The 'Most Ridiculously Priced Part' Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy part prices? My windshield quit working so the dealer thought the motor was bad. The motor is over $600 US and would take a month to get here. It was discovered somehow it pull a gasket in jammed the motor and she clammed up. YES is covering this so good deal and thanks D&H!! Crazy huh?

Aaaaaah-HA! I have discovered the culprit behind the stupidly insane prices: Brembo. Gen II's have a much more, um, reasonable kit cost of $15 or so. My Strom's are even less at $8. So, the premium for have that stylized 'b circled' logo stamped on the calipers has it's downsides... Those Eyetalians sure do like to make pricey stuff - merda santa!
Hey Brembo: :****:
My burning question is did you trot your pricey O rings down to the local bearing/gasket supply house and get the rest of us some crossover specs so we can pay 50 cents each? You know...like take one for the team.

Maybe I didn't read all the replies but has anyone checked with University Motors? I've always got a better break on parts from them than any other dealer. And as an asided I've found most big box stores have a good selection of O-rings that one can compare. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My burning question is did you trot your pricey O rings down to the local bearing/gasket supply house and get the rest of us some crossover specs so we can pay 50 cents each? You know...like take one for the team.

Bearing/gasket supply house? Here in Santa Babs? Or anywhere near? What, you some kinda comedian? I'm lucky to find bearing lube locally!

Aaaaaah-HA! I have discovered the culprit behind the stupidly insane prices: Brembo. Gen II's have a much more, um, reasonable kit cost of $15 or so. My Strom's are even less at $8. So, the premium for have that stylized 'b circled' logo stamped on the calipers has it's downsides... Those Eyetalians sure do like to make pricey stuff - merda santa!
Hey Brembo: :****:
IMO, not a good idea. In my distant past I was in charge of R&D for a company that made gaskets and other sealing parts for motorcycles. While most rubber parts are black, there are so many different types of material, all with different chemical, thermal, mechanical, etc. characteristics that your brakes are probably not the best place to try to save a couple of bucks by just matching up something with the same physical dimensions.

Have you thought about cleaning up the old ones and inspecting for flaws, or torn/crumbled rubber? If they are still soft and not mis-shaped or degraded they should work fine.

When it came time for my first brake caliper rebuild on my Venture Royale I cleaned and re used the seals. To my knowledge they had never been replaced. I was 3rd owner of that beast, bought it at 67k and sold it 9 years later at over 150k. Every time I replaced the pads I completely disassembled the caliper and cleaned it down to the bare metal/coating. The key is to never push a dirty piston back into the caliper bore and don't let the fluid turn dark brown.

Until I got my FJR I considered my Venture as an 800 pound sport bike. That sucker was quick, somewhat squirrely in the tight stuff, but quick.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator: