The oh so famous PC-III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at the forum to find tweaks to do on my 2005 FJR and I keep seeing things about that Power Commander III. Seems that it almost completely fixes that 'power step' or 'jerk' when you open up the throttle a bit. I called to get prices and over here, the unit costs 390$ canadian, taxes included, and they want to charge me 250$ to install and to put the bike on the dyno (maybe i misunderstood the name of the machine) to tweak it out.

I have a few questions from the people who had it installed.

1) Is it really worth 650$ canadian ?

2) Are there any drawbacks to that unit? Are there problems that could occur over the long run with using a device that changes the fuel mixture? I would guess that fuel milage is decreased but how about engine build-ups ?

3) Will I have warranty problems after I installed that unit? I called the yamaha dealer but they told me that they dont' install those devices, only tweak shops do that.

4) Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for your input, it's well appreciated.

Buy the PC-III, install it yourself, change nothing. Enjoy!
+1

It is really not hard to do. Getting those stupid connectors apart was the hardest step of installation.

I've never heard of a pcIII causing problems unless you need to set the throttle position or reload the map, both of which take 5 minutes if you have a laptop.

To answer your first question, I would say that the value is dependent on how much the throttle glitches you describe are bothering you, and what else you have done to try to minimize it. I keep my throttle bodies in sync, use fresh plugs and a clean air filter and have not felt the need for a PCIII, even after I replaced the exhaust with a Muzzy system.

If you do want the PCIII, I agree with Jeff , install it yourself. If you are inclined, there are plenty of maps available for you to experiment with to find the one you like best.

Buy the PC-III, install it yourself, change nothing. Enjoy!
I'm a computer nerd with a set of ratchets and extremely basic mechanical knowledge, you think I can do this ?
Wait a minute, computer nerds don't drive really fast motorcycles..... Oh wait, I forgot about Radman!!! :p

Do some searches and read about the installation. Also look at FJRtech.com and look at the pictures. The whole thing takes 2-3 hours, it's not hard.

I read about that, I looked at some pictures, and once the tank is up, it looks farely simple except, I couldn't do mechanics if my life repended on it... well, maybe very basic stuff changing air filters and stuff but lifting up a gas tank and playing with wireing is not something I'm comfortable doing, although that machine does look damn easy to install since it has the connectors already on the wires. It's basically just lifting the tank, undoing the factory connectors, putting that thing inline and grounding it on the battery.

Maybe i'll buy it and try it myself, could be a nice way to get to know my machine.

Running the wires and seperating the connectors is by far the hardest part. The connectors are fool proof, they only fit on the proper corresponding connector. Make sure you run the ground to the battery terminal. I propped mine up with a peice of wood, just be sure you don't pull or pinch the fuel line. If you get stuck, post some pictures on the forum and someone will help you work it out.

Running the wires and seperating the connectors is by far the hardest part. The connectors are fool proof, they only fit on the proper corresponding connector. Make sure you run the ground to the battery terminal. I propped mine up with a peice of wood, just be sure you don't pull or pinch the fuel line. If you get stuck, post some pictures on the forum and someone will help you work it out.
keithaba is right if you need help it is available...after all that is performed...sign up for CFR & bring Pierre & the rest of the Quebec gang with you for a test ride :derisive: ......

As to the question "To answer your first question, I would say that the value is dependent on how much the throttle glitches you describe are bothering you, and what else you have done to try to minimize it.", I tried nothing basically because I figured, the bike is brand new (2700km total) and that's probably the 'best' as it'll be for a stock bike.

Does the jerk bother me a lot, not enough to prevent me from enoying the ride, but in traffic, when turning right at intersections, I find it very difficult to be gentle on the acceleration without giving it too much gas and playing with the clutch. I even head something go "tuck" when i re-accelerate. It kinda sounds like the transmission or drive shaft is picking up some 'slack' and re-accelerating again. I think smoothing out the acceleration could be very nice, although it's an expensive bet to take.

I read about that, I looked at some pictures, and once the tank is up, it looks farely simple except, I couldn't do mechanics if my life repended on it... well, maybe very basic stuff changing air filters and stuff but lifting up a gas tank and playing with wireing is not something I'm comfortable doing, although that machine does look damn easy to install since it has the connectors already on the wires. It's basically just lifting the tank, undoing the factory connectors, putting that thing inline and grounding it on the battery.
Maybe i'll buy it and try it myself, could be a nice way to get to know my machine.
If you just take your time and be careful you will be able to do it just fine. We had more trouble with the damn laptop than we did installing it on NovaFlyer's '06. Print off the directions on FJR tech, have a beer and dive right in. Too bad you weren't here in Nova Scotia, I would do it for the measly cost of a beer!

Installing it myself will drive my cost down to 390$ canadian tx included, which is more resonable. I think this might be a good investment.

One thing comes to mind though, why isn't this 'street legal'? It feeds more fuel so it pollutes more ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be very pleased with the results. I love the Power Commander.

Download the Wally Kilburg Smoothness Map, and you will swear you have a new bike.

The installation took less than 1 hour, using Warchild's excellent directions.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=10

Quote from Wally

"My bike with this map is dead assed smooth; the throttle is to die for... the bike lags nowhere

and picks up power from any rpm at the snap of the wrist. I hope it's the same for you."

I can vouch for that.

Don't forget to disconnect the oxygen sensor.

Zoltan :D

One thing comes to mind though, why isn't this 'street legal'? It feeds more fuel so it pollutes more ?
Anything that increases the exhaust emissions beyond manufacturer's published standards is considered "illegal" in most states/areas. The reason the new bikes have such crappy throttle response is to achieve significantly reduced emissions without redesigning the power plants. You're just putting the FUN back into the bike.

Excellent, I think I'll get myself one and install it myself. The first place I called is insisting on me leaving the bike there 2 days so that they can put it on the Dyno for whatever reason. I think they are trying to rip me off a bit :D If so many of you installed it with the factory settings and already saw a big difference, it should be the same for me since i'm not looking at adding 5-6 HP at 10000 RPM anyways, I just want a smoooooth throttle.

Done! It's ordered, I'll have it in 2-3 days. They have a used one for sale but just the unit, no software or cable and that could be a pain in the butt to find so I went ahead and ordered a new one for 390$ canadian. Can't wait to see the difference it'll make.

I also want to adjust the cable and remove some of the slack, it does have a good 3/8th of play from the 'rested' position untill you actually feel like you're pulling the throttle cable.

Excellent, I think I'll get myself one and install it myself. The first place I called is insisting on me leaving the bike there 2 days so that they can put it on the Dyno for whatever reason. I think they are trying to rip me off a bit :D If so many of you installed it with the factory settings and already saw a big difference, it should be the same for me since i'm not looking at adding 5-6 HP at 10000 RPM anyways, I just want a smoooooth throttle.

Look this over, also.

Clicky

Also an easy self install.

LC

Well, it arrived early this morning, I did the install at a friend's place (taking advantage of a nice garage) and it took us less than an hour, and that's cause we were really carefull with removing and moving covers to make sure we didn't scratch anything.

I downloaded the new software and kept the original map 'Stock FJR with o2 sensor disconnected' and I already see a huge difference. The bike is much smoother when operating with the throttle barely open. I downloaded the other 'smooth' map and I will try it out over the weekend probably. I gotta say, having your laptop connected to the motorcycle is pretty darn cool, specially when you're a computer geek AND a motorcycle enthouz!

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I'm very happy with the PC-III. Not a cheap mod but worth the investment.

Well, it arrived early this morning, I did the install at a friend's place (taking advantage of a nice garage) and it took us less than an hour, and that's cause we were really carefull with removing and moving covers to make sure we didn't scratch anything.
I downloaded the new software and kept the original map 'Stock FJR with o2 sensor disconnected' and I already see a huge difference. The bike is much smoother when operating with the throttle barely open. I downloaded the other 'smooth' map and I will try it out over the weekend probably. I gotta say, having your laptop connected to the motorcycle is pretty darn cool, specially when you're a computer geek AND a motorcycle enthouz!

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I'm very happy with the PC-III. Not a cheap mod but worth the investment.
I really don't have any issues with the day to day riding but the get going fast twist of the wrist seems a little slow and then kicks in. I guess this will fix it but also hear it decreases the fuel mileage. let me know what you think about the overall fuel use.