The Future of GPS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still use a dedicated GPS on the bike, as mentioned earlier (Nuvi 1390T in an Aqua Box or my old Quest), but one thing I like with my iPhone is the geo tagging of photos. Makes it pretty easy to pinpoint where I shot a particular photo long after I've forgotten (iPhoto uses Google Maps to pinpoint photos). While my phone does take excellent photos (3GS), I still keep a regular Canon point and shoot in the tank bag that I can use with gloves. Personally, a phone along the lines of an iPhone, with a capacitive touch screen, simply isn't suited for bike navigation unless you regularly ride without gloves and I don't.

The one useful thing with GPS cell phones (from NAFO, my bike with Mvette's, and FJRMGM's):

places-sample.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I still use a dedicated GPS on the bike, as mentioned earlier (Nuvi 1390T in an Aqua Box or my old Quest), but one thing I like with my iPhone is the geo tagging of photos. Makes it pretty easy to pinpoint where I shot a particular photo long after I've forgotten (iPhoto uses Google Maps to pinpoint photos). While my phone does take excellent photos (3GS), I still keep a regular Canon point and shoot in the tank bag that I can use with gloves. Personally, a phone along the lines of an iPhone, with a capacitive touch screen, simply isn't suited for bike navigation unless you regularly ride without gloves and I don't.

The one useful thing with GPS cell phones (from NAFO, my bike with Mvette's, and FJRMGM's):

places-sample.jpg
I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 12 megapixel point-and-shoot with a good (12X) optical zoom. It also has a built-in GPS which (unfortunately) doesn't interact with Google Maps but does record the position of the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

places-sample.jpg
I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 12 megapixel point-and-shoot with a good (12X) optical zoom. It also has a built-in GPS which (unfortunately) doesn't interact with Google Maps but does record the position of the photo.
I too use the Panasonic and love the GPS feature.

While smart phone technology offers many choices to the masses they will never replace dedicated devices for everyone. And need and style play into this also. Not everyone uses the Camera or GPS or Internet or Music or Blue Tooth or whatever on a phone. I also think a phone is pretty vulnerable hanging in a mount on a motorcycle.

I love the technology and it is nice if it suits your needs. Me I just need a phone and finding "just a phone" is impossible.

I do love this product and it is classy looking but not something I would use. However I am sure it will appeal to some people.

Personally I thought when moving from my 2820 to the 660 was just too cool. I love the 660. Associated Garmin mapping software sucks in certain areas though and I hope the technology and the software catch up soon.

I must say this one if pretty cool looking but not for me.