The Highlander Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHLANDER

naewittyshitepostedeere
Reaction score
I haven’t posted this on this board before so I though I’d throw it out there in case some of you can use the idea., I fabbed this up back in 2003 when there were no accessories for the FJR. If you wanted something you made it . The backrest works with the stock or any other seat.

It turned out it was easier than I thought it would be. Just nerve-racking laying out and cutting the plastic.

frontshot.jpg

Here the few components required. I ended up not using the long solid post on the right side of the pic. I was going to weld a piece of the new post onto the bottom of the factory post on the backrest, but it was long enough to slide down safely into the bracket tube. I've have the short piece of square tube stock welded to the " L " bracket. Once it is all installed it is a secure mount.

You will also need to fab a large square washer to go under the factory mount as the hole in the factory cross member piece is pretty large.

partslist.jpg

It's completely removable with two bolts and I found a square plug that fits the hole I cut in the plastic. Actually I've never removed the reciever part since it's been installed, so it's one bolt to slip out the backrest. The materials I used were 5/8" tube and 5/8" L angle bracket and fabbed a reciever hitch bracket. It bolts to the factory frame bracket that is under the seat. I slotted the tube a little to allow the backrest to be move up and down slightly, make it easier to line up the bolt hole.

bracketinstalled.jpg

You need to layout carefully as there is no room for error or the backrest support will hit the rack.

The backrest is a Corbin that I bought off of Ebay after looking for a month or so to get the correct look. I didn't really like the toilet bowl look of the factory backrest, and wanted a folding backrest.

noroomforerror.jpg

Meausure twice... cut once !!

layout.jpg

pic of the finished cut in the plastic and the snapped in plug

snapinplug.jpg

The nice benefit of the folding backrest is that it is easy for your passenger to mount up and then flip up the backrest and sit down.

I know a few guys PM’d me and copied it and were happy with the result, you 06 owners are on your own, not sure if you can adapt this idea to your new ride, but your welcome to try.

backrestsideshot.jpg

backrest2.jpg

I haven’t posted this on this board before so I though I’d throw it out there in case some of you can use the idea., I fabbed this up back in 2003 when there were no accessories for the FJR. If you wanted something you made it . The backrest works with the stock or any other seat.It turned out it was easier than I thought it would be. Just nerve-racking laying out and cutting the plastic.

frontshot.jpg

Here the few components required. I ended up not using the long solid post on the right side of the pic. I was going to weld a piece of the new post onto the bottom of the factory post on the backrest, but it was long enough to slide down safely into the bracket tube. I've have the short piece of square tube stock welded to the " L " bracket. Once it is all installed it is a secure mount.

You will also need to fab a large square washer to go under the factory mount as the hole in the factory cross member piece is pretty large.

partslist.jpg

It's completely removable with two bolts and I found a square plug that fits the hole I cut in the plastic. Actually I've never removed the reciever part since it's been installed, so it's one bolt to slip out the backrest. The materials I used were 5/8" tube and 5/8" L angle bracket and fabbed a reciever hitch bracket. It bolts to the factory frame bracket that is under the seat. I slotted the tube a little to allow the backrest to be move up and down slightly, make it easier to line up the bolt hole.

bracketinstalled.jpg

You need to layout carefully as there is no room for error or the backrest support will hit the rack.

The backrest is a Corbin that I bought off of Ebay after looking for a month or so to get the correct look. I didn't really like the toilet bowl look of the factory backrest, and wanted a folding backrest.

noroomforerror.jpg

Meausure twice... cut once !!

layout.jpg

pic of the finished cut in the plastic and the snapped in plug

snapinplug.jpg

The nice benefit of the folding backrest is that it is easy for your passenger to mount up and then flip up the backrest and sit down.

I know a few guys PM’d me and copied it and were happy with the result, you 06 owners are on your own, not sure if you can adapt this idea to your new ride, but your welcome to try.

backrestsideshot.jpg

backrest2.jpg
I did something like this to my FXLR with a Corbin Gunfighter seat. I'm thinking about doing it to my stock '06 FJR for a driver backrest. Can't seem to find a simple aftermarket solution. Where did you find the backrest?

I did something like this to my FXLR with a Corbin Gunfighter seat. I'm thinking about doing it to my stock '06 FJR for a driver backrest. Can't seem to find a simple aftermarket solution. Where did you find the backrest?
I watched E bay for about a month to find the backrest :)

Cool. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
Sitting around on meds.... I had to contribute something after the shite I stirred earlier in the week ! :D