The new Shoei RF-1100

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or, if you've got an RF-1000...
How is it? How does it compare to other helmets you've had? Other helmet recommendations?

I'm considering a new lid, coming from an Arai Quantum II that's about 6-7 years old. TIA

WAIT ABOUT 6 MONTHS!!! All new helmets coming out that met the new standards. WAIT!

of the several helmets I have owned over the years the RF1000 is the only one that didnt fit me like a head board. with other brands to get them to fit me front to back they ended up too loose side to side. back in the day I just kind of had to live with that since most helmets were bowl shaped.

The RF is also pretty quite though I still wear plugs for anything longer than a quick jaunt into work.

I'd have to go along with the all those who think the RF1000 is a good helmet.

I have owned alot of helmets in my life, (and still do) but the RF really seems to fit me well above and beyond all the others.

My wife tried on my helmet and liked it so much we ended up buying her one too.

We are not ready yet to retire ours, but when we do, I am quite sure the RF1100 will be on the list as possible replacements.

So, someone buy one and give us a report on it already.............................

KM

I have to agree with the majority posters, but want to add that it (the RF-1000) is the lightest helmet I've ever worn. I can have this thing on my watermelon sized head all day (8+ hours) and still don't feel like it's getting heavy.

I would seriously consider waiting, though, until the new standards come out in a few months. Then again, as has been pointed out, the prices on the RF-1000 are starting to plummet.

Swingman Sends

Last edited by a moderator:
I weighed out my RF-1000 @ 3 Lbs 7-7/8 oz. with shield. Nothing lighter that meets DOT/Snell I believe. If they make a new one, my trusty digital scale awaits. Maybe they can beat the champ, but I doubt it.

Realistic Motorcycle Insurance Application:

1- Do you wear a helmet when you ride?

2- Are you willing to pay a higher premium every time someone that answers no to the question above gets his/her skull squashed like over-ripe fruit?

3- Have you ever seen brains on....

:blink:

Skully

I have a RF1000, so does my wife. We both enjoy them for their comfort, venting and light weight. The only thing I wish was different would be to have a removable liner, so that it could be washed. I believe that the new RF1100 has a removable liner. If you want to ask someone who is a nut about helmets, go to helmetharbor.com --- get the number and ask for Todd. That guy knows helmets. That being said, my brother just bought a RF1000, solid color for under $270.00 bucks, I believe that was at cyclegear.

I like my RF-1000. I crash tested it at 50mph and walked away without a headache. I replaced it with another one just like it.

I wear white because that's what the officers wear and I always wanted to be a cop.

I agree with Warchild - time to pick up a cheap clearance RF-1000.

Let's see...the questions was asked about the RF-1100 and we are now at 2 pages of hijack posts about RF-1000 helmets.

(Yes, I use an RF-1000....and a new one sitting on the counter awaiting installation of my communications equipment.)

DOH!!!!

Does anyone have any real world experience with the new RF-1100 (compared to the RF-1000) for those of us who MIGHT be interested in the new helmet?

No problem, Mike. The RF-1000 comments are very helpful. I would think (and hope) that the RF-1100 would be at least as good, with some measurable improvements. Hopefully a few will have some experience they care to relate.

An update: I bought a solid white RF-1100 for $369 two weeks ago. I can only compare it to my prior helmet, an Arai Quantum II. The Shoei is several ounces heavier, a bit larger (not round, with the wing in the back), but it has much better ventilation and is significantly quieter. The screen is easier to adjust (and replace), the viewing area is a little larger, and the fit is great. So far, so good.

All things considered, for me it is a preferable helmet and I'm glad I made the purchase. My Arai was a great lid, but was seven years old and had about 40k miles of usage.

Use whatever makes you happy; I'm just providing this update for perspective in case anyone else is considering a new lid. :good:

Sure sure. The Shoei is a great helmet. I have a 1000 and I loved everything about it except the fact that it was one size too small and it wasn't ECE 22-05 certified. So, I did some research (thanks Toecutter) and bought a Shark RSI for both myself and Anne Marie. We both love the fit, weight, look, and the ECE 22-05 cert.

My only complaint, and it's a small one is the top vent. A little noisy when open and the airflow is hardly noticeable. Given plenty of riding in 90 to 100 degree heat it didn't bother me a bit. When it's hot it's hot.

Anyway, do some research, especially regarding Snell vs. ECE and try on a lot of different helmets. My eyes were opened to the fact that heads and helmets come in different shapes. Who knew?

Mark

Bought a (2) new RF-1000's (w/ graphics) this weekend for myself and the wife. Got them for $255 ea. at Cycle Gear closeout sale. So, far... I love this helmet, very comfortable, quite, nice venting. Much better than our Icon, Main Frame's. Maybe someday I'll get a good deal on a RF-1100

At least the RF1100 is Snell M2010 approved, which is closer to the European standard, and less of a brain-buster than the old Snell standard. I've got the RF1000 and had other Shoei's before that. They seem to fit my large odd-shaped dome better than other brands. Find what fits you and wear it.

Or, if you've got an RF-1000...
How is it? How does it compare to other helmets you've had? Other helmet recommendations?

I'm considering a new lid, coming from an Arai Quantum II that's about 6-7 years old. TIA
I think your going to have a tough time switching from an Arai Quantum. You've been spoiled for 7 years. Nothing feels like an Arai.

GreyGoose

After the ads and info came out about the new RF1100, around the end of September, I took my dealer's 10% off any merchandise coupon and ordered a white XXL. They didn't know when to expect the new helmets but word on the 'net was October 1. Couple of weeks later I contacted Shoei's customer service for more information and was told that because of the size and color I wanted, November would be the earliest for availability. Guess if you have a fat head and don't want racer-rep graphics you are at the bottom of the list. Hope I really like the thing after all this but in another month it won't matter anymore until spring. Bummer.

PS- Arai seems to have a new lid on the way (ad in Rider magazine) and that usually means the whole line-up in short order. Maybe I'll stick with Arai...

pete

I've had my RF1000 for almost 3 years , and love it. I had 2 Schuberths before , both flip ups. They were more convienient as I wear glasses , and worked well in a serious crash. The Shoei is more comfortable for me .

I'm looking forward to the enhanced ventilation on the 1100 , should help in the Hot Lanta summers.

Have the RF1000, solid white. If the 1100 drives the price of the 1000 to around $200 I'll grab another one, also only in solid white

My favorite local shop for gear has at least two dozen RF-1100's in stock, but none in 2XL or 3XL :( They're breathing down Shoei's neck for me, and I'll get an email as soon as one in either size comes in. I wasn't picky on color... no sense waiting for a specific color since I gotta see how they fit first.

The 2XL RF-1000 is too snug for me, but since the RF-1100 comes in more shell sizes, I'm hoping a 2XL will work. Otherwise, I'll need a 3XL, which means no graphics. I've been wearing plain black helmets long enough, and I was hoping to get something with graphics.

Sure sure. The Shoei is a great helmet. I have a 1000 and I loved everything about it except the fact that it was one size too small and it wasn't ECE 22-05 certified. So, I did some research (thanks Toecutter) and bought a Shark RSI for both myself and Anne Marie. We both love the fit, weight, look, and the ECE 22-05 cert.
My only complaint, and it's a small one is the top vent. A little noisy when open and the airflow is hardly noticeable. Given plenty of riding in 90 to 100 degree heat it didn't bother me a bit. When it's hot it's hot.

Anyway, do some research, especially regarding Snell vs. ECE and try on a lot of different helmets. My eyes were opened to the fact that heads and helmets come in different shapes. Who knew?

Mark
minor hijack....

Couple questions....

1. Why were you specifically after ECE 22-05? For the 'more safety' or to be used in Europe?

2. I believe the helmet is ECE 22-05 certified. In the US it may not say it, but assuming it is the same helmet, it is (at least UK, where I bought mine).

I bought an XR-1000, which as far as I can see is the same as the RF-1000 you get in the US, in the UK. There they required some standard to be marked in the helmet, I didn't remember what it was, but seeing as ECE 22-05 has been out since then, it should have.

Some quick googling got me to find this

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/rf-1000/

Shoei's AIM+ (Advanced Integrated Matrix plus Multiple Fibers) combines fiberglass, organic fibers and some proprietary "high performance fiber" (which looks a lot like carbon fiber) in a patented mixture that keeps the helmet light in weight while offering high levels of protection. The RF-1000 is both DOT and Snell approved in the U.S.A., and ECE 22.05 and ACU Gold approved in Europe.

Just a curiousity....

I'm still annoyed that I can't find the 1100 here in Japan, where they are apparently made. :angry2: