The Great Southwest Adventure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tyler, what an awesome trip, and phototography. And reclaiming yourself. Outstanding!

Eagerly awaiting more!

Thanks all for the kind commentary... I'm waiting for OM to show up sometime soon with a doctored photo... it's been quiet... too quiet... :glare:

Okay, let’s see… where were we? Oh yeah, it was time to head for the Grand Canyon which was the impetus for this whole trip. Originally, we had planned to do this first but because of weather issues (was told by the ranger there had been 6” of snow the previous week), we swapped our plans around so this would be toward the end of the trip. The weather was perfect – cool temps, sunny skies, and beautiful fall colors.

But first we had to get there! So off we went through the land of many straight roads and stopping to see some smaller sights along the way…

Lake Powell

DSC5007-XL.jpg

Navajo Bridge at Marble Canyon

DSC5019-XL.jpg

DSC5010-XL.jpg

Cliffdwellers in the Vermillion Cliffs area… it wasn’t quite what we were expecting! Seems in the 1920’s, a woman had her car break down in this spot. She liked the area, bought the land, and built some shelters amidst the various rock formations… weird little place…

DSC5062-XL.jpg

DSC5024-XL.jpg

DSC5026-XL.jpg

DSC5031-XL.jpg

The main house…

DSC5037-XL.jpg

Roof needs a little work…

DSC5045-XL.jpg

Room with a view…

DSC5046-XL.jpg

Continuing along 89A, we viewed the plains below us as the road finally began to undulate its way through the mountains…

DSC5068-X2.jpg

The moon was full that evening… I don’t have the right equipment to get a close up shot so this will have to give you the idea… lol

DSC5070-L.jpg

We had no internet or cell phone connection and things kind of wind down early up at Jacobs Lake so we were in bed around 8 p.m. that night!! Sally and I were joking that here we were… two hot, single motorcycle chicks out on the road… in by bed by 8 p.m. Woo hoo!! Livin’ large, wild and crazy gals are we!! LOL

We stayed at Jacobs Lake Inn, outside of Grand Canyon… the place was very rustic… VERY rustic… don’t think there have been many upgrades on the place since its inception… but our waitress, a cute young blonde gal from Brigham Young University, was bright-eyed and almost annoyingly cheery stating that everyone was “awesome”… the sandwich we ordered, the beer we drank, the motorcycles we rode, the breakfast we had… it became the word for the rest of the trip! This big boy was our neighbor… luckily he didn’t howl too much but he didn’t like it when his owners went out to get something eat!

DSC5074-XL.jpg

The next morning was pretty cool but not nearly as bad as it had been at the summit of Hwy 12… we layered up and began the 40+ mile jaunt into the park. Along the way, it was obvious that Mother Nature was starting her show of fall colors which graced our sight in many places along the way…

DSC5076-X2.jpg

There was still some morning ice on the landscape but luckily none on the road…

DSC5081-XL.jpg

w00t!!!

DSC5084-XL.jpg

Into the park and more fall colors…the sun lit up the yellow colors… it was so vibrant!

DSC5087-X2.jpg

DSC5094-X2.jpg

DSC5105-X2.jpg

DSC5152-X2.jpg

Our first stop was Inspiration Point… and we were… inspired that is! It was a bit hazy and the sun directly in front of the canyon views so photos were a challenge at that point… it kind of looked like some sort of sci-fi backdrop with the rocks outlined…

DSC5098-X2.jpg

DSC5100-X2.jpg

So we enjoyed the moment and then moved along to the next vista point, Angel Point…

DSC5108-X2.jpg

Do you see the teeny, tiny, itsy bitsy people on the top of the rock? Kind of puts this into perspective!

DSC5109-X2.jpg

Walking out onto this point is not for the faint of heart (or those with a fear of heights… I had to focus real hard on keeping my eyes in front of me to see where I was walking and not get the heebie jeebies by looking down! I just sort of held my camera up and over to try and get a shot down without getting to close the edge… sorry but that’s the best I could do!

DSC5122-X2.jpg

Scott, on the other hand, has no issue with heights or getting ridiculously close to the edge of those cliffs to take a picture… you think lying in the middle of an empty road is crazy??

DSC5128-X2.jpg

DSC5137-X2.jpg

Sally braved her fear of heights for a closer look…

DSC5141-XL.jpg

Scott and Sue enjoying the moment…

DSC5125-XL.jpg

I find the gnarled trees fascinating in their geometry and starkness against the sky…

DSC5151-X2.jpg

We had a delicious lunch at the Grand Canyon Lodge even though our waiter seemed to be pained to actually give us any sort of service…

DSC5155-XL.jpg

Scott and Sue hoofed it out to the point out there but my little legs had done as much walking, stair stepping, and sidling up for one day…

DSC5159-X2.jpg

So Sally and I enjoyed the view from a different, and more comfortable, vantage point…

DSC5157-XL.jpg

Some shots on the way out…

DSC5164-X2.jpg

There is a huge section that looks like it was burned out awhile back… forgot to ask the ranger when that had happened… but the land was starting t ocome back and shrubbery and smaller trees were working their way back into the landscape….

DSC5170-X2.jpg

DSC5179-X2.jpg

DSC5186-X2.jpg

Scott and Sue…

DSC5177-X2.jpg

And then along comes Sally…

DSC5189-X2.jpg

I loved this tree in the middle… completely white and really stood out…

DSC5192-X2.jpg

It was an absolutely brilliant day and we returned to the Inn for some more awesome with our waitress before retiring for the night… this time we stayed up until 9 p.m.!!

Next up… the final chapter... the journey home…

There is a huge section that looks like it was burned out awhile back… forgot to ask the ranger when that had happened… but the land was starting t ocome back and shrubbery and smaller trees were working their way back into the landscape….

I asked em last time I was there, it was from a lighting strike a few years ago

Great pictures and RR, I need to get back there and spend more time sight seeing, I know pictures don't do justice as to being there seeing for yourshelf.

I asked em last time I was there, it was from a lighting strike a few years ago
Thanks for that info... was wondering what had happened to wreak so much havoc!

AWESOME RR Tyler!! Thanks :)
Thank YOU!! B)

Dang I'm jealous. I wana go........... <_<
Make it happen... it's all there for the taking... ya ain't gettin' any younger... :D

Great pics and RR Tyler...looking forward to the journey home! :)

--G
Hoping to finish up tomorrow, G... kinda like an extended orgasm... take 'em just to the brink and then slow it down a bit... :lol:

Great pictures and RR, I need to get back there and spend more time sight seeing, I know pictures don't do justice as to being there seeing for yourshelf.
True dat... to stand/walk/see these landscapes... to feel the moment of the sun streaming down on your face... to witness the spectacle that someone/thing has the power to create... makes one feel very humbled... but also very appreciative. B)