth, back and forth) on his goldwing last spring. It's humbling.

andromedusa said:
I recall a thread on my 600R forums about a dude at Deals Gap on a big yellow Goldwing that could spank all but the most experienced riders.
Rider.....not the bike

-Don
That same dude did an Iron Butt on the Dragon (back and forth, back and forth) on his goldwing last spring. It's humbling.
Sorry, I see that bvail already covered this better.

FJR... the choice of demigods everywhere...

Quick, someone call the Moto-GP teams and tell them they have it all wrong. Heavier bikes are faster through corners.

And now, this just in: FJR's top out at 180 mph!

I haven't posted very often but had to throw my 2 cents in on this one. Rode my Futura from Dayton Ohio to the Moto GP races in '05 with a ST1300 and a '93 Venture, had myself a BLAST. No problem riding the Fut 500/ 600 miles a day. Mine had a Givi 46l box on the back(which is now on my FJR) and as has been stated the Futura is just a different ride. The seat IS a little more comfortable then the FJR's but not by much, the weight difference is noticable in parking lot stuff and REALLY tight turns, but again not by a whole lot. I really liked my "Itilain Whore" BUT would I trade my FJR for another one NO WAY. And I say this because there is NO comparision when it comes to service for the bikes. Try finding parts for your Aprilia, 2 weeks for a starter relay, 6 weeks and counting for a kick stand! Closest dealer 65 miles away and bikes sitting for 4 months waiting for parts. This didn't all happen to my bike but there you are. If your planning on doing long distances you better have a bike you can find parts for or GET parts for. That plus the fact that I've wanted an FJR sense I first layed eyes on it is the reason my Fut went and the FJR is now in my gargae. I won't even argue the better rider/ better handling/ better weight stuff....it's Parts and Service where Yamaha shines as far as I'm concered. As I said just my 2 cents, but there's NOTHING out there right now that could get me off my FJR.

trying to compare an FJR (heavier bike) to an Aprillia Futura (lighter bike) - really?
Fewer gear choices? One less makes all that difference?

Kinda like those guys who brag about the "handling" of a 1000+ lb Goldwing, isn't it?

Hey, My wing rocks :yahoo: JFWY

But I do like my wing too. One of these days I will ride it again too (new FJR in the garage)

Great rider on a slow bike will beat a poor rider on a fast bike.
Nuf sed

Speaking just for myself, and guessing about 75% of the FJR riders, as far as power and handling goes the bike has lot more capabilities than the riders. I would guess it's a small portion of riders where the upper limits of the bike's performace window is significant.

I agree with Turtle that parts availability and reliability are just as (or more) important. And that's one aspect were the FJR really shines.

But that's just me. :D

I'm left wondering if FJR owners would admit that there are better dirt bikes than the FJR?

Seems like my original post was taken as a personal affront.... or perhaps a complete comparison wherein the FJR lost. Little wonder others' past posts sarcastically referred the the FJR as God's gift to motorcycling. The FJR is but one choice among many. Some attributes shine, some do not. I've never stated my preference here between my two-- not even sure I have one-- because personal values are just that: personal.

One place Yamaha's engineers could cut fat from the FJR is the hard bags. They weigh empty about what a Futura's does full. Lighter single wall bags would make a nice option.

Recently, I rode with a friend who was on an Aprilia Futura, which is the same as my other bike. I always knew the FJR was no match for the RST as a sporting bike, but riding along side the Futura put the comparison in stark contrast. Sport-tourer vs sport-tourer.
The longer wheel base of the FJR, the 150 pounds more weight, fewer gear choices, lack of cornering clearance, etc. are all reasons why there's little surprise the RST shows the FJR so painfully lacking in sporting duty.

Now, Motorcycle Daily describes another reason: "...the bike with the lighter reciprocating mass (crankshaft, etc.) will be as fast or faster around the racetrack, due to its ability to carry more corner speed." Not only is the mass of the FJR power train heavier, but more of it is farther from the center, thus multiplying the effect... in-line 4 vs v-2.

Click here ===> https://www.motorcycledaily.com/23january07_800s.htm if you want to read the rest of the article.

None of this means the FJR isn't a great bike; it is one. It just means that you must be sure before choosing a bike what it is that you get vs what you give up... and more importantly: once choosing the FJR don't let your imagination about the FJR lull you into the notion that somehow Yamaha's engineers have rewritten the laws of physics. They have not. And if you do foget, those laws are there to swat you painfully back to your senses.

Climbing down from my soap box now. ;)
I bought bike bike for touring first and sport second. If I wanted a sports bike I would get the Ducati 1098 S and never look back. I wantde a really fast touring bike and the FJR was an easy choice. Well the BMW GT did have my attention for a while too but hey, it was too much money and who wants a bike that is always in the shop.

I'm left wondering if FJR owners would admit that there are better dirt bikes than the FJR?
There are better sport bikes, touring bikes, and dirt bikes. There are sportier sport-touring bikes and more touring-oriented sport-touring bikes. A sport-touring bike is a compromise between performance and comfort. Most FJR owners feel theirs is the best, just the right point on the continuum between sport and touring. If I had wanted something sportier I would have looked harder at the Aprillia, Duc, Triumph, or Kawasaki. I chose the FJR because it was the closest to what I wanted.

So what are you trying to accomplish with this thread?

Seems like my original post was taken as a personal affront.... or perhaps a complete comparison wherein the FJR lost. Little wonder others' past posts sarcastically referred the the FJR as God's gift to motorcycling. The FJR is but one choice among many. Some attributes shine, some do not. I've never stated my preference here between my two-- not even sure I have one-- because personal values are just that: personal.

One place Yamaha's engineers could cut fat from the FJR is the hard bags. They weigh empty about what a Futura's does full. Lighter single wall bags would make a nice option.
Gee whiz, Dan, lighten up. I think some of us understood what you were saying but, on a forum dedicated to FJR motorcycles and their owners, you had to expect the responses you received. I think it was Bounce who offered the opinion that the FJR is really in the center of the genre, i.e., there are others that are SPORT-tourers and some on the other end of the spectrum as sport-TOURERS.

There will never be a day when, with equal riders, the FJR could out perform a Duc, Aprilia, Triumph ST or any of the GTs (Blackbirds, 'Busas, etc.) converted with detachable luggage, etc. FJR owners will just have to deal with that fact. Most of us have only seen pictures of a Futura, let alone having acutally SEEN on in person or ridden one. I seriously doubt the FJR was designed to compete with the "sportier" side of the equation but it does fit nicely into the niche it occupies. I seriously doubt that "lightening" the FJR is what the engineers had in mind when they designed it. Capable and powerful are a couple of words that describe the bike for me. Personally, at my current state of physical maturity, I couldn't sit in the riding position of the faster bikes for an all day ride. The FJR grants me the compromise I was looking for when replacing my Concours rather than going with a BMW RT or LT, GoldWing, etc. I suppose I have a "sporty" tourer and it works for me.

Sport-touring is more of a frame of mind when you add to the mix that there are many who convert sportbikes and standards (FZs and Bandits, etc.) that could outshine the FJR on tight twisty roads.

For me, the FJR fills my needs: Power, handling, ego gratification, service centers, parts availability, dealer support, etc. I looked "really hard" at the Futura and made my own decision as I can't afford a fleet of bikes. If I could, there would be a Futura in my garage as I think it is a sexy machine, a gentleman's sportbike.

I will offer the group this one bit of advice that "ffmedic" gave at WFO-2:

"The FJR is not a sport bike, it is a siren. She will call to you and lull you into thinking she can do things she really can't. If you listen to her song she will lead you into a situation where, when it is too late, you will find that rather than handling like a 450# sportbike the FJR is really a 650-plus# sport-touring bike. It will be much to your chagrin and it could be expensive."

Of course there are better full-on sport bikes. But the FJR isn't a full-on sport bike and anyone thinking they're going to keep up with a TALENTED rider on a full-on sport bike is short sighted. However, if you want to ride your FJR and hang out with the average-ability riders on wickedly fast bikes, a TALENTED rider can do that all day long and can show up more than a few "average" riders on much, much more capable bikes. Fact is there are rather few riders who can really push the bikes to their distinction points ON THE STREET safely and effectively. And after a 500 mile day, the guy on the FJR is feeling better and is able to unpack his stuff and change clothes... for several days back to back.

$.02

Of course it's not a sport bike.

I bought it because I was looking for something to take on > 1 day trips. The luggage is more than enough coming from touring on a '92 Nighthawk 750. There were a lot of bikes in the running when it came time to buy. The FJR looked like the best balance of form and function for ME.

Having said that the speed and performance of the FJR were more than enough to satisfy me. Plenty of twist/zoom thank you. The bike may be heavy, but the front wheel doesn't seem to be!

Also it's nice that the insurance agent sees it as a sport/TOURER.

So what are you trying to accomplish with this thread?
To point out something that would normally be obvious, which clearly isn't obvious and before it becomes painfully obvious.

The responses show it to be poorly understood. Comments like "it isn't the bike, it's the rider" are going to get people in trouble. It is the bike. I've seen tales of many riders getting into trouble by forgetting that heavier sport-tourers do not have the same sporting capabilities as lighter sportbikes. It is an easy thing to forget.

I even sugar coated my message by stating that the FJR is a nice bike-- I'm liking mine-- but denials of the obvious was the response.

I no longer give a shjt. :)

Ride safe.

"The FJR is not a sport bike, it is a siren. She will call to you and lull you into thinking she can do things she really can't. If you listen to her song she will lead you into a situation where, when it is too late, you will find that rather than handling like a 450# sportbike the FJR is really a 650-plus# sport-touring bike. It will be much to your chagrin and it could be expensive."

Hey I am coming from a GL1800, I am pretty sure this bike handles better. It sure does not act like my 900lb touring bike........... (thank god, the GW Tours sweet.... But ...... well.... You know)