The Great Southwest Adventure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This will be a work in progress. Over the course of 2 weeks, I took 1500+ pics which I whittled down to a mere 800+ photos. Too many to post but if anyone is interested in perusing them all, link is here.

In in the summer of 2009, I embarked on an adventure that took an unexpected turn along my personal road. As I have healed and found new strength, I decided I wanted to embark on a new journey... and so, the Great Southwest Adventure was born. My traveling companions, Scott and Sue Wade and Sally Tyler all the way from the UK, had been with me on that fateful day and now join me again to share a new journey, new memories, and new (s)miles. This trip had many meanings for me on so many different levels and I am so grateful to still be here... life has given me a second chance and I don't want to waste it. Hope you enjoy the visuals of our adventure!! :)

I met Scott and Sue in Hollister to head for Bakersfield and then Vegas to meet up with Sally who would be flying in on Tuesday to pick up her rental bike. It was a bit of an emotional start for me… a wee bit of trepidation creeped up in my mind… would my body hold up? I didn’t feel scared of anything bad happening… just hoping and praying that the trip would end in success for all of us.

We geared up and headed out Hwy. 25, zipping along right up until we ran into road work and a 20-minute delay… so we did what normal bikers do while waiting… a Chinese fire drill running around the bikes (the other drivers must’ve thought we were nuts but it definitely set the tone of lots of laughter for the rest of the trip!)… and Scott doing what Scott does best… laying down on the job. A few people see these photos and get “creeped out” but you have to understand that Scott has laid down all over the world… even the Great Wall of China… it’s just what he does… and it makes me giggle every time…

DSC3990-L.jpg

We were guided along the stretch of roadwork and then let loose upon the roadways… it was Monday morning so the roadway was pretty much ours for the taking… the sun shone, the sky beckoned, and my spirits rose as we traversed roads that are like old friends, familiar curves and beautiful vistas…

DSC3993-L.jpg

25 to 198 and into Coalinga for lunch then 33 and in to Bakersfield for the evening… we had leftover pizza from lunch and got a salad to go with it at the iHop next door to the Best Western… a meal fit for a king… well, maybe not a king but it worked for us… and a little something to wash it all down… :D

DSC3996-L.jpg

The next morning dawned cool but sunny and we set off for Vegas over 178… again, the roads were pretty much ours and we didn’t let the chance go to waste…

DSC4006-L.jpg

Walker Pass

DSC4007-L.jpg

Through Ridgecrest and into Trona where we had a bit of a snafu… there was no gas… none… zip… nada… zilch… in the entire town of Trona… so we had to backtrack to Ridgecrest to gas up… not the most exciting drive back and forth but a necessary evil…

DSC4012-L.jpg

Panamint Valley

DSC4014-L.jpg

We arrived in our steal of a deal hotel that Sue found through TravelZoo.com… $20/night!!

DSC4026-L.jpg

It wasn’t the highest class place and the décor could’ve used some work but for $20, beggars can’t be choosers! Sally had already arrived and was checked in… we dragged all our stuff up to the rooms and shared some big hugs… now the group was assembled… the real meat of the trip about to begin…

DSC4022-L.jpg

We had been checking the weather and things were not looking so blue skies… when I looked out the window that morning, I saw this… definitely get the rain gear at the ready!

DSC4027-L.jpg

We met Sally at the BMW dealer where she was picking up her rental GS1200… in red of course… the Red Brigade was now ready to ride… we were quite the eclectic group with a Beemer, Sue’s Guzzi, Scott’s Honda, and Clyfford…

DSC4029-L.jpg

The ride to Springdale, UT wasn’t particularly exciting and as we got closer to our destination, the raindrops started to fall from the sky… we arrived at our hotel, The Driftwood Lodge…

DSC4060-L.jpg

I give this place 5 stars and the restaurant there was just stellar… the bar was raised high for culinary delights at this place… fabulous food, fine wine, and a toast to friendships made the evening…

DSC4053-L.jpg

Sue was our weather watch goddess and the next day we had originally been scheduled to see Bryce Canyon, one of the high priorities of this trip… given it was going to snow, we decided to delay leaving Springdale a day and spent a day off the bikes doing the tourist thing… took the shuttle through the park, took pictures, did a little shopping in downtown, and just relaxed for the day experiencing Zion….

DSC4068-L.jpg

How many German tourists can you smush into one shuttle? A lot it seems… standing room only and barely that!

DSC4075-L.jpg

The morning was overcast but by the time we got to the last stop, the sun had fought it’s way out to shine down upon us and the beauty of Zion…

DSC4079-L.jpg

DSC4119-L.jpg

DSC4133-L.jpg

DSC4175-L.jpg

DSC4187-L.jpg

Scott photo bomb…

DSC4130-M.jpg

What I was trying to photograph…

DSC4127-L.jpg

The squirrels in the park were bold and shameless... my kind of critter! I was sitting on a rock when this little guy came up and tugged on my pants trying to get a handout… I shooed him away and he foraged nearby…

DSC4142-L.jpg

Artwork in downtown Springdale…

DSC4211-L.jpg

In the course of about 30 minutes the skies went from this…

DSC4219-L.jpg

To this…

DSC4220-L.jpg

We skeedadled back to the safety of our hotel for another wonderful meal and conversation with another couple on the road for a couple of months from Texas… the next morning dawned with blue skies and cold temps… Happy with the blue skies part, we bundled up for and headed out…

DSC4224-L.jpg

Next up – more of Zion and Bryce Canyon… finally!

Oh Baby, I have been waiting for this one! Starting out great and I just know it is headed to fantastic! We Love Your Ride Reports Ty, Thank You!

I don't have any fancy youtube videos to respond with...but just want to say "Hurray for you." :clapping: Looking forward to the rest of the report...but in the meantime, this photo brings good feelings and good memories to mind...

DSC3993-L.jpg

...just beautiful.

I don't have any fancy youtube videos to respond with...but just want to say "Hurray for you." :clapping: Looking forward to the rest of the report...but in the meantime, this photo brings good feelings and good memories to mind...

DSC3993-L.jpg

...just beautiful.

Ditto. Absolutely Gorgeous photos Tyler. This picture caught my eye as well -- looks like a painting -- just need the stoic couple with a pitchfork!

All the photos are rich and memorable Tyler. Sorry we missed you out there, but you had good company! I won't comment on every post, but know I am proud of you for getting going and having an adventure! And I will be looking forward to reviewing your photos. I'll be sharing with Kat since my pictures of this area sucked.

Again, Thank you for sharing!!

Oh Baby, I have been waiting for this one! Starting out great and I just know it is headed to fantastic! We Love Your Ride Reports Ty, Thank You!
Thanks, Papa... I was bummed that it didn't work out that we could share some of those (s)miles together but after this trip, I plan to head back for more... maybe we can make it happen then. :)

but in the meantime, this photo brings good feelings and good memories to mind...
Yeah, I was thinking about that trip too as we rode 25... B)

Awesome pix Tyler! :yahoo: Looked like a great time.
I ain't done yet, Simon!!! :lol:

All the photos are rich and memorable Tyler. Sorry we missed you out there, but you had good company! I won't comment on every post, but know I am proud of you for getting going and having an adventure! And I will be looking forward to reviewing your photos. I'll be sharing with Kat since my pictures of this area sucked.

Again, Thank you for sharing!!
Sorry we missed you too... but, as I mentioned to beemerdons, I would love to go back again! Give Kat a big hug for me, k? :D

what...no swamps, cypress knees, or big white mansions with white pillars ??? :p
I'm a little behind in my storytelling, ain't I? :p

We wound our way through Zion in the crisp, morning air… the towering rock faces surrounded us in all their glory and we just stood there in awe… look at our itty bitty bikes in the turnout…

DSC4236-L.jpg

DSC4238-L.jpg

Scott and Sue had left a bit before Sally and I to take a short hike… we waited for them at the end of the tunnel… I love the textures and layers of all the different rocks here…

DSC4257-L.jpg

Scott/Sue returned from their hike invigorated and ready to ride… Sally, who is not fond of heights or narrow trails with drop offs right next to you, was glad that she didn’t attend with them…

DSC4264-L.jpg

Continuing on through the park, we were treated with many visual wonders…

DSC4268-L.jpg

DSC4272-L.jpg

DSC4281-L.jpg

DSC4283-L.jpg

DSC4285-L.jpg

The morning had warmed up but as we continued our elevation climb out of the park, the temperatures dropped and we encountered our first round of snow as we headed for Bryce Canyon…

DSC4290-L.jpg

Red Rock…

DSC4301-L.jpg

Until finally we had arrived…

DSC4306-L.jpg

I had been through Zion a few years ago on the way to Moab for a dirt biking trip but had not had the time to visit Bryce… it was a place that was high on all of our lists to see and the anticipation grew as we got closer. We parked at the Lodge and walked out through the trees… I could see the empty horizon and knew it was right there, just waiting… and oh my, what a sight it was! The best photographs in the world cannot convey the wonder of this landscape that lay before is… a Brit friend of mine uses the word “gobsmacked”…

gobsmacked (ˈɡɒbˌsmækt) —adj slang (Brit) astounded; astonished

And that’s what we were… I sat on a bench at the rim and the emotions overwhelmed me for a bit… I was here… I made it… and I got to share it with some of my favorite people in the world… and life, at that moment, was the best it had ever been…

DSC4309-L.jpg

Bryce-pano1-XL.jpg

DSC4316-L.jpg

The hoo doos were elegant and looked almost like statues or castles in time…

DSC4315-L.jpg

DSC4342-L.jpg

DSC4334-L.jpg

DSC4362-L.jpg

This raven was getting lots of attention and seemed to be very happy posing for pictures… he was huge!

DSC4329-L.jpg

And I just had to get a shot of this gent as his plumage defied description as well… LOL

DSC4365-L.jpg

While the entire trip was fantabulous, this was definitely one of the highlights!

Next up… of Hwy 12, snow, and free range cattle… oh my!

Tyler, nice as usual. I was going to pick one and say it was my favorite but I liked them all.

I guess that I need to go visit and it looks like your timing for time of year was perfect.

Nice RR, I would like to do a National Park Tour, since most of the canyons are in the same area, I went through there in 08 on my way to Taos in June in 100+ deg heat. too hot to stop to enjoy the sights.

Great pics T! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure!

Looking forward to the next couple weeks... :)

--G

+!

Love Bryce Canyon pics with snow, it really highlights the amazing colors of the rocks.

Hwy 12 is one of my all time favorite roads. Followed a Kali Beemer rider thru there on a UT 1088, we both stopped at Torrey to fuel up and asked him how he liked that stretch. He said he couldn't look because he was afraid of heights!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :D :D

Hwy 12 is a road made by human, blessed with the spirits of the motorcycle gods. Looking forward to the pictures to remind me of roads I haven't been on for several years.

I'm askeeered of heights as well...but HWY 12 has to be ridden. If I wasn't in the middle of a 600 mile day this past May, I would have lingered longer.

Making a point to go back there...2up.

Fantastic report there Tyler. I love Bryce.

Waiting impatiently for more.... :clapping:
Patience, grasshopper!! :D

We left Bryce to traverse Hwy 12 to Torrey where we would stay for the evening. I had driven this in the car a few years ago on the way to Moab for a dirt biking trip and thought what a blast it would be to ride it on a different vehicle! The first section is lots of amazing rock formations and some lovely twists and turns that wind their way through.

DSC4384-L.jpg

We were continually dodging that big ass rain cloud in the background… we missed running into it, thank goodness!

DSC4387-L.jpg

DSC4409-L.jpg

DSC4393-L.jpg

DSC4394-L.jpg

DSC4396-L.jpg

As we continued, the elevation change resulted in some extremely cold weather… 28 degrees at the summit to be exact! It was overcast so no sun to help warm up the day. It was stark and achingly beautiful with the snow and fall colors protruding through the white… kind of like a winter wonderland…

DSC4413-L.jpg

DSC4416-L.jpg

IMG0013-L.jpg

IMG0018-L.jpg

Scott enjoying the moment… either that or thinking, “Holy crap it’s cold!!”

IMG0017-L.jpg

Free range cattle roamed the sides of the road… as well as standing right in the middle of it! I came around a bend to find two of them standing smack dab in front of me… it was a Mexican stand off while I waited for them to figure out wtf they were gonna do, then I gently rode past them… crazy cows!!

IMG0020-L.jpg

The temperature gauge hit 41 as we neared Torrey and we were actually happy to have it “warm up”! Arriving at the Rim Rock Inn, we unpacked and had a great dinner at the onsite restaurant. Good food but I think the waitress wasn’t quite sure what to make of us we because we exhibited a high end sense of humor and she wasn’t getting it…

DSC4418-L.jpg

DSC4423-L.jpg

I believe we have Scott & Sue’s holiday card photos for this year!

IMG0021-L.jpg

IMG0022-L.jpg

The original plan was to head to Ouray, CO but, after checking the weather and seeing snow flurries in the forecast and given Sue was still nursing her collarbone back to health (which she broke in India a few months ago), decided we would detour south to less risky and warmer climates. We could be brash and bold another day.

So we mapped our route and headed off to sleep, ready for the next day’s adventures. Next up, Capitol Reef and Arches!

Last edited by a moderator: