The Ultimate Battery !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
It is time for a new battery.

What is the best replacement battery for the FJR that you have used?

Where is the best place to get this battery?

Thank you for your help and feedback, it is kindly appreciate it :rolleyes:

I just changed out a bikemaster ultimate that was 7.5 years old. It still tests good but I was getting some slow cranking. I replaced it with a Bikemaster TruGel. Cranking is better but I think I will go after the starter this winter.

Bikemaster is Tucker Rocky's house brand so they are avaliable nationwide

51V6hCKHFDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

google prices elsewhere

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042PH76Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=AY0DADTL31CJP

I like mine too, but..............

Price has gotten a LOT higher than the $65 or so I paid about two years ago. And it doesn't fit perfectly. The top retaining bar had to be finessed a bit which was a pain in the ass. Not sure what I will go with next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with the OEM Yausa? I bought my bike new in July 2007. Still in the OEM battery. Seems like I'm getting my money's worth.

Still waiting for my factory battery to die, doesn't look look like it's going to happen anytime soon. Took delivery in July 04.

When it goes I'm going with a Yuasa sealed. I've always used these and never been disappointed or stranded.

YT14B-BS.jpg

Got almost 8 years out of the original YAUSA battery. No tender, cold NJ winter storage and it always fired up in the spring. Leaving my GPS unit plugged in for a week finally killed it.

Just went back to the OEM Yuasa last week - $95.00 at Batteries Plus here in MN.

The battery I just replaced was a 2.5 year old WestCo that load tested fine but when heated up and vibrating during a ride it would go intermittent on me and the voltage would flutter like crazy on my monitor. I thought I was having stator & R/R problems.

I knew something was up because my Clearwater Kristas would flash full on and then back to the low setting. It was about driving me crazy because I thought the lights were at fault, but they were not.

The original OEM Yuasa lasted 4.5 years and I've gone through (3) of the WestCo battery's in the last 5.5 years. You would think I would have learned my lesson after the 2 WestCo failures in 3 years, but I bought a third one. :blink:

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess or perhaps a cheap ass that thought I was going to save some money.

I bought a Shorai Lithium for about 180.00. It is much smaller than the original also. Yes it is kind of expensive but produces 13.3 no load volts. It only weighs in at 1.5 pounds so, subtracting the cost of the replacement lead acid battery($50 or more), it only cost me 130 (or less) to drop 8.5 pounds. I don't think that a half bad deal.

I bought a Shorai Lithium for about 180.00. It is much smaller than the original also. Yes it is kind of expensive but produces 13.3 no load volts. It only weighs in at 1.5 pounds so, subtracting the cost of the replacement lead acid battery($50 or more), it only cost me 130 (or less) to drop 8.5 pounds. I don't think that a half bad deal.
You also live in Pismo Beach. There are some legitimate concerns for those that live in places where it gets significantly colder about the Shorai's limitations.