The Good & the Sad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I want to make a comment about the North Rim ride this past weekend. I have only been a member of this Forum for a few months now and this North Rim run was my first opportunity to actually get out and ride with members of not only this forum, but with members of the AZ Beemers also.

I first joined the FJR forum to gain information and working knowledge aspects of the FJR. Being I generally do as much maintenance as I possibly can on any motorized vehicle I own, I thought the forum would be a great place to learn the “tricks of the trade” so to speak about my new motorcycle. And this I have. The information provided by its members and shared with the rest of us is unsurpassed.

Then to keep everyone amused, there is the comedic side where gestures of fun are made on a daily basis where people have fun and build friendships. Some people become great friends without really ever meeting the person they now call friend. This is a rare commodity.

Equally important are the constant rides and events that are setup and organized either by some of the officers (whom by the way are just a small group of people that have either been invited to keep the sprit going and eliminating any chance for boredom to kick in) or maybe a member or two that just want to ride and prefer to share the opportunity with other members.

The reasons I list above are what I believe most people have come to expect when joining any type of club or organization. But what I noticed the most and has make me realize as the most flavorful reason anyone could have for getting involved in such a organization is what I witnessed while participating in my first event as a member of the FJR Forum; the North Rim run.

Although this ride was fun and exciting, riding at sometimes triple digit speeds while a group of about 22+ motorcycles heading up a scarce 2-lane highway, taking turns passing slower vehicles before oncoming traffic could bare down upon us. The greatest part is how two different groups (FJR Forum & AZ Beemers), come together as a single group to ride, travel and become one. As we all know that anytime a large group gets together the odds of something happening that are not planned, raises with each additional person joining the group. So when someone experiences a flat tire (in this case on a tubed tire), you can always rely on members coming together to get the situation under control and if at all possible, solved. But then it happened. Upon arriving at our destination I heard the news that the FJR Forum had unexpectedly lost one of its renowned members. Although people become saddened when they lose a friend or loved one, this situation was completely different. I really noticed this after I had returned home and once again logged onto the forum. The camaraderie that exists in this forum goes well beyond the normal degree of grief and sadness one experiences upon hearing about the passing of someone close. Because it would almost be mathematically impossible to actually meet and get to know every member on this forum, reading the messages that members leave mourning the loss of another absolutely heartwarming. Not only in one-on-one conversation, but reading message after message, members do their utmost to put their grief into words. These mostly long time, hard-core experienced motorcycle riders sit down and pour their inner most feeling of loss and sadness into words as they share their personal experiences. Many members may have never met the member that passed away, except through reading and/or writing on the forum, yet they too do their part in helping with the healing process, by sharing their personal regrets to the friends and loved ones of the deceased.

I think what I’m trying to say, is how the pure love of the sport of (motorcycling) can bring people together from points across the country and the world for not only the fun, adventure and excitement of the ride, but more importantly, to take part in sharing the grief and sadness that people experience when someone they care so much about life comes to an end. The bond between this forum and its members can only be described like that of the bond between a group of solders on the battlefield. They are family in life and in death.

I had a very nice time participating in my first organized forum ride. I look forward to many more rides and taking part in the conversation and developing friendships that this North Rim ride enabled. And I too was saddened by the news of the loss of yet another distinguished forum member. Anyone that could leave such a remarkable impact on so many individuals has to have been a really good man. What better mark or legacy could one hope to leave, to have been so liked and respected throughout ones life.

Big-D, I agree completely with your sentiments!

I, too, am a n00b here on this excellent forum, and like you joined to do research before buying my 06 Feej. I was immediately impressed with the technical information available here, and only after lurking, reading, and observing did I become aware of the close interaction among the membership. This group definitely is closer than any other I've had the pleasure of spending time with...

I spent more than two hours reading each and every comment made in the thread about TWN's unfortunate passing.

What a wonderful tribute to a warm, caring, funny man! There is no question that he contributed heavily in so many ways... way more than anyone could expect. He did it because he loved the sport of riding, and he loved life!

The expressions of regard and respect are the best possible tribute that can be made for anyone. Rest in peace, TWN! I will miss your irrereverant humor. :****:

Don

Well put, and well written. If one looks, they will find mention of this place as a haven for nazis and lemmings-typical slop from those who quickly wore their welcome out. Overall, you will find here more help than harassment, advise than avarice, tech than tripe, enjoyment than exasperation. It's a good place, with good people, and although Friday can be dangerous, it's all in good fun.

Big-D,

I agree with your sentiments with one caveat...having never served in the military in any capacity I still shuddered with your comparisons to brothers in combat in the military...I think that is an overreach.

However, I appreciated the sentiments of everything else you stated.

I had not personally expected to end up riding "with people I didn't know" when I searched on the internet for FJR information. I have found that shared rides with other FJR owners is one of the things I like most...besides dogpile Fridays... :p

Big-D,
I agree with your sentiments with one caveat...having never served in the military in any capacity I still shuddered with your comparisons to brothers in combat in the military...I think that is an overreach.
I'm not trying to slam you because i believe you made your statement in respect for service members. but as a veteran who has seen combat and seen friends killed and worse. i believe the camaraderie is from the sharing of excitement and memorable experiences. and while the excitement i have for the FJR and the people of this group may not be as high as the excitement of being shot at, its still excitement and acts on the brain in the same way. i hope this makes sense, others experience may differ.

I want to make a comment about the North Rim ride this past weekend. I have only been a member of this Forum for a few months now and this North Rim run was my first opportunity to actually get out and ride with members of not only this forum, but with members of the AZ Beemers also.
*CUT*

I had a very nice time participating in my first organized forum ride. I look forward to many more rides and taking part in the conversation and developing friendships that this North Rim ride enabled. And I too was saddened by the news of the loss of yet another distinguished forum member. Anyone that could leave such a remarkable impact on so many individuals has to have been a really good man. What better mark or legacy could one hope to leave, to have been so liked and respected throughout ones life.
I've just read Skooters report and it looks like you had (excuse me) a grand time. I look forward to meeting you on Route 66 in a few weeks time.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Big-D,
I'm not trying to slam you because i believe you made your statement in respect for service members. but as a veteran who has seen combat and seen friends killed and worse. i believe the camaraderie is from the sharing of excitement and memorable experiences. and while the excitement i have for the FJR and the people of this group may not be as high as the excitement of being shot at, its still excitement and acts on the brain in the same way. i hope this makes sense, others experience may differ.
Dear wheatonFJR and just roy: Some background in regards to Big-D's statement regarding military comparisons; which echo just roy's comment regarding the camaraderie and my reasons for firmly agreeing that there was no overreaching by Big-D.

Both Arizona FJR Forum and AZ Beemers contain a very high percentage (75%) of United States military veterans. Big-D - 20 years Navy, SkooterG- 4 years Navy, FJRobert - Vietnam combat infantryman, Dr. Bob Flanders - Vietnam combat Medical Corps, beemerdons - 6 years Army Artillery, vectervp1 - 3 years Army, Mike Conner - 6 years Coast Guard and fired on repeatedly in drug smuggling interdiction patrols, Chuck Doucet - Vietnam combat during same time as FJRobert/Dr. Bob.

K12GT Pete was a US Marine infantryman with 3 Vietnam tours (30 years in the Corps for that Jarhead); more than any other grunt I know! Motoman MarkM, "Mudslide" Miller, and many other Zoomies were Air Force veterans. And many, many more!

Even my girlfriend Donna is a Navy widow, her husband Rick served on "The Big E" off the coast of Vietnam; in air service.

So when AZ Beemers and AZ FJR Forum members raised our glasses in a memorial toast to Tim "twowheelnut" Bates it really was as if he had been in our squadrons, regiments and battalions. He was our motorcycle comrade and treated as such!!!

Last edited by a moderator: