The new Shoei RF-1100

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsfjr

Reaction score
Or, if you've got an RF-1000...

How is it? How does it compare to other helmets you've had? Other helmet recommendations?

I'm considering a new lid, coming from an Arai Quantum II that's about 6-7 years old. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 RF-1000s, whiich I assume are the simply the older model of the RF1100 (I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong); a blue one for when I ride my blue FJR, and a red one for when I ride my R1 and Ducati. I like them a lot; I especially appreciate the 2 vents on top for air circulation on hot days. I also had older model Shoei helmets that I have liked so I'm pretty happy with them.

I have a RF-1000. Love it. Had it for a year now. Vents well, super quiet. I am eying the 1100 and have been waiting for just this discussion. See if it is worth it for the newer one.

I have the RF-1000... I like it even better than the uber-spendy Shoei X-11 I scored a couple years ago.

Glad to hear the RF-1100 is coming out, 'cuz maybe that will mean clearance discounts on old stock RF-1000s... I'd pick up another in a heartbeat!

How is it? How does it compare to other helmets you've had? Other helmet recommendations?

I'm considering a new lid, coming from an Arai Quantum II that's about 6-7 years old. TIA
I have 3 RF-1000 helmets, one is a size larger so I can wear a balaklava in the winter (btw, that is the best way I have found to keep the whole body warm - keep the neck and head warm).

Anyway, for me it is all about comfort and fit. And the Shoei does it for me. If you can find one to try on, that should help you in your decision.

SS

I just bought a rf-1000 for my birthday over the summer. I traded up from an older rf-900. (7-8 years old). Huge improvement over the older ones. Weight is less, no more whistling with the windscreen one notch open, the vents on the front and back are really nice and easy to open. And for what I got, it was pretty inexpensive too. I'd recommend trying one on since it seems that Shoei makes the only helmets that fit my head correctly. I tried an Arai when I was searching for my new lid and didn't like the fit.

I have 3 RF-1000 helmets, one is a size larger so I can wear a balaklava in the winter
:dribble: :blink: :dribble:

baklava.jpg

Doesn't yer head get all sticky and stuf???

Love my RF-1000, but it's now over 5 years old, so I'd be interested in the thoughts of anyone who has had both in comparing the new RF-1100 to the RF-1000 (for future consideration).

I have 3 RF-1000 helmets, one is a size larger so I can wear a balaklava in the winter
:dribble: :blink: :dribble:

baklava.jpg

Doesn't yer head get all sticky and stuf???

I did forget to mention to put it in the microwave for 30 seconds before wearing... Any longer and it could be painful

RadioHowie, how did you know I am Greek?

SS

I've had the RF-1000 for almost two years, before that a Shuberth Concept for a year and a half. Rode with both in all conditions for commutes and weekend canyon blasts plus the occasional long ride.

The RF-1000 is lighter, quieter and ventilates better. It handles fogging on cold mornings about the same. I miss having a good buckle but have gotten used to the straps and D rings. I can get replacement visors everywhere.

Even tho I wear glasses and they're more of a hassle without a flip-face, I'm overall more satisfied with the Shoei.

And it fits my large and weird shaped head. (not shaped like a novelty fishing lure tho! :) )

only issue I ever had with my 1000 is having to adjust the sealing between visor changes...which I don't do because I change between tint and clear in spring and fall between morning and evening commute. Says the new system takes care of this...

Might have to upgrade sooner than I'd planned... :)

Love my RF-1000, but it's now over 5 years old, so I'd be interested in the thoughts of anyone who has had both in comparing the new RF-1100 to the RF-1000 (for future consideration).

I've had the RF-1000 for a few years now and I really like it. Comfortable. Vents great. One complaint though - the left side of the helmet has a little adjustable tab to control how shut the face shield is upon closing. I suppose to allow a bit of anti-fogging action. Anyway, over long distances, the extra noise it generates gets pretty annoying even with earplugs. The left ear will ring a bit more than the right after riding. With that said, I've still never found a helmet I like better.

Aaron

My old helmet is a RF-800 and I decided this summer it was time to buy a new one. I tried on every brand that I could get access to and settled on the RF-1000 as best fitting my little pinhead. I am quite satisfied with it so far. Probably 4000 miles. I edited this post because I thought I had a RF-1100 until I checked it out.