The Rear View Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The space occupied by that gizmo would have been much better used for an air conditioning/chiller system to keep the head cool on hot days.

Who needs mirrors or rear view helmets if you're already going faster than everybody else? Course, it might help at the racetracks when they put the Ultralights in the same practice session as the middleweight 600's....

Seems like that could take some getting used to. When you turn your head left, you will see more of what's back and to the right, unlike looking at the your mirror on the bike. I think it might be easy to get disoriented in a panic situation.

Yeah I agree with all of you..... its weird.... just thought I'd post it for conversations sake....

I'll be stickin with my Shoei's..... :)

I would also wonder how different riding positions,i.e. head down-sport bike vs. head up- touring bike, would change the image size if not the viewing area behind the rider. They should also integrate some rear radar sensor with audio alert in the package as well! :D

Wonder how it'll deal with lights approaching from the rear.
Radman - I asked them about night driving and sunstrike and they answered:

"The helmet has a series of reflective surfaces that limit the intensity of light hitting the front reflective surface. This limits the intensity of reflected light significantly such as low sun or car lights. Even a slight turn of the head can ensure the reflective light path is stopped."

It won't be long before the technology to put a small camera on the back of the bike and a display on the front is pretty inexpensive and reliable. Probably better than getting used to these mirrors.

It won't be long before the technology to put a small camera on the back of the bike and a display on the front is pretty inexpensive and reliable. Probably better than getting used to these mirrors.
You know, I'd swear I remember the Duc MH900E coming with rear view cameras from the factory, but I can't find anything to substantiate that. Maybe it was just the prototype that had them?? Anybody else have any such recollection?

It won't be long before the technology to put a small camera on the back of the bike and a display on the front is pretty inexpensive and reliable. Probably better than getting  used to these mirrors.
You know, I'd swear I remember the Duc MH900E coming with rear view cameras from the factory, but I can't find anything to substantiate that. Maybe it was just the prototype that had them?? Anybody else have any such recollection?
The show bike had that, the production bike doesn't.

I'm pretty sure the turbine powered Y2K jet superbike has a rear view camera system. For about 150K, it's standard equipment! :)

With luck I'll let you know about this helmet. I should have one coming. Assuming it gets through customs.