The Million Mile Challenge. Who's In?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i did not even know about the milage stuff untill a wekk ago . I think a simple daily milage report sweet and simple and try for 2 million miles . I will take on the task of add it up . will put up a post . Go put on the miles people .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry people i jumped the gun on this one if you want i can retract the 2 million push until everyone agrees on something .

I posted through 9/21 back at post #751.

Our weather is predicted to suck for the next week, and then there's the holidays and travel and such, so I'm not likely to get any more good rides in before the new year. With this in mind, I add the following amount to what I posted in #751.

BMW K1200Rsport - 1407

FJR 1300 AE - 1788

Royal Enfield Interceptor - 9

BMW F650 Xmoto - 774

The total additional amount for the period from 9/21 to 12/15 is 3978.

add another 1870 miles for me to the Texas Hill Country, and another 230 on daily commutes. That totals 2100 since last post.

Okay, here it is . . . last tally I'm going to do on this thread. Any miles posted after this won't get added to . . .

[SIZE=18pt]1,295,898.5[/SIZE]

It's probably not completely accurate, but WTF, it sure was fum all the way around, nes pas?

Some observations

There are some serious milers on this forum. Back of the envelope, there are at least two guys who went over 50,000 for the year, and plenty that hit or topped 15,000. Like a lot.

One of the more poignant notes is that one of our departed riders logged his last miles on this thread the day before he shuffled lose the mortal coil.

If you've read this thread, and by now it's looooong, you find an amazing texture of experiences. We do a lot of riding because it's like breathing. We go there because we can. We ride to be with others that ride, and to honor those how no longer can. Some of us commute on bikes. Some of us get work three states over and ride, because, why wouldn't we?

From what I can tell, most of our posters are from the Big PX, but several have faithfully reported in from North of the Border and were kind enough to convert to "divide by 12". We have one member who has regularly posted from Japan.

Mostly the miles reported are on FJR, though not all. In case you don't know this, members have a lot of bikes, and from what I can see, some pretty darned interesting bikes, everything from Royal Enfields, to MV Agustas, to CanAm Spyders, to the full assortment of sport bikes, nakeds, Harleys, and Adventure Tourers. I suspect that if the people posting added all the miles from all the bikes they rode this year, it would be higher still.

One of our members, Zorkler, has proposed a 2 million mile challenge. I'm pretty sure it's doable if . . .

• The mile-hounds rack the big distances next year and post them. Our admins alone get us 5% of the way there.
  • Everyone on the forum posts (probably not going to happen).

Whether it happens or not, please don't lose sight of the whole point of this thread. . It was not really about the million miles. It was mostly a tease to get folks to share a quick note about what they did on their FJR so that the rest of us could cheer (and there was some of that) as well as feel cheered on. In that, I think we succeeded brilliantly.

Happy new year to all of you. What a ride 2008 has been.

Peace and all good things to you and yours

Kevin

Okay, here it is . . . last tally I'm going to do on this thread. Any miles posted after this won't get added to . . .
[SIZE=18pt]1,295,898.5[/SIZE]

It's probably not completely accurate, but WTF, it sure was fum all the way around, nes pas?
Thanks for the sticktudeness Kevin!

You know, looking back over the last year, and having the opportunity to meet a handful of these nutbars I shouldn't be surprised that these guys _RIDE_. I was stunned at EOM. I arrived there looking at the routes with their places of interest and thought.. "Sweet! Ride around the mountains and take some pics". Nope, ride around the mountains and then keep riding! I should've known by the number of IBA plate frames I saw.

I belong to another forum for another type of bike,that shall remain nameless - lets just say these guys are all deaf or are going. If the same number of guys posted up their mileage over the year, I'd guesstimate they'd have a very hard time breaking a 100,000. Yet these guys would be the first up and their feet defending themselves as 'hardcore bikers', not 'hardcore motorcyclists'. Their is a huge difference between the two, one is a lifestyle, the other is a way of life.

Nicely done guys!

P.S. I'm shocked that 2 people alone made up almost 10% of that mileage!

A million thanks for starting and maintaining this for an entire year!

I managed to hit my personal goal of 15k and have now raised the bar to hit 20k next year! :)

Thanks kevin you came up with someting riders that are into numbers and riding can get into i just mist it .T hat is why i posted it in the general forums and one of the admin . pm me and said no double posts ,Even though i ask him to leave it up until the end of 2008 and that if i missed it others have had to miss it also .

Thanks kevin you came up with someting riders that are into numbers and riding can get into i just mist it .T hat is why i posted it in the general forums and one of the admin . pm me and said no double posts ,Even though i ask him to leave it up until the end of 2008 and that if i missed it others have had to miss it also .

Z

My suggestion . . .

Start a new thread and call it: 2009 Million Mile Challenge + or something like that. I set up a spreadsheet in google docs and invite people who want in on the fun. The people who got in on the fun this year will I'm sure play next year. I'd leave the "challenge" at 1 million miles and up it if we break the number too early. We broke it as the riding season was coming to a close so it all worked out. If we run it as the million mile challenge again in 2009, it will become like an annual forum thing.

Appreciate you jumping in to do the math next year. Invite me to the spreadsheet and I may just help you out!

Cheers

Kevin

My last update for 2008:

I've added another 5844 wonderful FJR miles since my last mileage report in this thread.

This brings my 2008 total mileage to 15,644 miles. Total mileage on the FJR is now 19644 and I'm soo bummed that I didn't top 20k by the end of the year. :angry2: Between my parents being in town and 2 weeks of snow and ice :angry: , there was no way to get the mileage in. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to ride even more in 2009. :p

Happy New Year to everyone! :yahoo:

I've been watching this thread all year...but never posted any mileage. I wanted to add an

end of the year boost.

For the complete 2008 year. I logged.

10,408 miles....and that get's us over 1.3 million miles! :fan_1:

That is the most I've ridden in a year. I plan to outdo that next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you're not adding them up any more this year, but my final addition is 2591 miles, bringing my 2008 total to 27,786. Not a bad year.

Status
Not open for further replies.