The Toy Hauler Travel Trailer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've got a 30 foot Class A motorhome and pull a 7X10 enclosed trailer that fits both bikes. We've done Arizona (Grand Canyon), Southern Utah (Bryce and Zion), and next year hopefully will do southern Colorado.

You can't really consider this camping, as RV parks have all the amenities and your own RV is a home away from home. We pick a nice RV park to use a Base Camp, and do day rides, or sometimes an overnighter, returning to the RV. We love it. Of course, you have to be committed to using the RV more than once or twice a year, even without the bikes.

Right now the prices for all RV's (Trailers, 5th Wheels, Class A or C) are incredibly low, especially used. Its a buyers market in the RV world right now.

For sure I will be wanting some travel tips from you about the Grand Canyon. That's the next big trip being planned for next year.

Two leading options, depending on others who may travel with us is:'

1. Renting a Bclass with ramp gate and storage area to carry bikes...exactly like Cota95 has/had.

2. Renting a U-haul truck one way, and hotel/camp when we get there.

Just can't justify ownership, when for sure I am not going to get no more than 3 trips per year. Renting

one just has to be done at least once though; it looks like alot of fun....except the 10mpg fuel consumption.

Thanks.

I have a Ford 350 gas engined pickup WITH A LANCE TRUCK CAMPER and I tow a 5 x 8 covered trailer in which I haul my FJR with plenty of room for more junk. I have gotten 10 mpg in a little over 19k miles as I full-time throughout the US. My speed for that mpg is between 60 - 65 mph. Incredible versatility with this set up: easy to take the truck out from underneath the camper if I need a vehicle other than my bike.

I suggest you take a look at this set-up.

By the way, I've heard that folks with "toy haulers" sometimes suffer from gas fumes form their toys getting into the living quarters.

Jim O

By the way, I've heard that folks with "toy haulers" sometimes suffer from gas fumes form their toys getting into the living quarters.

Jim O
I really want to go this route - Truck camper and trailer. My toy hauler is nice but it is just to big to have fun on quick local trips.

I've never had an issue with gas fumes and sleep with the bikes inside sometimes. I can see that happening if your leaking or spill fuel.

storage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the completely opposite direction in toy hauling/camping. I don't have space to store a large RV, and no desire to add yet another large SUV or truck to my stable (already have one SUV), so I decided to think small.

Bought an Aluma 548, which is a super lightweight 320lb trailer last week, primarily to haul me and the boy's dirt bikes, though it will fit exactly one,and only one, FJR. It came with nice 14" upgraded alum. mag wheels, and holds 2000lbs.

548_solid_side_rack_and_bi-fold_gate_l.jpg

Why so small? Well, I then swapped my daily driver for an AWD Honda Element, and made a date two months out in San Diego with Ursa Minor. They take perfectly normal Honda Elements and turn them into this:

640GrayClosed.JPG

640GrayOpen.JPG

163_0908_14z+honda_element_camper+open_side.jpg

The Ecamper conversion turns the Element into a mini RV that can actually sleep 2 adults below and 2 kids (or adults) above, adds only a 150 lbs to a stock Element, and has no impact on gas mileage (about 24 mpg). You access the sleeping area up top via a cut out in the roof, like the recent vintage VW Westfalias. Up top, it has a large 2 person sleep area with comfy foam mattress. Down below, the standard Element has internal seats that fold completely flat, which makes the platform tailored perfectly for a 3" Cabela's deluxe mattress pad. I took the boys out camping recently and slept soundly. Tight quarters to be sure, and not anything like Auburn's nice big comfy trailer, but then again, I can drive it to work every day and park it in my driveway.

They are gearing up to the same thing for Jeeps soon.

While the towing capacity of an Element is nothing special, it easily towed my 2 dirt bikes and gear, and still managed 18-20 mpg. With the Ecamper, I think I'll be able to manage a short overnite dirt bike trips with the boys, though anything longer than a 2 night trip and I'd be aiming for a hotel. Probably would switch the larger SUV to tow the FJR; though the Element could manage the weight, it would be breathing heavily in the mountain passes. With our Honda Pilot, I can barely tell it's back there.

Truth be told, if you ever see me hauling my FJR on a trailer, it better be on the way home from a trip where I broke down, or because Carver made me the official marshall at the Candy Butt Gala and my 'rhoids were acting up that week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool setup on the Element, reminds me of a camper shell that had a flip over roof to make a tent (think it was made by Six Pack).

I've done the toyhauler route, and now have a Class C motorhome, which I bought used from El Monte RV. It cost less than half of a new one this way, came with a 5 year warranty on the engine and transmission, and full service history. When I had my toyhauler, I had the cheapest, lightest Carson Funrunner, and it was a good match to my 1/2-ton Dodge (though I did wind up re-gearing the axles). But the big issue that had has change was the fact that we had to unload the trailer, set it up for camping, then tear it down from camping configuration to travel configuration every time, and it got old. I now have a 6x12 box trailer (winter is dune season in the Southwest) that I hardly notice behind the motorhome. Scooting down the road, my wife can get me a snack or beverage, our dog can walk around (and we have a spill resistant water bowl for him), and if we want to stop somewhere, all I do is find a reasonably level area to park. At some point I do plan on upgrading the motorhome to something like the Damon Outlaw (Class A motorhome with a "garage").

Okay, I went to Mt. Rushmore and absolutely loved the Riding and camping in South Dakota; well in that area.

Never had gone, and was able to ride some historic areas as well as peek in on the Sturgis Rally.

The largest regret was that my wife is no way gonna ride 1400 miles in 2 days as I did, well in any

days for that matter.

We just did the full 3 sisters in Texas Hill Country over Labor day weekend 782 miles in all over 3 days

and she enjoyed it...back to point.

I thoroughly enjoyed my ride and it inspired me to start to planning on seeing many of the other areas around the U.S.

I also want her to go with me. So, plan is to pull the two bikes just so we can experience the riding and camping

together. We were thinking getting a truck and separate trailer, but I like my SUV; it's my second mode of transportation

behind the FJR. However, that would mean a greater expense of a new truck which I would not drive much.

Doing some searching I stumbled upon these trailers called Toy Haulers...they look really neat.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I am guessing 8ft wide is plenty of room for my FJR

and her M90 Boulevard. Is it the best way to travel if you want to carry bikes and camp in a nice trailer

opposed to sleeping in a pitch tent?

Plan on using it for traveling when we take the boys as well. At least 4-6 times a year.

They say that they can be pulled by a v6 SUV, so my RX300 should qualify I think. Never used it for that.

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.

W.L.

It is a nice way to go to get wife along(RV towing trailer)I think some folks neglect the significant other. I have a one-ton chev dually,camper, and a 6by12 enclosed trailer. Think portable garage for crappy weather and all gear hangs in trailer which saves a lot of room. Course its only one bike, 06 wing which I got for the wifes comfort. When I am out it is FJR time./quote]

Also read the fine print, a lot of listed towing weights require brakes on the trailer also.

I know you've had a lot of responses basically shooting down your idea. I know it sucks, but it is what it is.

We have a 23 foot Trail Lite camper that weighs 3500 something empty and 5300 something full. I pull it with either our 4x4 F150 or our Expedition.

As light as it is, that is about the biggest I would go with either of those vehicles. Remember, the weight of the tow vehicle has a lot to do with how much we can actually pull.

If the trailer's weight is more than a certain percentage of the tow vehicle's weight, we end up with a "tail wagging the dog" scenario. That's why 5th wheel set ups are better than bumper pull set ups. The 5th wheel reduces the wagging.

If you're gonna pull a toy hauler, you're gonna need a bigger vehicle.

VASTEVE asked me to post the following pics of a 6X12 V nose trailer that he converted. It hauls 2 bikes. Post or PM to VASTEVE if you have any questions about his conversion.

DSCN0520.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

DSCN0523.jpg

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0519.jpg

Really nice.

Before I knew about Toyhauler's I was thinking of doing the same thing.

A small challenge for my carpentry skills, but doable all the same. Very nicely done.

Thinking for now, until I can prove to myself and wife that we will use it enough, we are just going

to rent a Bclass toyhauler and get the experience and see from there. It will be a little costly but we have

to see if we can manage it; packing, unpacking, sleeping, packing again.

All was very right; can't pull anything with my rx, so Bclass rental is #1 on the list.

Thanks again.

We picked up a toyhauler in 2009. Hard to find a smaller one, but very happy with the Keystone Passport 23 foot we bought. Now we can take the dogs (3) with us. It is truly 1/2 ton towable (using both a 2002 F150 supercab, 4.6L and a 2010 super crew with a 4.6L). Reluctantly have it up for sale as my mother in law is likely moving in soon and will limit our time on the road. So plan on selling and putting the funds into a cabin on some mountain land we have.

ForSale020.jpg

ForSale021.jpg

That is clean.

Went to Galveston this past weekend for the Gumbo Fest/Boat & RV show.

Well, mostly for the ride with friends....

I be darn if out of all those beautiful big homes on wheels they had; they did not

bring a Toy-Hauler.

But after looking with the wife at what is going on inside of those trailers, fifth wheels and such

we were thoroughly impressed with the design and functionality of all of them.

Definitely gonna rent one on the next family trip.