The Risks of Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double_entendre

Reaction score
Read this column in today's LA Times. I'd provide a link, but you have to log in to see the article. Easy enough to find if it's important, but the column is pasted below.

Not sure what I think about the column or how to respond to it. Part of it comes down to a basic disagreement between the husband and wife about what is acceptable behavior for the husband, specifically with regard to riding. In the best of all worlds it's be something that was addressed and resolved before you got married in the first place. I know I told my wife before we got married that someday I'd get a bike again, but she says her hope was always that I'd grow out of it. *shrug* I never did and if you saw my other post recently, she's riding also now. So we get to worry about each other.

I just never signed off on the idea that you have to stop taking risks because you have a family, but you have to adequately address those risks before you take 'em. Insurance, for example. A poor substitute for a father and husband, but it's better than being alone *and* broke.

Anyway, submitted for your contemplation.

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Human Struggle Is Real Story

May 4 2006

The cameras will be on him. The headlines will be about him. The prayers will be with him.

The race is about horses but the focus will be on a human, this Saturday's Kentucky Derby being about paralyzed trainer Dan Hendricks.

He trains the favored Brother Derek, yet he cannot leap for his horse down the stretch, nor run to his horse after a win, nor even stand next to his horse if he reaches the winners' circle.

Hendricks, based at Santa Anita, could become the first trainer to saddle a Derby winner that he cannot walk or ride.

The angles will be soft, the edges will be honed, the story will be heartwarming.

And most of it will be wrong.

"It's so sickening," said Hendricks' wife, Samantha. "It's so ridiculous."

While showing only the filtered sunlight that is his Derby moment, the cameras will miss the gritty backstretch of Hendricks' life.

While describing only the wheelchair, the headlines will neglect the truth that lives there.

He injured himself while riding a dirt bike his wife begged him not to ride.

He returned to work only because he felt he didn't have a choice.

His success comes from things that weren't affected by his ability to walk. He still had the vision to buy Brother Derek, the experience to work him, and the feel to hone him.

Hendricks says he is not trying to inspire anyone.

He's simply trying to win a race amid lingering anger and frustration from losing the use of his legs.

For two minutes Saturday, it could be beautiful. But the rest of the time, it's not always so pretty.

If you must tell a story, they say, tell that one.

""How did this become a sap story?" Samantha said.

Dan, 47, agreed.

"I'm not a hero like a policeman, a fireman, a doctor," he said. "I'm just a guy who screwed around with his weekend hobby and paid for it."

It happens all the time, doesn't it? I write about these things every other week, don't I?

Someone is injured, and they immediately become an inspiration. Someone uses a wheelchair, and they quickly become Mother Teresa.

Too often, it seems, the person becomes the disability, and personality is lost in the platitudes.

Not this time. Not this story. Not about a husband and wife who are very human and very hurting.

I met Dan at an Arcadia mall restaurant, where he ordered a pizza with no water or soda because too much liquid can be a pain to his paralyzed system.

He wheeled in quickly ahead of me, kept his head down and his voice low.

"I don't want to be the guy everyone points out," he said. "I don't want it to be like, 'Oh my God, he's in a wheelchair, look what he can do in a wheelchair!' "

I spoke to his wife later by phone. She is a respected horse trader, married to Dan for 19 years — and with no plans to attend the Derby.

"It might all be too much," she said. "I was very angry at what he put us through, and I'm still trying to bury the hatchet."

This may not be what people want to read. But it is the unvarnished truth, and that is the only thing the Hendricks are selling.

The reality is, Hendricks has saddled more than 70 stakes winners and his first Derby appearance would be worthy of the front page without the wheelchair.

And the reality is, he had been warned repeatedly by his wife against riding dirt bikes on motocross courses, particularly after Hendricks' brother nearly lost his hand in an accident. Yet he did it anyway.

"I told those guys they were crazy to ever ride," Samantha said. "I very plainly told him not to do it, that it was wrong, that because he had a wife and three children, it was irresponsible."

Hendricks raced motorcycles as a youngster, though, and recently began fooling around on them again.

He loved speed, he took all the safety precautions, and, in July 2004, he stopped at a track on the way home from working horses.

"None of the wives like us to do it," said Jack Burger, a longtime friend of Hendricks. "But it's something we all love, and boys need to have their fun."

This time, that fun lasted about a half hour, before Hendricks' bike crashed and he broke his neck, paralyzing him from the waist down.

His wife was so upset, she didn't visit him in the hospital for several days.

"I went through a lot of depression, spent a lot of time looking at the ceiling," Dan said. "I had a lot of guilt, wondering, 'What did I do to myself? What did I do to my family?' "

After several months, his 25-horse barn needing him, his clients supporting him, he rolled out of the rehabilitation hospital and back to the track.

"There was not one moment of inspiration, it was just a matter of necessity," Hendricks said. "You can't sit around all day."

Maneuvering his chair through the dirt and hay was hard, but manageable. What he lost in being unable to ride the horses, perhaps he gained in being closer to them.

"Horses feel much more secure at creatures they can look down upon," he said. "They all look down on me now."

He can get closer to his horses now. He can whisper more easily to them now. He feeds Brother Derek carrots and communicates at a different level.

On Saturday, the sports world will see Dan Hendricks sitting trackside with his three children, a portrait of unfailing grace and undeniable courage.

But Dan and Samantha hope everyone looks past that.

They hope the world sees only a smart horseman, a strong horse and a human struggle.

Said Samantha: "If Dan wins the Derby, that's going to help, but one day this ride is going to be over, and reality is going to set in, and nobody sees that."

Said Dan: "This is not me trying to make a statement. This is just me trying to move on."

Bill Plaschke can be reached at [email protected]. To read previous columns by Plaschke, go to latimes.com/plaschke.

Good read....

but all I gotta say is whatta Bitch :poorfool:

Your husband is in the hospital paralyzed and you don't go see him till a few days later and then keep giving him a hard time about it later.... :feminist_en:

She's entitled. After all, she told him so... :angry2:

I expect after he's good and sick of the guilt trip he'll move on without her and they'll both be happier. She sure doesn't sound like the forgiving kind.

She's entitled. After all, she told him so... :angry2:
Man, if that was the first thing I heard when I woke up in the hospital ("I told you so") I'd go ballistic.

Or as ballistic as a parapalegic can. ;)

I expect after he's good and sick of the guilt trip he'll move on without her and they'll both be happier. She sure doesn't sound like the forgiving kind.
You could be right. Bitter is probably a good term for it. Obviously it's all about her and her needs and what he should do for her kids....

Shrew.

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

She didn't want him riding a bike, But riding horses is OK..... How many people have been injured falling off or getting bucked off a Horse????????

Didn't Christopher Reeve snap his neck riding a horse? Don't remember his wife shoving it back in his face... :glare:

Yep, Superman broke his neck coming off a horse. She stood by him, what he loved, no regrets, no "I told you so", or anything. In fact, I think she hid a lot of her own problems while she stood by him. She died very recently of cancer. The public never knew she had it until her death.

Yep, Superman broke his neck coming off a horse. She stood by him, what he loved, no regrets, no "I told you so", or anything. In fact, I think she hid a lot of her own problems while she stood by him. She died very recently of cancer. The public never knew she had it until her death.
True! She was only like 44 YO.

I look at things fatalisticly. You are better off dying doing something you want to do. You can die plugging in a toaster. Your ticker can stop at anytime. I almost died in the second grade and was in a coma for 9 days. I figure all the time living past that is borrowed time. TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
My ex always told me there would be no motorcycles in the relationship. It worked out fine, as I had come from a POS Harley, was ready for a nice long break and no other bikes turned my head during that marriage.

When considering buying the FJR, I told Eve the "no motorcycles" story.

A second later she said, "Well, if you don't buy a motorcycle, I'll divorce you."

She was kidding of course, but her point was that she didn't want to be with someone who would check his happiness at the door (within the boundaries of reason, naturally). Then, when I got stung and was laying there unconscious in the ER, the doc told her I needed to sell the bike immediately and give up riding. She didn't sign on to his BS either. She's a keeper! :yahoo:

That bitch in the article is a bigger part of his bad kharma than the broken neck. BTDT

I almost died in the second grade and was in a coma for 9 days.
Same here. Nearly drowned at nine. No coma, but I haven't been the same since. The bee thing was a real refresher course in living life to the fullest, one day at a time. Tomorrow's my first SS1K!

Toe, I would bet our wives would get along famously. They appear to share many philosophies. For me, this is marriage #3. I cannot overstate the importance of being married to the right woman. Choosing a wife will make you or break you. And I don't mean money. (well, that too.)

I didn't read the whole thing but I got the idea.

I am currently suffering 3 broken ribs and a broken collarbone. Yes, pale in comparison to being paralyzed or dead but it isn't my point.

After it happened my neighbor and HR rep totally wanted me to give up riding. Even started with the stories about this being exactly why they didn't let their kids have motorcycles etc.

My thing is one is an ex-cop the other lives in Colorado and ski's.

Risks? Man How many stories can we read about people in their cars even just sitting at a light and having a car behind them kill them. It happened in my neighborhood where a politician and his family was killed by someone who had a seizure and ran completely over them.

My point is we all take risks and many see cars as a necessary risk and accept it and see motorcycles as indulgent. My point is I am doing something I love to do while you are simply going to work riding in a cage that you simply see as a tool. Now who is really risking their life and without any enjoyment in doing so???

Toe, I would bet our wives would get along famously. They appear to share many philosophies. For me, this is marriage #3. I cannot overstate the importance of being married to the right woman. Choosing a wife will make you or break you. And I don't mean money. (well, that too.)
2247302-plus1.gif
On all of the above. #3 for me as well. And I already found the one that broke me (financially and mentally). Considering where I am now, it would have been a bargain at twice the price.

My point is we all take risks and many see cars as a necessary risk and accept it and see motorcycles as indulgent. My point is I am doing something I love to do while you are simply going to work riding in a cage that you simply see as a tool. Now who is really risking their life and without any enjoyment in doing so???
To quote William Wallace from my all-time favorite movie, "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Are we dying or living? <Rhetorical here>

DSC01086.jpg

Hmm...I suppose that if my wife didn't visit me for a few days and her excuse was she was depressed and angry, I'd say something to the effect of ,"When I needed you the most, you were too weak and selfish to be there for me. Therefore, I don't want you in the good times. Goodbye."

A spouse sticks by you and inspires you. He should have got out of bed because his wife was there driving him to the best recovery possible and driving him to live life to the fullest. This is an example of self centered people not giving a damn. Not once did I hear the, "Well, it could have been worse."

They don't want to be the happy story of accomplishment despite hardships. No. They'd rather be bitter and complain about shit. They deserve each other.

Another man(Orangedude) with a REAL wife, obviously.
When I got hurt recently on my dirt bike many of the emergency workers were telling me to get rid of my bike.

When I called my wife from trauma the first thing I said to her was that I might sell it and was it worth it.

She said to me, "No you are not selling it, you know as soon as you are better you will want another one."

The biggest crime against another? When you make it NOT OKAY for them to be who they are. REAL wives never do this. Glad I finally found one. LIFE IS GOOD AND IT ONLY GETS BETTER FROM HERE.

Said Samantha: "If Dan wins the Derby, that's going to help, but one day this ride is going to be over, and reality is going to set in, and nobody sees that."

Said Dan: "This is not me trying to make a statement. This is just me trying to move on.......speaking of moving on, Samantha, you are right, one day the ride will be over, and that day is today. Get the hell out of my life you selfish retard."

I think that should say: "Get the hell out of my life you selfish retard BEOTCH!"