The FJR as a track Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG that looks like soooo much fun!!!

Great videos. How much does it cost to do a track day like that?

Do you need specific liscensing or insurance?

Trackdays are organized "training" events held at racetracks all over the US. I don't know who might operate one in the Louisville or SLC areas, but you might want to do some research on Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technology. I think they have a list of trackday operators nationwide.

From my experience, costs are generally just under $200 per day. Riders normally select a 'group' they'll ride in and these are generally categorized as "beginner", "intermediate" and "expert". They're pretty self explanatory. Intermediate is for folks with some track experience who don't want to play with the semipro guys who are practicing in expert.

These groups are then sent out onto the track for 20 minute sessions (so the operators can run all three sessions in one hour).

Each operator has his own regulations as far as motorcycle prep, rider gear, and requirements. I don't know of any operators who require a license or insurance. FWIW - I've heard lots of talk from trackday participants that their regular comprehensive plan covers them and their motorcycle at "training events", so you might have coverage already. YMMV, so check with your agent, but don't ever say "race".

Trackdays are terrific because you get to learn, have fun, break every law on the books, and never get a ticket or see a Bluehair Buick. Check your ego at the gate and ride at a level that stirs your loins, but not your brain. You'll have a wonderful time.

Trackdays are organized "training" events held at racetracks all over the US. I don't know who might operate one in the Louisville or SLC areas, but you might want to do some research on Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technology. I think they have a list of trackday operators nationwide.
From my experience, costs are generally just under $200 per day. Riders normally select a 'group' they'll ride in and these are generally categorized as "beginner", "intermediate" and "expert". They're pretty self explanatory. Intermediate is for folks with some track experience who don't want to play with the semipro guys who are practicing in expert.

These groups are then sent out onto the track for 20 minute sessions (so the operators can run all three sessions in one hour).

Each operator has his own regulations as far as motorcycle prep, rider gear, and requirements. I don't know of any operators who require a license or insurance. FWIW - I've heard lots of talk from trackday participants that their regular comprehensive plan covers them and their motorcycle at "training events", so you might have coverage already. YMMV, so check with your agent, but don't ever say "race".

Trackdays are terrific because you get to learn, have fun, break every law on the books, and never get a ticket or see a Bluehair Buick. Check your ego at the gate and ride at a level that stirs your loins, but not your brain. You'll have a wonderful time.
+1 to my experience at Barbers

It was $350 for Sat And Sun or $205 per day, but that will depend on the organizer. I have seen it for as much as $400 a day but That was for a CLASS.

the $205 fell in my budget and now that I have leathers and know how to prep my bike, it will be easier and cheaper next time.

While it has me itching to get a track bike, I wanted to do it on the feej fo I could learn what I ride.

It's amazing how you always seem to go faster when you are chasing some one than when leading... I'm a total screwup when I'm all alone but quite smooth when I have a rabbit in front

Great stuff guys . makes me want to go on the track right now. buy the way where is barbers . just checked he nearest one to me is in s.c

While it has me itching to get a track bike, I wanted to do it on the feej fo I could learn what I ride.
I did. Got an 06 GSXR750 on Wednesday. The FJR has seen its last track day despite its excellent performance. It will be my Gap/LD bike. The Gixxer will be track only in short order. I'm getting skins for it and removing all of the lights and other chaff.

I did. Got an 06 GSXR750 on Wednesday. The FJR has seen its last track day despite its excellent performance. It will be my Gap/LD bike. The Gixxer will be track only in short order. I'm getting skins for it and removing all of the lights and other chaff.
THERE IS A WORD FLOATING IN MY HEAD RIGHT NOW...

YEP, THATS IT,

BASTARD

Sold the trailer?

No, I quit dipping. I spent $2, 253.00 last year on fucking chewing tobacco. Wife was on-board so I got the bike.

By the way: It's a luxury recreational vehicle :asshat: . Not a trailer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx to all you guys that have posted videos, they are super. Having just finished my third track day this summer, all at Gratton, just hearing the Feej pulling torque through those long gears makes my adrenaline run. Did see an honest 150mph on the straight and those great brakes haul you down to turn 1 corner speed with confidence. I did have one of the trackside suspension guys do my Feej and it helped, but I still scraped my peg feelers down to nubbins. To those of you that have not had your Feejer on the track I must say you are missing one of the great thrills the Feejer offers. Make no mistake about it the Feejer has too many compromises to be a true track bike but it sure will put a grin on your kisser. Track days are not just about speed. Most will tell you the number one thing is having fun and the two different organizations I have been to the track with have accommodated novices and stress safety. We are versatile.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Passing film.
Listen at 2:49,3:19, and 3:50 when I am following the instructor showing me the lines. Hear the pegs scrape.

Photoshop that for an angle B)

Oh thats real nice Kevin :unsure: Posting up all that stuff I need sound to enjoy, and me without a sound card in this damn machine :(

Been waiting two weeks for the kid to get it done, guess I'd better screw it up myself ;)

Great vids by the way.

:jester: