The Pepsi Challenge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Malve has an interesting point. However, there are those in in this world that will prefer the AE and those that will not. Some like the idea of shifting, it gives a sense of control and power. Others like to worry less about shifting and concentrait more on where they are going or the scenery.

I don't think either one is above the other, it's a personal preference thing. I think it's great that mamma yammaha offered up both, but they haven't really marketed the AE. Actually, in my corner of the world, they don't market either bike. I only stumbled acrossed an FJR when I took my Vmax in for a new front tire. Saw this interesting bike tucked in the corner of the showroom floor and figured since I had time to kill, I'd check it out.

Had that not happened, I'd still have the max and would still be ignorant of the FJR.

Wasn't it just a few years ago that it was really hard to find a car with stick shift?

almost everything except the very bottom line was auto...

Now the big thing is paddles... Althought I feel if you don't used a clutch it's kinda like the old push button Chrysler stuff...

but that's ok, at least it's getting people into feeling that they are actually driving instead of just sitting there....

As far as bikes and AE, sometimes it would be great not to have to use a clutch... like sitting in the tourist traffic up on the North Shore of O'ahu on a Sunday afternoon during spring.... all the traffic stops when a whale surfaces... and that big tail comes down and hits the water... way cool!

mary

I hope Yamaha continues with the AE and does not dump it like they did with the GT 1000. I find it disappointing that as a group motorcyclists are more concerned with looks than performance.

Phil

Checking in on this one. I had an 05 and have an 06 AE. I have no complaints with either bike, both are strong performers, virtually trouble free(at least mine) and have carried mesafely for many many miles in IBA runs and various rallies. Both of them were outfitted with fuel cells and custom saddles and lots of farkles.

I do like to be able to slip the clutch in some situations such as being cimpletely stopped and have to go lock to lock to make a turn, I find the non AE preferable. But in short order, I was able to control the throttle input on the AE to make tight starts with big turns.

I think for those that have not ridden the AE bike think that control of the bike is turned over to a computer chip to make gear shifts. That is not the case at all. On AEs, all shifts must be made manually by the rider. He must flip the handlebar control lever or the foot shifter, one or the other.

I find the AE to be more smooth to ride in the twisties with its nearly instant downshifts and upshift and quick throttle response.

I hope Yamaha continues to sell bikes with the AE type system. I have read that Honda is coming out with an automatic transmission(??) that also allows manual shifting.

I think the paddle concept is the wave of the future for motorcycles.

Last edited by a moderator: